Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: pigs and cats

Title Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: pigs and cats
Author Brandon Cackowski-Schnell
Posted in Game diaries
When March 9, 2015

Once I have a few quests under my belt in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate the game starts to open up but unfortunately not in the four hour phone call from my sister way in which I get every piece of information I could possibly wish for but in the conversation with my twelve

Read the full article

The guild hall is for multiplayer quests. The quests may be similar, but they are much more difficult as they are intended to be played with other people. You can also do Arena Quests there, which are basically time trials against specific monsters with fixed sets of equipment. The DLC event quests also show up here, as do Guild Quests, which you unlock via expeditions.

Your progression in the guild hall is separate from the single player, you have a different hunter rank in each one.

I think the "level up" you're seeing is your Palico, not you!! And you won't be able to recruit more Palicos until later in the game - after you have got to the 3rd camp. And yeah, MH isn't very good at imparting information about it's labyrinthine systems, but I guess the game has grown up with the internet, so the expectation is you'll look for help there. Not ideal, I agree, but the game is so insanely deep if it tried to explain everything you'd spend hours doing nothing but reading!

To get more Palicos, you have to wait until you have access to Sunsnug Island. You'll know when you get there.

Once you have access to that, you can find Palicoes for hire in the Felyne...hang-out area, I guess I'd call it. Every map has one, and I think you can hire one Palico during every quest.

The Guild Hall is primarily for multiplayer questing, though you can tackle it solo as well. Your HR is used as a general way of tracking your skill. In most RPGs, the level indicates your actual power. In Monster Hunter, HR lets other players know how relatively skilled you are; in other games, you could've ground your way to a level regardless of skill, and Monster Hunter isn't going to accommodate that kind of nonsense.

Corrections:
"a lot more th[a]n any game"
"the game’s more complex systems works [sic]"