Microsoft Security Essentials released

No problems with steam and 64-bit win7 + mse here either.

Not a problem for me, either (Win 7 Bus 64bit + steam + MSE)

No, I get this problem also, and Microsoft asks me to send information about steam.exe back to Microsoft. win 7 64 bit + steam.

Happened to me this evening as well. It’s not clear what MSE is doing either - I’m assuming nothing since Steam is still working.

I just launched Steam and noticed a new update was available, so I downloaded it and MSE didn’t make a peep during the install/restart. Good luck getting to the bottom of it, all.

Really weird. Running MSE here on two PCs with Win 7 x64, both took the latest Steam update with no warnings/issues from MSE.

Very curious indeed, I never had an issue with MSE and the Steam updater either on Vista 64.

Will I need to continue using Spybot and Malwarebytes if I install MSE?

MSE covers all malware - viruses, spyware, etc.

Neat. I’m going to miss AVG, Spybot, etc.

Thanks!

I’m still running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with MSE.

So for a few months now, pretty much since I installed Windows 7, I have been having this horrible problem with my CPUs getting maxed out whenever I opened Firefox, downloaded something, etc. I thought it was any number of things including sound drivers (as it would kill the sound on my system when I tried to watch something on Youtube, for example.)

I finally figured out the problem, it was AVG. It’s amazing how some of these virus programs can be worse than the viruses themselves. I’ve been using AVG for a long time and never had any problems until the new version, which happened to also be around the same time I installed 7, so I never really suspected it.

Anyhow, I have switched to MSE since then and my computer is much happier. Bumping as a recommendation to anyone else looking for good, non bloated virus scanning.

Aaaannnnd I have concerns about it, as it allowed a virus to contaminate my system and did not detect the virus until I ran malewarebytes. It did remove the virus from my system once it found it which I verified by using a deep scan with it as well as with malwarebytes, but I am disappointed that it did not detect the virus even after its weekly scan.

I just schedule a daily deep scan at 3am. Why not?

The virus has been with me for over 2 weeks, meaning that the weekly deep scan missed it. But yes, I will probably make the deep scans daily.

AV Comparatives showed something like 86% for MCE and 94% for the usual high scorers (Bitdefender/Nod/Avast/etc).

Scanners are still signatured based right? We don’t have an AI in there. Stuff needs to mess up some dude’s computer, or one of the honeytraps before the antivirus people can take a look.

Download Vmplayer, and a browser appliance. Much safer. There are exploits to punch through the VM and into your windows host, but that’s much less likely imho.

Ok, user error here. I was only doing a Quick Scan once a week. Sorry to be alarmist.

No, it’s not user error. If you had an active virus infection on your system, that means the virus files were in use. If the virus files were in use, a good active AV should’ve known something was up.

You shouldn’t need deep scans because any active infection will be throwing up warning signs in the presence of a good AV product. The AV product isn’t going to help removing it once you’re pwned, but the canary in the coalmine doesn’t handle the evac either.

Good tips all, I got Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and it kept nagging me about not having Anti-Virus. I of course don’t believe in paying for Anti-Virus (Norton is overpriced and bloated), so picking this up was great.

Did a full scan in something like an hour and a half or so (not sure I went to sleep but it did about 50% in 45 mins) and we’re talking about 300GB here. It only found one infected file as part of a no-cd patch I didn’t even have installed (just had it sitting in my downloads folder) which I promptly removed.

Will definitely put this on my laptop as well and the rest of my PCs once I upgrade them to win7.

Norton definitely earned that reputation, but it’s not bloated these days. McAfee is still the biggest offender in that regard. I wouldn’t use either over some of the free options that are available, but wanted to point out that Symantec finally got its shit together and isn’t nearly as awful as it has been.