Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

I pay $14.99/mo for Gamepass. What am I doing wrong?

He is talking about people abusing the Xbox live conversion thing I think, which the vast majority of subscribers likely don’t do. Most pay the regular price.

1. Stop, and let the subscription lapse.
  2. Add (up to) 3 years of Gold to your account ($150ish? If you look at the right key shops)
  3. Resubscribe to Ultimate, it will convert the Gold sub to (up to) 3 full years of Ultimate, this step will likely cost $15

You really should never have to pay $15/month for it though. You have the conversion trick, you can find gamepass cards on sale for about $10/month periodically, and then you also have the microsoft rewards that you can cash in for gamepass.

Yep, do what wavey said. You don’t need to go to keyshops either, Newegg regularly has a year of XBLG for $50.

This would mean that Tesla is the biggest automotive manufacturer in the world, and that’s not remotely true.

I think that the 2020-2022 era of finance and crypto has ruined the word “market-cap” because that is how every crypto project is sold, “it is worth 200M dollars” just means 200M dollars of fake money exists, and that is taking a lot of leaps of faith for those projects.

Stocks and actual physical companies are a completely different thing, but whenever I see the word market cap I cringe. Blame crypto for that. Market cap is still very useful for determining value, stock value is value. While I think stock value is way over-inflated, I also think that it has value.

It might be worth pointing out that Activisions P/E ratio are about the same as Tesla. Anything above 30 is “high” which means the company is selling for a lot more than they are making right now. Tesla’s P/E was like over 1000 at the end of 2020, and has since fallen to earth in the last year or so, the stock has dropped, and they have sold a lot of cars.

True by virtue of “market cap” but no one is remotely fooled if you went by actual manufacturing capacity.

Ultimately you can measure a size of a company using many metrics (number of employees?). This doesn’t necessarily have relevance with the subject matter in question for example market influence or impact (for a given definition of market!).

I think it is important to look at a lot more than market cap, because that is a fluid number that may not be tied to actual value. In the cases of these companies, outside of Activision it is probably fine, because I don’t see anything inflating the price. Activision is likely inflated due to the possible pending buy-out that attracted people to the stock. Not that market cap is useless, because it means that the stock is worth more, and they are worth more.

To me, this is all about the purchase of IP, so revenue makes sense to look at. How much money are each of those IP they are purchasing bringing in annually? And how much would that increase the revenue of the portfolio of each company.

Since I got the xbox a couple months ago I am finally going to give this a go, now that I am using xbox game pass again. So here’s hoping they don’t finally kill the loop hole before the 28th.

Ruined may be too harsh a word. I think it shines a light on why market speculation doesn’t equate to real value, which is how Buffett became so rich. Tesla is a very, very valuable company and until the last few months it was somewhat justified, their YoY growth was pretty amazing. Market cap is a metric very dependent on future prospects, which is why it swung so hard the other way. That it did so as a dozen major manufacturers are properly entering the market is a double whammy.

BRUSSELS, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Microsoft (MSFT.O) is likely to receive an EU antitrust warning about its $69 billion bid for “Call of Duty” maker Activision Blizzard (ATVI.O), people familiar with the matter said, that could pose another challenge to completing the deal.

The European Commission is readying a charge sheet known as a statement of objections setting out its concerns about the deal which will be sent to Microsoft in the coming weeks, the people said.

The EU antitrust watchdog, which has set an April 11 deadline for its decision on the deal, declined to comment.

The news outlet’s sources said the European Commission is preparing a statement of objections around the deal that it will send to Microsoft in a matter of weeks.

It has previously set an April 11 deadline to make a decision on whether the acquisition can go through.

The Commission declined to comment to Reuters, while a Microsoft representive said, “We’re continuing to work with the European Commission to address any marketplace concerns. Our goal is to bring more games to more people, and this deal will further that goal.”

the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC), recently filed its lawsuit to block the $69 billion deal in December, citing Microsoft’s decision to make upcoming games like Starfield and Redfall exclusive to Xbox and PC as a reason that the firm is not trustworthy (other regulators claimed the FTC was inaccurate as Microsoft never committed to keeping these ZeniMax games multiplatform).

The current FTC leadership does not seem real well informed.

I wonder if it will help Microsoft’s case that the PS5 is starting to run away from Xbox in terms of sales now that their shortages are over.

It might, but it seems like the FTC leadership doesn’t care a whole lot about the actual facts in the case, or the state of the industry. They seem more intent on just harming Microsoft as a corporate entity.

I’m so angry about this. As you pointed out earlier, Apple and Microsoft (and Tesla) are the big producers in the US. They actually make things that the world wants, things we export, and they’re good at it. Why is our own government trying to harm Microsoft when its clear to anyone with a brain that they do not have anything close to a monopoly in the gaming space?

This is going into P&R territory, but it seems like the one thing that the far right and the far left can agree about, is that damaging the primary engine of American industry in the 21st century is a good plan.

What’s good for Microsoft is good for America?

Basically, yes. This is what this country does now. We make the tech that runs the world. Our good paying jobs, middle class lifestyle jobs, are tech jobs.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “what’s good for MS is good for America”, but I would say that it does not benefit America to destroy our own tech industry without rational reasons for the actions.