Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

@jpinard, MSFS doesn’t use SteamVR. It’s native WMR.
(I’m guessing if you change the OpenXR runtime to use SteamVR’s OpenXR, you could possibly force it to use Steam instead, but normally it’s native WMR/OpenXR with zero involvement from SteamVR.)

If you’re having frame rate issues, it sounds like the next driver release will fix that, but in the meantime, I suggest downgrading to 457.30. I did so based on the Flightsimulator.com forum discussion and it’s definitely smoother.

Installed the cool Locher scenery from Flightsim.to and realized Northern Italians are insane in the winter. Her legs have to be freezing. And that poor pup.

Really nice new Waco from Carenado in the MSFS Marketplace, only $14.95 and I had about $25 in MS points credit from Bing searches and Xbox stuff! Flies great, and the engine sounds is among the best I’ve heard in the sim.

If you use an Oculus headset, even on the MS Store version it defaults to SteamVR’s OXR and you have to manually change the registry to point to the Oculus OXR runtime to use a Rift/Link. For Quest via Virtual Desktop, you have to use the SteamVR version, regardless of where you bought the game.

Did a flight from Ranger Creek (21W) to Swanson (2W3) this morning in the YMF5, with real-world time/weather.

MSFS does a really nice job of naturally transitioning from snowy areas to green; I was really impressed with the gradual shift as I flew past Mt. Baker. Really looked like a real-world variation, with the snow gradually covering less of the ground.

Rather than using something like NeoFly, I’ve just been downloading small airports (being careful to check the reviews) from Flightsim.to and setting up flights between those. Washington State and Alaska are really well-covered in the US for detailed third-party small airports. (The Alps in Austria/Switzerland/Italy have a similarly rich selection of small detailed airports.) Flightsim.to is a really well-designed site, and once you find authors who do great airports, you can follow them to get notified of new releases and updates.

Really nice shots! And that’s a great way to engage with the world, through all those custom airports.

Great idea, need to put it on the list.

I LOVE the signs and the picnic bench. It looks like you’re visiting a state park. So cool!

You probably found these, but just in case not, the person who did 2W3 has a whole bunch of others and they are pretty much all done to a really good standard.

I’m also a big fan of CptMoustache, who has a nice collection of BC strips.

I think I have a scenery habit.

Yep, thanks, following both of those guys!

And FreakyD also has done a lot of Washington/Oregon updates that are pretty well done.

@kaosfere, is that your download folder, or installed add-ons? if the latter, how long does it take your MSFS to start up? :) Given that there are still some quirks to some add-ons, as well as some junk that’s just ripped Google Earth imagery, I’ve been pretty particular about what I actually install.

When I downloaded a Grand Rapids update, while it looked better than default, it broke all the downtown traffic because I think he got the data from Google Maps? Is that happening with all the places you guys are downloading too?

Is there a way I can edit his mod to make traffic work again?

That’s the folder in which I install all the add-ons I download, so basically the latest version of everything that I’ve downloaded and decided to keep. I don’t have them all active at once, though; I use Addons Linker to enable only what I’m going to need any time I start it up. That tool makes it really easy.

I did, just for grits and shins, try to start the game with everything enabled a while back.

I gave up on it after 20 minutes without progress.

Early Sunday morning flying over the bayou:

And coming in to land in Baton Rouge:

I need to apply that tree distance fix you guys mentioned upthread. This new King Air will be paid off within the week. Not sure what to shoot for next.

I can’t find it. What’s that about?

It extends the LOD for trees drawn.

Here’s one of them:

Ah, I only have 60GB downloaded, so I bow to your enthusiasm!

Are you using this Addons Linker? I should check it out; right now I just have everything active.

FWIW, I played with the included fixes and found Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(50-75)-SmallerTrees to give the best visuals. Going longer in the draw distance can make hillside edges look furry. :)

Ahaha

"Ever built a plane in Minecraft and wished you could fly it? Now you can! The FlyByVoxel MC-16 is a light, twin-engined piston aircraft with a very aerodynamic design for maximum fuel efficency. The aircraft is equipped with a modern glass cockpit powered by redstone and command blocks. "

Preflight checklist:

1. Turn stone lever to up position.
    Checklist complete.

That looks so surreal.

How does the flight model work for mods like that? Does it impersonate another plane?

Ahahaha omg my boy is going to go bonkers over this!