Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

But it could also mean more people would come forward with accusations against Kotick and perhaps giving him his due. One can hope.

Realistically, I know that probably won’t happen. People with the means don’t pay the time, so to speak. But I’d like to believe something good will come out of this.

Perhaps, but it shuts out Playstation gamers from all those games forever.

Wow! If all of this comes to Gamepass there is just no way they can keep it at the current $15. They are going to have to raise that price or create tiered content in the service.

This is big, but I’m really curious to see what they do with the Kaboom! license.

Yeah, on one hand it’s great news for GamePass… on the other hand after Zenimax and now ActiBlizzard, it will be time for a sub increase.

So is MS’s stance toward China less obsequious than ActiBlizz was?

Asking for a … friend… who is tempted to re-up with WoW Classic

1. Holy shit-balls.
  2. $68 billion. Whew!
  3. I love that they mention Guitar Hero in the announcement, as if anyone cares.
  4. PlayStation Call of Duty players are howling.
  5. Holy shit-balls.

Yes, MS shutdown LinkedIn in China rather than censor it.

I don’t think we’ll see a large Game Pass cost increase anytime soon, but I can’t imagine they’ll keep the conversion loophole open for long.

Dammit. MS needs to buy Sega, not Activision.

Activision is a distressed asset with all the scandals so MS got it cheap and is fundamentally a much more valuable acquisition. They bought it for the stock price 6 months ago, not even a premium over that.

Yeah, that’s what I was hoping for too.

So I literally didn’t know that ‘metaverse’ was a thing (except for being a Snowcrash reference) until I saw this news item on the New York Times. Turns out there’s a whole Wired article about the rise of the term.

Anyway that blurb raises various Grumpy Old Man hairs on the back of my neck, but whatever. Also, I kinda feel like MS already ‘bet on the metaverse’ by, y’know, making the goddamn Xbox…

I rushed straight to QT3 to discuss this huge news and then I realized it doesn’t affect me all that much. Shrug.

Even the MS press release drops “metaverse” in the lead. They know how to talk Wall Street.

Between this and Bethesda, it’s starting to feel like Original Gangsta Microsoft again, an era when this actually felt plausible to a lot of people. (Arguably the first great Internet hoax.)

Microsofts’ next purchase is EA.

MS probably has the best “take” on the metaverse with its augmented reality hololens project, but none of this will materialize until headsets are, like, one tenth the weight, last a couple hours, and cost $99.

Look at the bright side: they didn’t discuss how the merger positions them as a leader in NFTs…

Hey, us plastic-peripheral-rhythm-game fans need something, anything, to hold on to!

Eh, I don’t think you spend that kind of money if that’s the goal. I still think this is all about GP, and in that way I can see MS pushing for GP on Sony/Nintendo so you could see the cloud app possibly show up if either of them are willing to play ball, and acquisitions like this make it harder and harder for them not to.