Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

My brain went somewhere WAY more interesting than reality until I remembered the 172’s name.

Can’t wait until we get some fast jets in this sim.

Seems like that’ll strain the terrain streaming a bit :)

New developer update.
tl:dr; Incoming patch within the next 10 days.

Patch Highlights:

• Performance improvements
  • ATC updates
  • UI updates
  • Aerodynamic updates
  • Aircraft updates
  • Cockpit visuals and animation updates
  • General aviation system updates
  • General aviation avionic updated
  • Airliner system updates
  • Airliner avionic updates
  • Live Weather updates – (e.g. 225/3kt wind fixed, persistency fixed, etc.)
  • Upgraded multiplayer servers
  • Marketplace updates
  • Content Manager updates
  • Localization updates
  • Accessibility updates
  • Camera updates
  • Bush Trip updates (e.g. completion trigger fixed/Completionist achievement fixed)
  • World updates

Also Marketplace is updated with a bunch of new airports and one new plane.

Thanks for the heads-up on the patch. Lots of good fixes coming (I hope!).

@Skipper @Matt_W I’ve joined the QtE group! Also, I saw a 172 for sale for $85,000, and I bought it. I know it won’t make me huge bucks, but for me it’s fun to know I can fly my plane whenever I want. I flew my plane from Snyder Field in Kentucky into Cincinnati and then on to Wilmington, Ohio. I think I’ll head to Pittsburgh and maybe the east coast.

Incidentally, the air traffic around Cincinnati was surprisingly busy, and I love it like that. For the first time in this sim, ATC ordered me to enter the traffic pattern – and didn’t immediately clear me to land. I flew crosswind and downwind before I got clearance to land, and I had to be quick about it because another plane was behind me. I loved that.

On the other hand, I couldn’t find GA parking – I keep taxiway ribbon turned off – and after I stopped at the gates and finished my FSE mission, I wanted to taxi back out for another flight. But I couldn’t get ground to respond, and I also couldn’t tune the tower. I hate the tiny little radio dials. I actually have a USB radio panel that I may reinstall for this purpose. Maybe I should’ve turned off my engine and restarted? Anyway, I eventually just gave up and took off without clearance – and was promptly scolded, which was great (albeit embarrassing).

I’m awful tempted to try OnAir. It sounds like fun. It’s just a tad pricy. I know the 12-month subscription is reasonable, $3/ month or so, but still, if you plan to play for more than a year, that’s the cost of a AAA game. I’m procrastinating on the decision by flying in FSE for now. :)

I have also purchased a Cessna, probably for more than I should, but oh well. Sweet, we have a fleet.

Jeez, dude, you ought to collect these in an imgur album or something.

No kidding. And I need to start emulating you. There’s so much beauty in this sim.

Thanks. The visuals are what keep me coming back. I keep thinking I’ve seen everything, but then there’s something new. I flew across the North Sea earlier today and there was a 100 kt crosswind. My plane was flying with its nose about 30° off course.

That sunrise photo through the clouds is the Columbia River running past Richland, WA, which is where my sister lives.

I didn’t know you’d both gotten planes yesterday. There’s 30K in the group account, may as well save for another rental somewhere. Or a bigger hauler.

For now I’m still flying out of KILM (Wilminton, NC) though now that I have my own plane I’ve thought about wandering around to see what’s out there. I kind of want to check out the Caribbean.

I also wanted to dip my toes into more of what FSE offers so I rented gates at two grass fields and set up passengers back to KILM. This expands that hub but also brings money to the owner of the FBO for those fields. You can make these public or private. These are public for now, I guess that helps since I didn’t rent them with the group. All of this would make more sense (and money) in an area that had more gate rentals available so you could make your own hub and spokes.

These aren’t listed under our group because I’m a goober and didn’t figure out how to do that. If you want to do that, set the “rental,” up to be paid out of the group.

Here are the two fields:

An example of passengers to the hub:

And here’s an example of the return passengers from KILM:

We’re no longer in the little leagues, boys. We have passengers.

Is there a way to find terminals with gates available to rent?

Have you done the tour of Hanford? If not, the next time you visit her you should!

There is. I skipped over the full FBO since it looks to take quite a bit to get one going and they are quite costly (and hard to find.)

To find rentable gates:

Their map link is pretty crappy. You can zoom in though and look around. You’ll see what I mean by … sparse.

Also, here’s the actual rules about them:
https://sites.google.com/site/fseoperationsguide/fbos/passenger-terminals

Note that they take quite a while for passengers to start showing up. Like hours to a day.

And one final edit. If you rent gates, they show up under FBO, then Facilities. From that sub-menu you can go and re-edit things or cancel your rental.

I haven’t, which is odd since my ex is also from Richland, I’m from Spokane, and I’ve been visiting that area for my whole life. I’ll have to do that one of these days.

Thanks! I’ll find something to rent. I’ve already paid off another $30k on my loan.

I’ve been using the TBM to make quick money. There are VIP corporate charters and medical trips scattered around that go for 800+ nm, have 5-6 passengers, and pay out $10k-15k. Flight time is typically under 3 hours once I’m up at cruising altitude, and with time compression, I can do take-off, cruise, landing in 30-40 minutes and only have to attend the aircraft for the first and last 5 minutes of that.

Hooray, another person who doesn’t think that Washington is entirely temperate rainforest.

Lol. When I travel internationally it’s always like “…no the state.” Here in the U.S. it’s like “… no it doesn’t rain on… oh whatever, yeah it does get depressing.”

Be wary of the 30/48 rule. I hit it this week. Now that I understand it, I’ll be sure and set faster cruise speed on my flights. What I had been doing is longer flights (because more money, duh!) and turning down my cruise speed to be miserly on fuel. That can literally double some of the trip times in game. Now? None of that crap, full speed the entire trip. The TBM is actually awesome for this as it’s SUPER fast. You can literally get more distance/flights in within a 48 hour rolling window.

“FSE pilots are restricted to the “30/48” rule. That is, every pilot is limited to no more than 30 hours of simulated flight time (not real time) in a 48 hour real-time window.”

https://sites.google.com/site/fseoperationsguide/expansion/30-48-rule

I actually didn’t know this, but I don’t think I’m in danger of hitting it. I’m cruising at something like 330 kts TAS with the TBM. And it does take some time to set up the flights and land them and my kids don’t let me just use up the computer for autopilot flying for hours a day :)

You can see your total on the server site in the top right corner and a breakdown of when hours get re-added to your running total. I mean, I was simming really hard earlier this week trying to get my plane so it makes sense.