Minecraft! (single player dwarf fortress)

youtube of some combat in survival minecraft, it’s about making do with limited resources.

Well I dropped the 12 bucks for the alpha version of the game and it was money well spent. Awesome little game here.

What the crap, he has a lava generator? That doesn’t seem quite kosher!

I made my first cave with workbench, furnace, and a chest, and started to dig upwards to make a garden since all the exploration has cost me some health (spiders and skeletons, but mostly cliffs). Well, wouldn’t you know but I break the surface only to find out there’s a cave directly behind me that looks created (rock that’s been placed looks different from native rock) that a zombie and 2 skeletons run out of.

I quickly blocked them in with the handy supply of rock that I had on me from having dug up there in the first place and … that’s where I am. I’m making a VERY high-walled garden so nothing invades it and waiting on some grub to grow, and then … I’ll have to see about fighting something. I found enough iron to make a mail shirt, but the rest of my armor is cloth. I have a stone sword and that’s about it. Gonna be a tough task. :)

That’s my feeling exactly. I saw a few videos where the guy was repelling some random creature spawns but I’d love to see some traps and larger scale attacks thrown in. Maybe it’s coming in future updates.

Bought it, looks like an awesome little game.

I’m thinking of making a guide for this, my only major stumbling block being every time I switch away from the game to take a screenshot, it pauses. I’m using a mac, and I only want a screengrab of the app window. Any suggestions?

Try this.

To capture the entire desktop, press Command-Shift-3. The screen shot will be automatically saved as a PNG file on your desktop.

To copy the entire desktop, press Command-Control-Shift-3. The screen shot will be placed on your clipboard for you to paste into another program.

To capture a portion of the desktop, press Command-Shift-4. A cross-hair cursor will appear and you can click and drag to select the area you wish to capture. When you release the mouse button, the screen shot will be automatically saved as a PNG file on your desktop. (The file is saved as PDF in Mac OS 10.3 and earlier.)

To capture a specific application window, press Command-Shift-4, then press the Spacebar. The cursor will change to a camera, and you can move it around the screen. As you move the cursor over an application window, the window will be highlighted. The entire window does not need to be visible for you to capture it. When you have the cursor over a window you want to capture, just click the mouse button and the screen shot will be saved as a PNG file on your desktop. (The file is saved as PDF in Mac OS 10.3 and earlier.)

After just a few minutes playing the web version, I purchased the game. This guy deserves the support.

I really love the graphical style, and he nailed the world generation. Exploring is great fun.

Once there is multiplayer survival mode, someone should start up a Qt3 server.

I’m wondering if there’d be enough interest a succession game. Maybe a choice of either 2 or 3 nights (you can get a lot done in a day) or up until first death?

Looks like on OSX, the “saves” are in ~Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves/WorldX - each X is a slot you picked. I’m guessing the entire folder would need to be zipped and uploaded somewhere.

I like the SA format. You get 2 IRL days to do what you want to do, do as much or as little as you want just send the save back within the 2 days, keep some sort of journal (text/picture/video) of what you have done or record a video at the end of the turn to show what’s going on.

Right, session one screens in the bag. I’ll write them up, and post a link maybe tomorrow evening. Part One: A House, A Light, And A Steak.

Nice! Make a new thread for tracking it :D I’m still a noob but I’ll definitely take a turn!

Yeah make a new thread. We should also make a list of people, I’ll take a turn as well.

Succession game:

Delta
Marcin
Staff Sergeant
Skorin
Eduardo X
rowe33
Hrnac
KiloOhm

I’m definitely in.

I can’t commit to a turn but holy Jesus this game is nuts. I finally figured out how to make glass too.

Make your roof out of glass, so that pigs and sheep don’t spawn in your garden. Pigs especially seem to love trampling all my wheat. It’s probably revenge for me turning all their friends into pork chops.

Is it because it’s enclosed that they won’t spawn? I actually had a sheep spawn in my dungeon room - door closed and a torch inside - so I’m not quite sure how to prevent them doing so.

Pork chops. How do I make those? I tried various implements on the farm animals but they just go poof instead of turning into cutlets.

Edit: ah, according to the wiki pigs may drop 0-2 pork. Pah.

I’ll happily do a succession game.

Pigs and sheep currently spawn anywhere, so there’s no fool-proof way of stopping them from spawning somewhere annoying. Say, in your garden, trampling your crops. :( This may be a bug.

Pork chops. How do I make those? I tried various implements on the farm animals but they just go poof instead of turning into cutlets.
Pigs have a chance to drop them on death. There’s no trick to getting them that I’m aware of. You can just punch them to death or throw them off a cliff if you want. When you get some, make sure to cook them to make them heal twice as much health!

No it’s not from being enclosed, they don’t spawn under glass as far as I know. I’ve yet to find any pigs or sheep in my glass farms. Pigs and sheep will spawn anywhere else there’s enough light, even underground.