MLB 2021: Does Your Team Care?

Cardinals pitcher John Gant has apparently started spending a lot of time with his ex-wife Tammy 2…

Yeah but is it cultural appropriation tho

When he pitched earlier in the week, he looked like Forrest Gump after his big run…so I’m guessing the real answer is either “poor choices” or “lost a bet.”

Or maybe he’s an old school Bronson Arroyo fan.

Maaaaan. That was probably the genesis of my reflexive horror at White Guy Dreads.

I tried so hard to be a Bronson Arroyo hater. I had every reason to. He was on the Boston team that thumped my Cardinals in the '04 World Series and then pitched for a divisional rival after that.

But man. That leg-kick motion of his was just epic. Like, no one in baseball will every have a pitching motion that looks like that; no one had that before, no one ever will again. It was just so hilariously weird/awesome.

Here’s my favorite stat of the spring, so far.

With Harrison Bader injured, the Cardinals will feature an opening day outfield that likely looks like Tyler O’Neill, Dylan Carlson, and Justin Williams.

Together those three have fewer career MLB plate appearances than Adam Wainwright.

Who is a pitcher.

My Twins navy home jersey got delivered today. It’s a handsome fella!

Now to decide who to put on it. I’m kinda leaning Nelson Cruz if we want to follow the “only customize a jersey with a player who wore it” rule, but Michael Cuddyer is one of my favorite Twins of all time and that would also be dope.

Decisions, decisions.

@triggercut That’s delightful.

I don’t think that you should have to go period throwback to put a player’s name on a jersey who was with the team for a decade+ just like throwbacks of current players are cool. It is often impractical to begin with and no one should feel like they need to pay a premium to get the correct pantone shade of jersey. As long as it’s not your own name I think you’re good.

Smiling in Cubs fan

Remembering Cubs bullpen

I think this makes the Astros the first pro sports team in North America (and maybe one of the first in the world?) to do a mass vaccination of players and personnel.

Which, GOOD.

Hopefully other MLB teams – and also as we head to playoff time, NBA and NHL teams – follow suit as they’re able to.

Only if you want to honor a juicer who shortarms fucking World Series winning flyballs.

I will always love Nellie for this commercial
https://youtu.be/4SeNkMw_JTs

The best part was that phone number worked at the time.

The NBA banned its players from line jumping, which I felt was monumentally stupid.

Cleveland is planning to vaccinate players this month after they’re back home with an eye to scheduling around off days as much as possible. Not sure how feasible that is given their only off days are about two weeks apart unless they’re getting the single dose.

Trying to stagger doses so you can field a team in case there are a lot of reactions (and anecdotally, pro athletes are likely in the healthier, better immune system group that tends to have stronger side effects) is going to be a challenge.

I was actually pleased to hear that Cleveland’s players weren’t vaccinated yet (well, you know what I mean). They have the means to bubble and are lower risk for getting a serious case. Let them go through the same eligibility requirements as everyone else.

It really is.

Look, I get that early on, they shouldn’t have been line-jumping. And I also get that even now this could raise some eyebrows. But with that said – major league athletes are incredibly recognizable people. And part of what they do for a living involves spending time in petri dishes with other players…and then traveling from city to city…and being out in the open for even short periods of time.

And the problem is, when I need to take public transport, I can distance myself, use sanitizer and a mask, and feel relatively safe. No one’s coming up to me to try to shake my hand or ask for a selfie or autograph while I’m hailing a cab.

But when NBA or MLB or even NHL players travel? They’re recognized.

In the US at least, now the vaccines exist. We can do this. It’s not really line-jumping anymore.

Putting Nelly in the field is inviting a scorpion for a jaunt across the river, for sure.

PEDs in sports, eh. I’m a realist. I don’t get too worked up unless a player is a real dick about it.

I considered televised performers/pro athletes to be essential workers, so I felt they should have been prioritized.

The entertainment they provide makes staying at home more bearable.

They generate revenue and jobs, too.

My god. Dan Hayes of The Athletic, come on down and collect your Golden Hatchet for the hackiest sportswriting of 2021 (so far)!

When teams set internal projections for a season, they’re hopeful that each of their players can attain at least the 70th-percentile set of outcomes.

Yes, Dan, that is in fact how people view projections that they themselves make.

They’re thinking about putting a Nelson Cruz statue up outside Busch Stadium in St. Louis… (ducks and runs) KIDDING!