MLB 2023: the Year The RSNs Broke

Nicaragua had a solid performance against Venezuela in a losing effort today, but it was largely meaningless for Nicaragua as they were already nearly guaranteed to finish last in the pool before the game started. Nicaragua is a legit baseball country so it would have been nice to see them do better, but that draw was nightmarish for them, especially after losing to Israel. They’ll have to go through qualifiers to return for 2026, but an upshot is that they might get to host a pool since they have a good stadium for it.

Yeah, the Giants have a 30% stake in NBC Sports Bay Area, which also broadcasts the Warriors. I doubt that’s going anywhere anytime soon.

And the Athletics.

Pool C is getting interesting!

Welp, Colombia probably has to beat the US to avoid being relegated. They cannot finish with the same record as Great Britain and remain ranked ahead owing to their loss to them earlier, so unless Mexico loses to GB and Canada, or all teams finish 2-2 (which I think is still possible), Colombia’s going to the qualies next time with a loss to the USA. Also means that things could get tricky for the US if they revert to their earlier form and Colombia stays hungry.

Man, baseball is such a great sport for a tournament format. With such a small sample size and the inherent flukiness of the sport, crazy things are guaranteed to happen.

That’s why the best team doesn’t always win the World Series.

Britain giving Mexico a game here. I have no doubt that Mexico will eventually take advantage of the errors or walks that have been plaguing GBR in this tournament, but it’s cool to see them toughing this one out.

The game between the DR and PR is absolutely electric right now.

Puerto Rico up 4-1 in the fifth.

OMG! Julio Rodriguez just let a Lindor single get by him and it’s a single and three-base error as Lindor circles the bases! 5-1!

It’s been fun, but it ain’t over.
It’s refreshing to see the emotion.

Bases loaded for la Republica, nobody out…

Machado coming up! This is amazing.

The moment looks a little too big for Alex Diaz out there. He’s all but peeing down his leg right now.

Big dp.

Wow. Diaz needed that. I’m honestly not sure if I were batting for the DR that I’d be swinging against him. I don’t think he can throw three strikes in 7 pitches. Maybe, I guess.

Wow. The kid got out of that mess, somehow. I still think that if PR is gonna have a chance, they’re going to need more runs, though. I wouldn’t count on holding that DR lineup under 5 runs…

Yeah everybody’s been so hyped, I think DR got too excited there.

Julio an inning after that misplay in center, makes as good a play as you’ll see to rob Baez.

I love all the love respectfully shared between these two teams. You can tell they reallly want to win but they’re almost celebrating the others achievements. So cool.
And great plays all over the field.

Yeah, it’s like a montage of great plays out there.

Feels like Puerto Rico once again dodged a bullet…or actually had three of them land in their gloves.

In about one or two outs, Puerto Rico is gonna be able to unleash the kraken in their bullpen in the form of Edwin Diaz…

Would’ve been nice to see the last inning but we had to switch to commercials in lieu of the usa game.

And the first thing I see is Mike Trout with a military salute after a triple. 🙄 Good night.

FS1 is contractually obligated to carry Team USA games live, from the first pitch.

And the US has been using the “salute” as their on-base celebration the entire time. If it helps, most of them have clearly not done a salute since they were cub scouts or boy scouts, and are doing those salutes. Which is pretty funny.

Also: Edwin Diaz struck out the side for Puerto Rico in the 9th, to eliminate the Dominican Republic. But…he went down during their celebration, holding his knee, and had to be carried off the field and went to the training room in a wheelchair.

Sorry Mets fans. Dunno what to tell you.