Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

Haha I don’t really multiplay. For starters I’m not about to pay for Nintendo online, but mostly I rely on the ability to pause due to distractions and my kid.

Ouch, I didn’t realise so much content was locked behind a paywall.
That really sucks, and it means only one thing : that MHGU is really the… NO LEAVE ME BE, I HAVE MY PART TO SAY AAAAAH

But in venturing out on hunts in the game’s first two biomes, I didn’t run into any performance issues. I was also able to train and upgrade my gear without any problems — on PC, the game runs very well. The issue isn’t that this is a bad version of Monster Hunter Rise , it’s that it’s the same exact experience as it was in 2021. It may be on a more powerful platform now, but Rise can’t shake its history on Switch.

For PC-only players who’ve been dying to play since last March, Rise on PC will still show you a good time. In fact, with all of the post-game updates already out for the PC version and an expansion coming to both platforms this summer, you’ll likely have a better first year with Rise than Switch players did.

I wish they were porting Rise over to PS4.

Two words: Steam Deck. ;)

If Sunbreak comes out before I get a steam deck I’ll buy Rise + Sunbreak on steam no issue, and probably hack my save so I can start where I’m at now.

Otherwise, I’ll just stick with the Switch for sunbreak. I don’t want to buy both for both platforms without cross save, and who knows when I’ll actually be able to order a steam deck.

“Performing better” is meaningless when you have a huge range of hardware on PC.

Is the port well done? I was expecting the worst… It would be interesting to compare to emulation, since the emulator is well done and usually works well on very cheap hardware.

Taking Monster Hunter World as a reference point, my machine does alright with a mix of medium/high settings at 1080p there (which is about par for most modern games). I didn’t have trouble running at 4k on high settings for the Rise demo. I’ve got an i7 but it’s old enough that I’m not eligible for Windows 11, and my graphics is an nVidia 1060. Think of it more like a remaster where a last gen game gets new textures and video resolution support - makes my normally pretty ordinary graphics card feel like a champ. And mouse/keyboard support is solid.

Also - try the demo! Can’t fault Capcom for that part - it makes it clear exactly what kind of performance to expect from the full game.

I was actually a bit turned off by the demo - all the bits I actually enjoy like crafting and collecting things and optimising builds for the hunt aren’t part of it - not really “my hunter” at all, but all the hype is getting me excited again.

Well, 4k on a 1060 would surely be quite good.

You know those things are part of the full game, yeah? Just not in the demo. :)

I’ve only seen the demo, but I think so.

It’s basically a newer version of the MH World engine, that also powers a bunch of other Capcom cross-platform games, most recently DMC 5 and the Resident Evils. The Switch version of the engine is actually a port, and was surprising in how well it ran. :)

It seems to have a pretty similar range of PC graphics options to MH World.

Is there a quick rundown somewhere (either in this thread or on the web at large) that outlines the differences between this and World? World is my only reference point, as a PC player.

The demo pretty much covers it, I think. Main thing is the new traversal, which is easy enough as the levels are much more open than World’s.
Most of the new hunting mechanics, like riding monsters, are scripted events that you’ll quickly catch the trigger conditions’.
Oh and you got a radar telling you where the monsters are at all times, so hunting is limited to chasing. Really, it’s World easy mode!

Ah yes, one thing is that some (very few, to be fair) of World’s weapon moves aren’t available from the start, and you’ll unlock them at bits during your progression.

It is World Minus, which really appeals to some people!

If you Google I’m sure you’ll get more comprehensive details, but it’s a similar game with enough changes to make it feel fresh. Discounting the obvious graphical downgrade, we roughly have:

1. New monsters/worlds
  2. Grapple replaced with Wirebug. Wirebugs add a bunch of moves, lets you grapple anywhere, adds crazy verticality, and factors into attacks to debuff monsters.
  3. Wirebug also factors into new monster mounting mechanics. You can ride and control monsters to fight other monsters.
  4. Palamute. You can take a dog companion which acts as a mount to get around quicker.
  5. In addition to 2 & 3, traversal in general is greatly improved. There’s a bit of a wall running mechanic, a kind of semi meta fast-travel unlock thing, and it’s easy to quickly gain height. It’s very cool.
  6. Rampage. This is like a tower defense-style mission that pops up occasionally.
  7. Canteen works differently, but serves the same purpose.
  8. They removed the need to use the hot/cold survival potions.
  9. Endemic life is now everywhere and basically acts as quick stat boost pickups.
  10. Solo and multiplayer missions split into separate boards, much like the older games.
  11. I’m probably forgetting some! Skipabble cutscenes? :)

edit: 12. No Poogie! :( But you do get a cute owl. :)

Speaking of which, monster health doesn’t scale with the number of players, which means if you attempt to take on MP missions on your own, you’re in heavy danger of running out of time early on (and even later on). Basically MP content (which is the majority of the game) is forced to be played with other players.

Thank you very much for this, though unfortunately…

If the bulk of the game isn’t accessible in SP, that would be a dealbreaker. I solo’d all of World (never got around to Iceborne) and would be looking to solo this too.

You can solo all of Rise too.

This is good to hear, your post had me pretty excited for it but I’m not sure I understand what @Left_Empty meant in that case. Everything is available as an SP mission? Or is it that you can solo the MP missions but it’s bastard hard? Because let me be clear, I’m not all that good at these games. :)

They got tons of health, so if you’re properly geared and levelled for a MP monster and attempt to do him solo, you’ll probably be very close to run out of time, if you don’t.
Frankly, I don’t find any fun playing the game solo, so that’s a non issue for me. And partying in this one is easy as ever, with zero interactions needed if you want to play with randos!