Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

I don’t buy (a) at all. The competitors to xcloud are going to have to be big enough to build their own infra anyway, and cloud infra is actually pretty fungible. If infra was the killer prerequisite here Stadia wouldbe conquering the world.

Leveraging content in an anti-competitive way to draw people into your ecosystem - indeed. But how is that different from the way the console industry has worked since forever?

I’m not opposed to a regulator saying “spin out CoD / covenant to provide 10 years of equal terms access on PS”. I just don’t see why the FTC is beign so aggressive.

Distributed infra is a mandatory prerequisite to providing a streaming service, particularly where responsiveness matters like gaming. It’s one of several, and coming up with a business model the market embraces is definitely another.

This is very different from an exclusivity agreement with a third-party studio in that Microsoft would own Actilizzard and thus have it in perpetuity.

Honestly, I don’t see Microsoft’s Azure infrastructure as being anti-competitive, given that it’s not dominant. That is, while having access to that infrastructure is required, Azure is far from the only game in town. There are other options for doing large scale cloud deployment that a competitor streaming service could leverage.

Edit: more on behavioural remedies:

A question that I have regarding this type of thing is… what if a corporation tells one of these individual regulatory groups to fuck off?

I mean, would the result be that Microsoft would be prohibited from doing business in the UK? What would that look like?

The only thing like that I can really recall would be when Google pulled out of China rather than acquiesce to their demands.

Well, ignoring for now that the MS/ABK merger agreement is conditional on CMA approval, probably something like this:

https://www.ashurst.com/en/news-and-insights/legal-updates/competition-law-newsletter-march-2022/cn06---cma-imposes-record-fines-for-breaches-of-initial-enforcement-order-in-merger-cases/

The CMA can order the unwinding of a business integration (as it did with Giphy), but ultimately in international cases like this the main sticks are fines and political pressure.

Re CoD:

Great, now I have to extend my conspiracy theory that the FTC are a bunch of Sony fanboys who irrationally hate Microsoft and America as a whole, to also include the UK CMA.

So, this is the Call of Duty lawsuit then?

Certainly the UK government hasn’t made any profoundly terrible decisions lately.

Call of Duty is on every single line of that CMA letter.

This entire argument is not around a company, but one IP.

MS will probably offer to spin out Treyarch with the CoD IP as an independent company next, is my guess, if they can cut a third off their offer price without paying the penalty.

But CoD is developed by Treyarch, Infinite Ward and Sledgehammer. Three studios that rotate with each iteration. And Raven Studios helps each of them with wherever they need help (which is a waste of talent at Raven, IMHO).

I wonder how much of a win that would be. It feels like this entire purchase from MS is to get CoD on gamepass, or the very least gain a competent studio infrastructure to make their own Microsoft owned IP games.

I guess, splitting COD off Activision, and then getting some game-pass exclusivity deals into place would help to accomplish that goal, with the benefit of gaining the rest of Acti-blizz’s significant holdings, like Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Hearthstone etc.

Because Activison doesn’t really have any IP outside of COD that isn’t licensed.

Could this deal end with Microsoft just buying Call of Duty? That would be a significantly less large purchase, and would still manage to piss Sony off. Would that even be allowed? Because it really feels like the entire argument is over Call of Duty.

Honestly, MS could just pay whoever owns CoD to put it on gamepass. That’s how most things get on gamepass.

Sure, but why buy the milk when you can buy the cow?

Why would ABK shareholders accept that? That’s less than the shares are currently trading at and not much more than they were trading at before the offer.

Edit, actually, it’s slightly less than where they were trading.

Wasn’t it always?

It would be nice if the regulators looked at all exclusives with the same lens as was quoted above. Frustrating to see Microsoft singled out.