MLB 2020: No Labor Disputes Here! (yet)

Look, they had it on good authority there was a killer wing place in town.

Nick Markakis: This looks like fun, I want back in.

What a bunch of fucking morons, seriously.

I was reasonably sure that MLB said once you opt out there’s no coming back.

Apparently they just give zero fucks about anything now.

I don’t remember reading anything specific about that. I know that if you were classed as a high-risk player, you could opt out and receive your 2020 salary. If you’re not high-risk, I think you can opt out and not draw salary or service time.

I’m not sure where Markakis is there, but if he wants back in, sounds like they’ll pro-rate his service time and contract if he was a non-high risk guy.

MLB may give zero fucks, but I’m not sure Nick Markakis playing baseball is a sign of that. (Now if there definitely was a contractual rule, then that’s pretty terrible of them.)

Don’t even know why I bother being here.

Ah, I found the rule, from the Athletic article on Markakis. There is a provision to not allow players back from the opt out list…but with a rapidly closing loophole.

It was reported at the time that any player not classified as “high risk” to severe COVID-19 complications would be ineligible to play all season upon opting out and being placed on the restricted list. But MLB rules include a process for players returning from the restricted list, and that still held, provided a player applied for reinstatement before Aug. 1.

So apparently if you opted out and are having second thoughts, you’ve still got a day or two. :)

No need to get upset. I just wasn’t aware of the opt out provision, and said as much. No one’s attacked you here.

Joe Kelly suspended for 8 games. Dave Roberts for one.

As some folks have been pointing out on Twitter: it’s kinda weird that Joe Kelly is the first player to get suspended for the Astros cheating their way to a 2017 world series title.

Rosenthal speculating pretty openly that this will be appealed and reduced. 8 games is like 22 games, projected across a 162-game season

“It’s just a piece of metal.”

I feel like Joe Kelly kinda gave MLB it’s first entertaining/polarizing moment last night. Shame he got such a heavy suspension. Dude is a hoot and/or easy to hate if he’s on a team you root against.

Pitchers are also pretty openly supporting Joe Kelly on Twitter with the sentiment “What did you think was going to happen?”

I’m not clear on the justification for suspending Roberts. To send a message and tell clubs to knock it off, I guess?

Agreed. Another clear sign - the Astros approached first and congregated in front of the Dodgers’ dugout clearly breaking any distancing protocols. So far the only Astros punishment I’ve seen is a fine for Dusty Baker.

In other news:

• The Phillies’ entire week has been cancelled now; none of their four games against the Yankees, in Philly or New York, will be played.
  • The Phillies will, however, host the Toronto Blue Jays this weekend.
  • (Except Toronto can’t go to Toronto so they’re the Buffalo Blue Jays).
  • And when the Blue Jays play the Phillies this weekend in Philadelphia, the team from Toronto via Buffalo will be considered the home team, and Phillies the visiting team.
  • Rather than play Friday as scheduled, the teams decided to skip Friday to give more time for daily testing of Phillies exposed to Marlins who had partied in Atlanta.
  • So instead – the home team Blue Jays will play two on Saturday against the visiting Phillies in an empty Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia.
  • But they’re actually not playing two two full games. Each game will be seven innings.
  • Which means simply that a game in Philadelphia could end on a walk off home run in the bottom of the seventh by the non-visiting Buffalo Blue Jays!

Yes, this is MLB 2020!

This is still just a proposal by the Player’s Association for now.

Whole bunch of Leslie Nielsen assuring us there’s nothing to see here from the league going on right now.

I hope they’re able to keep it together for the season. A Padres - Twins World Series would be kinda great.

To me it’s all feels a bit goofy. I think I’d prefer them playing baseball alternatives, like wiffleball one day, high pitch softball another day, barehanded softball with the giant ball another day, etc. I’d be more inclined to watch that.

The Dodgers just had the first 2-run homer ever hit by a leadoff batter. Are you not entertained?

Speaking as a Dodgers fan, yes. (Of course, they would have won without the runner on second anyway.) And speaking of the Padres, their uniforms were looking excellent tonight. I knew reverting to their old color scheme was a good idea, but I didn’t expect it to look that good.

Have I got just the thing for you!

I love the MLW videos. They’re amazing.