Minecraft Dungeons - The Minecraft ARPG

I was hoping for more of a 3rd person minecraft with an emphasis on RPGing dungeons. Pretty sure there are mods for this anyway though. A MC Diablo clone isn’t for me but I hope it does well and they do some interesting things with it in the future.

Anyone know if saves will transfer between XB1 and Windows?

Works well with a controller.

So far okay. A little disappointed that the map objects aren’t as destructible as I thought they might be.

The feet of a Creeper twitching after you pepper it with arrows is my favourite death animation so far.

It pays to open the map and explore the out of the way corners. There are usually coins and chests to pick up there.

I’m really enjoying it so far. It’s a very nice ARPG. I was concerned it would be clunky or unresponsive. But it plays very nicely.

Having added thorns to my armour and fire to my AOE axe, it’s not a good time for mobs that get close to me. :)

Plenty of progression to look forward to as well.

Oh, something worth knowing: don’t worry about spending enchantment points on an item you might not keep. When you salvage it, you get the points back. At least so far I do.

Went back to the Creeper woods while having a power level of 8. I set the difficulty to drop power level loot from levels 6-13…so figured why not run it again and see if I can get some gear a bit better. Only playing new levels with the kid so this was just to get new gear.

Found a dungeon in the woods that I missed earlier and got some new loot, a great unique sword, and leveled up so got some new enhancements…got a new item, forgot the name, that collects souls as you kill enemies and then you can release them at once and they kill enemies around you…good for melee builds.

It’s a nice little fun game.

Finding it very difficult to find anything about this even remotely remarkable. A trivial milk spill in a genre already oft maligned for its shallowness.

Not to say it isn’t polished, and it certainly has buckets of that classic Minecraft charm. A good choice for the kids I guess. Though, uh, I played Wolf3D and Doom at ages 9 & 10 respectively, so I’d be a bit more liberal with ‘violent content’ and recommend either Torchlight to play with them instead.

Sincerely doubt this would get much attention at all without the brand, and even that feels like a missed opportunity. It definitely has a penchant for sending you down dead ends, would’ve been nice to mine your way back at the end of them instead of having to schlep all the way back through now-empty corridors.

Yeah, that one review said skills weren’t interesting, but the enchantment system is the more meaty stuff.

Incidentally, from a video I was watching, if you find the trick bow, try adding a fire quiver if you see it.

It may not be super deep, but that’s not the point.

I played up through the Redstone Mines and it’s Minecraft with no mining, which is weird if you stop to think about it… at all. It was ok though. There is definitely an audience for this and it may not be among “gamers” as we know them.

The lack of mining/crafting seems like a totally missed opportunity here. It’s in the name!

Ooh. I just found one. I’ll keep it for that purpose.

I also enjoy finding the odd secret that involves you rolling across a chasm to find a special chest (the full screen map tells you how many secrets are to be found). Haven’t found anything super awesome in those yet though.

The kid and I like it because it’s minecraft…a lot of the same mobs, blocky architecture, etc. It’s an ARPG, not a mining sim. I like ARPG"s but most of them are unremarkable…no history, lore, etc. Just playing one with minecraft visual is cool. My kid is 14 and we’ve both liked D3, T2, and other ARPG’s and this is just yet another one. Yes, if it was made from some unknown game franchise then we most likely wouldn’t even know about it, let alone play it, but it’s not.

For us, another decent ARPG is cool…something relating to a game we like, more cool. Just keep it an ARPG and leave the other stuff out…is perfect with us.

Anyone have impressions on Switch performance? A little concerned since folks are reporting hitches on X Box One.

Diego

I see the same hitches once in a while on the One X. I don’t think they have anything to do with in game performance and more with network hitches where the game is trying to ping the server.

Yea…there is the occasional glitch or lag on the Switch…my kid and I played online together for a few hours and every once in awhile it lags…but not often and not enough to not recommend it. Good switch game.

Reddit seems to indicate the frame rate is terrible on Switch, with lots of stutters and choppiness. I’m assuming they’ll fix it at some point as the game can’t be that intense w/ the Minecraft graphics, right? I’d prefer to get it there, for the handheld and co-op playing but it’s definitely concerning me.

I was watching Wanderbot use it (he didn’t like it because the arrows are slow And he kept running forward instead of standing back). I don’t know which parts were inherent to the bow and which were enchants, but it made a variable number of piercing arrows. They didn’t do much damage, but when the hits starting exploding in fire, it got silly.

That’s my experience as well. Frame rate is definitely less than stellar with occasionally noticeable hitches. I don’t exactly regret getting it on the Switch, as the ability to go portable is wonderful, but I do hope that they patch in some performance improvement soon.

It’s not horrible, but it’s also a long way away from a consistent 30 FPS. Good thing my family is very tolerant of this kind of thing. On the plus side, load times are fine, even playing off an SD card.

Ok, bought it on Switch. Played the intro level real quick then left. Came back, loaded the camp, then I loaded the Creeper Woods, and…crash!

Was able to load the game up again, played through the Creeper Woods, then hit the exit and…crash!

Anyone crashing? Two crashes in about 30 minutes of gameplay so far. Awesome.

To anyone wondering, your characters do not seem to transfer between Xbox 1 and Windows :(

Nope. Played for about 1.5 hours with my kids this afternoon in couch co-op on the Switch. No crashes at all.

Yeah, I checked the Play Anywhere website a little earlier today, and this game is not listed. It’s a shame, I would have loved for this to be a Play Anywhere game.

On the other hand, @divedivedive, if we really enjoy it, it’s a potential double achievement game.