MLB 2020: No Labor Disputes Here! (yet)

Yeah, I just discovered it this year during the great sports drought and the production values are really impressive, especially considering that they all seem to be done by a couple of undergrads.

Wow, lot’s of fun! We played a gentler wiffleball and didn’t pitch full steam, instead giving the batters a good swing at it. It was an unwritten rule. We relied on ball movement rather than speed. I could throw a knuckler, which was a lot of fun because it really did float in to the plate and the guys would take mighty cuts at it because it moved so slow, but it did knuckle! Got a lot of whiffs, popups, and easy grounders, but they also teed off on it sometimes.

Wiffleball and Fuzzball were really more fun than the organized baseball I played. I miss that.

Same. I think because I spent a couple of evenings just watching marble runs over and over (go Team Hazers!) Youtube started popping them up on my recommendations list last month and it’s a hoot.

We already were not happy with the Commissioner’s treatment of the cheaters. This new action is ridiculous. Rumor is that the LAPD has assembled a new Hat Squad to greet Commissioner Manfred next time he arrives in town.

I remember that playing wiffleball in middle school PE class gave me the impression that I had a wicked, nigh-unhittable curveball, giving me dreams of (at least local) stardom as a hot pitching prospect. Unfortunately, playing actual baseball brought me back down to earth when I realized that I had virtually no break on the ball at all, other than a slight dip on my sinker. So, yeah, I agree that stuff like wiffleball is more fun for a mere mortal than proper baseball.

Now the question of a double header is moot, as the entire Phillies-Blue Jays series has been postponed after two Phillies staffers, one a clubhouse guy, the other a coach, tested positive.

We played all out, and you had to bat opposite your normal way. So left handed if you were a natural right handed hitter.

I would love to one day find out how much of Cleveland’s insane run of great pitching is due to:

-impeccable scouting
-player development
-chemistry?
-playing in the AL Central*

*I mean, the Twins have a stacked lineup in the last two years, so that can’t be all of it.

the 7-inning doubleheader rule is expected to be approved tomorrow, if only because that’s the only way for teams that are idle currently to make up games.

Random associated stat: the starters through the first seven games have a 22.33/1 strikeout to walk ratio.

Bieber always had great control (162K/10BB one year in the minors) but he used to be under 9.0K/9.

He’s at 17+ K/9 through two games, albeit one of those was against the Royals, who collectively aren’t far from 17 K/9 themselves.

St Louis Cardinals, you’re today’s big COVID winners! Brett Anderson, tonight’s planned starter for MIL:

Baseball: America’s pastime in more ways than one.

Needs to be cancelled. Today.

(The 2020 season, if I’m not being clear enough.)

I agree. Our fantasy league has a 20 games played minimum requirement for it to count and my team’s not faring well early on!

This is completely inconsistent with how they handled the Phillies, and not nearly enough time for more cases to emerge if the first tests came back positive today. Pure mismanagement from MLB on everything COVID-related.

It feels like the league is trying to squeeze out one more weekend and praying that no more positives come back. If there’s a spike in the Cards you’d hope for safety reasons that’s it for the season.

Let’s just make it a Backyard Baseball tournament over the internet and be done with it.

Cleveland’s ready!

A bit sexist that he skipped over every single girl on those benches!