MLB 2022: The Return of the Ghost Runner

1 Like

That’s a brave face by McCarthy, and I hope he’s right.

And deGrom is a MUCH better pitcher than McCarthy or Wacha. But I’m not sure I’d say it wasn’t a big deal. Both Wacha and McCarthy had recurrences of the injury throughout their careers, as well as injuries to their arms and backs that seem to be potentially compensatory from changing delivery mechanics. And Wacha was 22 when his injury hit, and McCarthy was 25 – deGrom is 33.

But again…if, say, deGrom manages to be 95-98% as effective post-injury versus pre-injury, you’d take that and be happy about it, right? Because even 98% of Jacob deGrom is really, really, really good.

I agree, I think it’s wishful thinking that at DeGrom’s age and with his history of injuries that “he’ll be fine.”

Again though, deGrom is so good that even if you get 80-90% of what he was at his best…well,you’d take that for a dude who was putting up a sub-1.00 ERA last year. “Damn, he’s not the same. His ERA is 2.40.”

Absolutely. I just want to watch him pitch. It’s a thing of beauty.

Also, it’s hysterical how Brandon is getting pilloried in the replies.

Hah, good thing I already didn’t give a fuck about my 15-year-running fantasy league this year!

Scherzer hurt a little. Big surprise.

Opening day may be delayed a week, but the Metsing is starting right on time.

The A’s have traded Sean Manea to the Padres.

Cool. I’d not even heard this was coming.

I’m gonna laugh out loud if an MLB team with a $252 million payroll does a bullpen start for Opening Day.

C’mon, it’s “just another game.” Or so I’ve been told.

Guess it’s time for this:

Ya they could have at least given us a week of hope. We’re tanking even before the first pitch. Oh well… I wonder how long it will take before he gets bored of tossing money into the never ending pit of despair that is the Mets? deGrom obviously can’t be relied on. He’s just going to keep getting hurt from the looks of it.

This is the most excited a Reds player has been for Opening Day since The Big Red Machine.

The Dolans massively botched this offseason - their only free agent signings were a backup catcher and the return of Bryan Shaw. They’ll open the season with a payroll around $52m. The rebrand was a half-measure to try and appease both sides and came across as safe, boring, and uninspired. Guardians merchandise wasn’t available for months after the rebrand and they’d finally managed to make the fanbase move beyond anger to apathy. Opening Day is/was in danger of not selling out for the first time since the stadium opened in 1994.

All that said… it’s good to finally be able to hold onto one of our stars. There’s still a lot of work for the Dolans to win the fanbase back. But it’s a start. Of note is the no-trade clause as the team’s MO is signing players for cheap up front and then trading them when salary balloons. Jose is locked in through his age 35 season, and at that point I’d like to think they’ll be able to sign one more short term deal so he can retire here.

Get hyped boys

Tomorrow, 3 of MLB’s top 4 prospects will be making their big league debuts - Bobby Witt Jr (KC), Julio Rodriguez (SEA), and Spencer Torkelson, owner of the toolsiest name in the AL Central for Detroit. (Adley Rutschman might’ve made it all four, but he’s currently hurt.) That likely doesn’t happen under the old CBA, where those teams would’ve kept them in the minors until they grind out the Extra Year of Service Time Achievement.

So if you weren’t a fan of those shenanigans, the new agreement is already paying dividends.

Well, Minnesota delayed opening day due to snow, so Mariners don’t play until Friday.

The weather is just awful here right now. Constant drizzle / snow and temps right around freezing. Pfah!

(Yesterday was moving day. My complaints, let me tell you them.)

Cubs win! Things can only go downhill from here.