Modern Family Season 3

Yes.

Don’t forget, Hulu should have the last five at any given time. Presently, they appear to have the entire third season up, although the first episode expires in 18 hours!

Been enjoying this show, but I’m finding this season to be more chuckles than guffaws. Perhaps it’s because the characters are fairly established and they tend to do/say the expected things.

I loved the scene with Cam singing to the surrogate mother to appease his vanity - great slow build to the inevitable conclusion.

Tonight’s episode was spectacular. Even moreso because parent groups didn’t want it aired.

I’m not sure how much stock to put into that. Sounds like one and a half fringe groups hitching their wagon to something popular for the sake of getting publicity, and dippy news outlets happily obliging them. Besides, I think the far more explicit part of the episode was Sofia Vergara in that blue dress. Dios mio! And the show’s creator says to EW in that article you linked, “We are not a sexually charged show”. Ha ha!

I was kind of lukewarm on this episode, but I once again love how committed Julie Bowen is. She was kind of forcing it, which is evident when Ty Burrell gets in there and pretty much knocks it out of the park without breaking a sweat. But that didn’t stop her from going all the way and being utterly willing to look foolish. And even though I think autotuning gags are so 2010, that payoff totally worked for me.

-Tom

Bleh at the last episode. I really hate the celebrity cameos where they pretty much squander a celebrity on some rinky-dinky part. I suppose they used Greg Kinnear’s unctuous charm well enough, but what a colossal waste of Phil Hendrie. The only celebrity cameo I’ve really liked was the episode with Leslie Mann, where Cam insisted he could pick up a straight woman.

And am I the only one who thought the stinger after the credits, with Luke dressed up as a little girl, was really weird?

-Tom

Ah, it’s so nice when this show comes together. Last week was the sort of wretched flat unfunny episode that makes me wonder why I even bother watching a formulaic sitcom like Modern Family. But then along comes this week’s show, with some really solid laugh-out-loud moments and the cast obviously having a great time. Ed O’Neil in his pink robe, Jesse Tyler Ferguson doing his “distract Cam” dance, Sofia Vergara’s actually hitting someone, and Luke’s failed cut finger ploy and “you’re all monsterating!” line. Why can’t the kid who plays Manny be as good as Nolan Gould, who plays Luke? And some good bawdy bits like “everybody follow the birthday flag”, “first of all, that lady is my son!”, and Mitchell’s last line about the eight year old boy he fell in love with.

-Tom

Wow at this latest episode. I think I was laughing nonstop from “teeny, tiny blue whale” all the way to the end.

Loved it. Of course Mitchell would put together a Wizard of Oz party only to have it thwarted by real-life tornado sensitivity. He tries but almost always has rotten luck.

“See you of the other side, brother.”

The sight of Luke when Phil walked into the bathroom to check on his finger cut had me laughing so hard. Gold. Pure Gold.

So I’m not the only one who watches Modern Family, after all!

-Tom

P.S. Ha ha, you guys watch Modern Family.

I’m proud to watch Modern Family. I watch some embarrassing TV. I watch The Vampire Diaries. I even made it through half a season of Gossip Girl.

Hahaha Gossip Girl.

Same here. Isn’t everybody?

“Commission accomplished.”

Ed O Neill really delivers lines like that so perfectly, and he is so good on this show, that I feel kind of bad that he languished for years for that stupid Married with Children show. Sure, that show had some funny moments, but man, what a waste of talent. The writing on that show was pretty bad for the most part. O’Neill’s talents should have been used on much better gigs.

I don’t know if he was necessarily all that talented, to be honest. It could be that he has grown as an actor or that this is his perfect role, but it’s not like when I was watching MwC I was thinking “man the writing is bad here but damn this lead actor has skills”, if anything he hammed it up and made it worse. And looking through his filmography he hasn’t really had anything other than cameo/bit parts in other shows.

He languished all the way to the bank! :)

But, yeah, he’s honed his sitcom skills razor sharp and it really shows. He and Ty Burrell basically run circles around the rest of the Modern Family cast when it comes to nailing the material. And one of the reasons I love Modern Family is that you get the sense Julie Bowen and Sofia Vergara are so much better for being paired with them. And both actresses are so damn energetic. Sofia Vergara in particular.

I seem to recall seeing Ed O’Neill playing gruff cops in a couple of movies – at least one David Mamet script, if I’m not mistaken – and being surprised at how effectively he could stop being funny. Clearly, the man knows how to do more than mug.

-Tom

If you’d like to see him do something more nuanced, check out the short-lived “John From Cincinnati”.

Ah, right, that’s where I’ve also seen him. I loved him in that.

BTW, interesting choice of adjective. “Short-lived” is one of the many adjectives you can use for that show. :)

-Tom