Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Full worlds man. Venus ho!

Well the climb rate in the Bonanza would be better (less gravity) but weā€™re gonna need something that helps with the acid rain and a better pressurized environment in cabin.

I think Iā€™m going to fire up Flight Simulator on my phone just because I can.

Austin doesnā€™t believe in it. I canā€™t remember exactly what he said but it was along the lines of it would lead to too much algorithmically-generated terrain and wouldnā€™t work. Obviously MSFS has proved him wrong, but Laminar Research can hardly compete with the resources Asobo have at their disposal. Ultimately, I canā€™t imagine scenery like MSFS ever appearing in a base version of XPlane.

I mean, I totally understand both approaches here. On the flip side, MSFS is light on the hardcore sim aspect in a lot of places. But with time, 3rd party vendors have always filled in the gap for any sim with a lot of players.

I have no issue if thatā€™s what they pursue, Iā€™ll still try it once released and Iā€™m sure there will still be a lot I like. But Iā€™ll also totally enjoy MSFS for everything there that I like, also. Probably more so, to be honest.

I played it a bit on my 12.9-inch iPad earlier and it was pretty impressive, except the game streaming was being really laggy and hitching a lot today. (Halo Infinite had issues as well, despite me having gigabit cable and a low ping.) Still, pretty awesome to play it on my iPad.

That said, though, itā€™s the Xbox version, and (1) MSFS sucks with an Xbox controller, and (2) it not only doesnā€™t let you use your downloaded scenery, it doesnā€™t even recognize Marketplace purchases ā€“ none of my add-on planes that show on the real Xbox version were available in the streaming version.

Thatā€™s far more the reason than Austin not believing in it. Heā€™d have to license the data from somewhere, and even though Austinā€™s personally loaded, Laminar doesnā€™t have that kind of funding available.

They havenā€™t really implemented them, other than snow. The Bijan seasons add-on does a great job adding fall/winter/spring foiliage, but you have to manually change the seasons. (Easy on PC, kind of a pain on Xbox since you have to buy individual scenes from the Marketplace.

BTW, the Beechcraft Staggerwing is only $14.95 (or free if you take advantage of Bing Rewards like I doā€¦) and is well worth it. Beautiful model, fun to fly. Actually made by Caranado so MS is subsidizing it as part of their classics series.

The Bijan payware mod is really nice. The REX versionā€™s really hacky and I wouldnā€™t recommend that one.

Forget bitcoin mining as a threat to the environment, how about the energy consumed updating MSFS when itā€™s several months out of date?

That aside, has anyone tried out the OpenXR Toolkit for VR? Curious about the upscaling and fixed foveated rendering in particular.

Hey, guess who passes his private pilot check ride!! And it all started with this thread!!

Congratulations @IkeVandergraaf!!!

Hell yeah!! Congrats @IkeVandergraaf !!!

Awesome, @IkeVandergraaf! Congratulations!

Now you can critique flight models and systems with authority.

Congratulations @IkeVandergraaf ! What a cool accomplishment!

Thatā€™s an incredible story, @IkeVandergraaf. Delighted for you, congrats on such a major accomplishment!

Thanks everybody! It was a ton of work but felt great!

I think you mentioned before youā€™d like to continue on from here but I guess, any idea what you want to do from here? IFR? Multi? Join a plane share group? Buzz the tower at over 400 knots?

Congrats IkeVandergraaf!

I used to own shorts like that. The first thing that happened after I got married is my wife said ā€œyouā€™re never wearing these againā€.

My comeback to things like that is, ā€œfine, no more capri pants for you then.ā€

Since those cancel out, she lets me wear whatever shorts I want.

Yeah I got to get some new shorts.

Iā€™m meeting with a guy from a flying club in deer valley (KDVT) this afternoon. Probably going to join that. Iā€™m also probably going to get my instrument rating. I think itā€™s just safer. Probably do that with the same flight school where I finished out my PPL.

Congrats on the PPL! I took a few lessons at the end of the 90ies (in a Piper PA28 Arrow) and studied for the theoretical, but never went through with it. Iā€™m envious.

I would also have gone on to IFR (a safe choice if you ever find yourself challenged by non VFR conditions).

I hope the meeting at the club goes well and we can get some real pictures (as opposed to screenshots) from the sky in the future.