Mirage: Arcane Warfare - Chivalry with wizards

Made by Torn Banner Studios, the folks that brought us Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Ohhh, I never played Chivalry (is it worth visiting? I seem to own it somehow…) but with Wizards? Sign me up!

Looks potentially interesting, especially if it’s not going to follow the same class based formula that other FP mobas are doing. Not a fan of the art style though.

I was just thinking the art style was lifted from Overwatch. Looks interesting though.

It seems it’s going to have a bit of the Hero Shooter influence, with Q/E/F abilities. Really bold art style too, love it.

Like Chivalry, but with wizards - there’s a fighter wizard, a thief wizard, a cleric wizard, etc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another video, where TB looks into the classes

My favorite sorcer was in Vanguard Saga of Heroes. You get to levitate, or permanently breath underwater. Levitate in particular was cool, because it allowed to look everyone down. Like the mindless warriors they are, they don’t know the real fabric of the universe that is under our fingers. Mages study the universe, but sorcers get to put his hands inside the mechanism and touch reality itself.
I think things like knights, soldiers, warriors and soccer players are boring because can’t summon a asteroid of fire to engulf a town in flames.

This said, this game don’t looks sorcer-y. The sorcers in this game did not look powerful enough, I guest is a balance thing to have the peasants that walk and poke stuff with a piece of metal to have some sort of a viability. I am going to boicott this game for presenting sorcers and meatbags in a equal level.
Sorcers are superior beings, and this don’t seems well represented in the game.

I like the graphics, but I would have made the game differently. Maybe give the meatbags some meatbags tools, like a grapple to climb buildings, or attack dogs, maybe the ability to call a hank to detect sorcers.

The sorcers in this game I can’t hardly call sorcers. I have not seen they summon multiple fireballs, or a superior demon even once.

Maybe they have a idea where they don’t want combat to go too much into fantasy directory, but to me, the combat I see in the video don’t even fill the screen.

Theres a lot of things they can do, like have sorcers summon a temporal shield that curse everyone inside (to give them temporal protection), or have the sorcers have a long cast (that make them a very easy target) to call for a huge column of fire and light to burn and heal both enemies and friends.

I bet this game has ben paid by the mage guild to make sorcers look bad.

More games should have spellcasters like that, with abilities that truly feel magical. I’m tired of games where ‘magic’ is just using your hands/ wand/ staff as a gun.

The first thing I do when checking out a new RPG or ARPG is to look at the list of character abilities. If they’re all variations on projectiles, my interest drops a great deal.

Footage from PAX.

So I’ve been trying the open beta they have this weekend.

And you know, I have the feeling this game is going to fail, at least in comparison with their previous game, Chivalry.
Playing it it made me think on the value of something that is easily recognizable, immediate, how familiarity can be a virtue. I think that’s part of the success of Chivalry, everyone understand European warfare. Knights with heavy armor, swordmen with less armor and shield and swords, spearmen with spears, archers with bows, etc. Here you have an unfamiliar, exotic setting that I think it will be too ‘out there’ for some people, with classes like Taurants, Vigilists, Vipress, Tinker or Entropist, each one with an also slightly weird set of powers. It’s much less easily recognizable.

Personally I think the visual style is lovely, and I applaud their effort of doing something novel with the setting/gameplay instead of doing more of the same, but it also made me think why big publishers usually prefer familiar concepts and are risk-averse.

One thing that I don’t like of the gameplay in Chivalry persists in this game, and it’s the tactic to get super close to someone and turn fast. Because the way parrying works it’s very hard to stop the attacks, it’s basically ‘cheese’ exploiting the way the limited fov in a monitor works. Ideally character should have a super fast but very short range attack to counter that tactic.

Also, it uses the traditional server browser, and personally I had problems finding full servers, or servers with unbalanced teams, etc.
It’s also some modernities of actual games like killcam, in fact in this game it would be very useful because lots of times I don’t know what happened.

Hey, remember when this launched? Of course you don’t. No one remembers.

[quote]
We are currently working with Steam on what is essentially a “relaunch” event for Mirage – there will be updates on this within a week’s time, at the very latest.

We’re aware of lower-than-expected player numbers and we are working on solutions to help improve the player experience. Currently we are seeing that players jumping on during off-peak hours can find it hard to find well-populated servers.

Launch day saw technical issues that unfortunately led to a poor start for Mirage’s launch week player population. We know that since then, concurrent player count has suffered and has occasionally been an obstacle to experiencing Mirage as it’s meant to be played. In the short term we want to encourage the community and players to continue to enjoy the game and leave a review on the Mirage Steam store page in advance of our “relaunch” event.[/quote]

http://steamcharts.com/app/368420

All-time peak players: 190

Damn. I picked this up prior to release but I am part of the problem since I haven’t played it yet. I hope they bounce back but it doesn’t look good.

Why do I keep falling for these MP games with short windows of activity?

I loved the art direction though.

I was emailed a key for this. Not sure why, didn’t ask for one, but hey, I figured I’d try it and load up the tutorial. Wow it felt wrong. Everything felt sluggish and weird and poorly designed and I had no fun at all.

A dev just posted on Steam that they are holding a free weekend starting tomorrow, so a chance to try it out.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/368420/discussions/0/1353742967799423735/

This is free to try now:

You would think they would try a steeper sale to increase the playerbase.

Good lord.

Sigh, I’m not surprised. I played it and it just felt wrong. Like I was fighting and shooting spells stuck in molasses.

This is the first time I even heard of this game. D:

That peak 830 number is from a free weekend in June, that apparently everyone missed, lol.

Their previous game still hits 1200 daily players, so apparently, no one wanted magic or a Disney themed Aladdin style combat game.

I had a decent time playing against bots which are competent enough that I lose matches. Movement speed is slow compared to other titles but the combat is brutal and satisfying in a way.