Minecraft: The Movie - Live action, directed by Always Sunny in Philly's Mac

https://mojang.com/2015/07/weve-chosen-a-director-for-the-minecraft-movie/

Some of you may have seen this guy hanging around MINECON in London a couple weeks ago. He’s Rob McElhenney, and he’s going to be directing the upcoming Minecraft movie.

Not a joke.

McElhenney is excited about the game’s potential as a movie, having recently attended Minecon in London as a sign of his commitment.

Roy Lee (“The Lego Movie”) will produce the “Minecraft” movie under his Vertigo Entertainment banner along with Jill Messick. Warner Bros. executive Jon Berg will oversee the live-action project for the studio.

We have the success of the Lego movie to thank for this. Thanks Chris Lord and Phil Miller.

-Tom

Am I understanding my Variety-speak here? This is a live action movie?

i don’t get it. Minecraft isn’t Minecraft if it isn’t blocky pixels.

Add me to the confused club.

I guess the problem is a blocky Minecraft movie is already done - essentially Yogscast had that sorted years ago.

Variety just posted a leaked photo from the set:

Apparently, Clooney is on board:

If it were up to me I’d do it HR Pufnstuf/Sid and Marty Kroft style. Live action but it looks like the filmmakers were on acid when they made it. Those shows always creeped me out when I was a kid, a modern take on that style could work. Minecraft is perfect for this, since no one expects or wants that to look realistic anyways.

Nevermind.