Minecraft Dungeons - The Minecraft ARPG

My son had 1 crash…switch. We’ve played locan and online around 3 hours today…1 crash. None for me.

I played it handheld, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I haven’t gone back in to see if it saved my progress through that first area yet. Maybe it auto-saves as you go along?

Played the tutorial and a couple of more levels. It’s fun.

If people don’t realize it, arrow shots can be charged. They do stupid damage when charged and make Evoker trivial, since you can easily outrange him.

Found two low-level uniques, both Fire-based. Setting enemies on fire with my axe, rolling to leave fire trails behind, and shooting arrows that leave poison clouds, while my bat and llama go to town. What’s not to like?

In retrospect, don’t think now type matters. The cool part was from multishot

Hmmm, looks like I was wrong @divedivedive. This is a new type of game altogether. It’s got united achievements, and yet, it’s not a Play Anywhere game. Bizarre. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered that before.

I don’t think I’ve got it in me to play a game twice just for a second set of achievements. I think it would get confusing.

Man the start of that video is really sad, people really aren’t willing to accept criticism on this one, huh.

I wouldn’t have bothered issuing a lengthy re-justification of my opinion beyond a simple rebuttal of the whole “yeah it’s simple, but it’s for kids!” bullshit. That being (in a single word coupled with the tantalising aroma of delicious irony)… Minecraft.

This is amazing. I’m surprised he actually did this.

I would just tell everyone to suck it if they didn’t like my opinion.

I played a bit more with my Switch docked and didn’t have any crashes, just some random stuttering and choppiness.

It seems decent enough as a very light Diablo/Torchlight clone - hoping my girls will like playing it together. I agree with the criticism on dead ends and wasted time. I’ve only played a few levels and have already found the maps are pretty annoying. There’s usually no payoff for long detours off the main quest path so not much incentive for exploration.

I’m beginning to see why I’m enjoying it and others are not. I have only played it docked so far, in 3 player coop with my two kids. We are not completionists or min/maxers so we are not looking to optimize our builds or find every last hidden item. Basically we make our way through the main path, killing as we go, constantly upgrading our items with the drops and enchantments that are superior. No one has picked a “build” to specialize in. We all do it all. Melee, ranged, aoe, etc. We’ve party wiped the required 3 times only once playing whatever the default difficulty is. And we’re loving it. My 7 year old son couldn’t fall asleep last night, he was so eager to get back to playing he just wanted to keep talking about it all night. Eventually I got him to fall asleep, only to be awoken 10 minutes before his usual “waking up daddy allowed” time because he couldn’t hold off any longer. If you’re able to play in this way, the game is a steal at the $20 USD price tag. I’ll definitely be picking up the DLC in time, too.

I personally like trying to use a roll to find hidden chests and I enjoy making detours behind buildings to find some too. But the rewards aren’t so great they are a must do. At least so far.

So it definitely makes sense to ignore them if they are a detriment.

Then again, in Diablo too, I often don’t like leaving a map until I have uncovered it all in case some shiny drop is waiting for me.

Yup. Opinions are just that. I didn’t think his opinion seemed particularly well-informed in certain respects, nor do I think he tried to find the fun in the game, but he’s still entitled to it. He basically hated the game because it wasn’t what he wanted, rather than reviewing what the game actually is (haven’t watched second video), which is a particular potter piece of mine.

One of his negatives on higher difficulty levels is that there are a lot more ranged enemies making it lot harder and requiring more health and healing stuff.

I’m fine with that…I will just build and adjust based on what the game is giving me, challenging me…that is what I like to do anyhow…and with this game, you can change and adjust your build a lot easier than other games of this type so I’m fine with that…a new challenge, bring it on.

That’s just best thing ever! I remember my boys being obsessed with “real” Minecraft and thinking and talking about it constantly. Heck, I remember being that way myself as a kid with my Atari 2600 in the late 70’s. Those memories will last a lifetime.

Well the cauldron boss was … not fun. It was easy to cheese at least though, just took me 20+ minutes running in circles shooting fireworks at him every 30 seconds (I did have the difficulty turned up though 2 levels higher than my level though).

My thoughts echo @Ephraim’s after 40 min with my 6yo. Run around co-op together smashing zombies and skeletons in Minecraft world. He loved it and I get to introduce him to the concept of arpgs. I am surprised there is anyone that really thought this was going to challenge POE or Diablo or Torchlight et al in terms of mechanics or difficulty/skill ceiling.

Runs a bit crappy on Switch, hopefully a patch or two smooths it out.

I wonder why they didn’t add in crossplay… this is the perfect crossplay game… just like Minecraft (and terraria).

A follow up (of sorts) to a masterpiece in design execution that so elegantly papered over any generational gaps you’d question they were ever there in the first place. Made by a studio with the kind of resources at its disposal that the dreams of kings would seem banal in comparison.

I mean, look at this;

Look at how expressive everything is. It’s still blocky ol’ Minecraft but the eyebrows and other facial features add a whole new dimension to it and it looks awesome! The opening intro even has the same detail, noticeable when one of the characters turns with a wry smile to the camera at the end.

Immediately following that you’re dumped into a really lame ‘pick one of 20 presets with 5 more being paid DLC’ character customisation that doesn’t even hold a candle to what you can do in Minecraft. We’re also back to back to the boring low-detail and expressionless blockfaces we’ve all seen before, all trace of emotion wiped from them as rapidly as was from my own visage upon witnessing this hackneyed implementation.

Sure, it’s not a big deal in and of itself but it’s just emblematic of everything in this game; a minimal effort affair that never musters the courage to do anything genuinely new, unique or interesting despite whatever initial pretensions to be otherwise.

I honestly went into this knowing next to nothing about it, so much so that I was even surprised that it wasn’t in first-person after I’d booted it up. So if this was marketed as being only of interest to six year olds that’d never played an ARPG before, then in all honesty I missed that and yeah, the joke’s on me. At least it was free (but not free).

None of the above should detract from the fact that some of you are enjoying it with your kids. Just imagine how much their little minds are gonna get blown when they get their hands on a half-way decent example of the genre. Ah, to be young again!

Crossplay is sort of in right now between xbox and pc and is coming officially ‘soon’