Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

Ooof! That’s ridiculous. It’s so much unnecessary faff.

I think there’s an extended demo with a new mission out today/tomorrow.

Also the PC release was confirmed on the official site:

Wonder if they’ll keep it a year behind all updates again like World

Demo has an overtuned Magnamalo, who remains undefeated after 27 attempts. I did cut his tail once!

Of all the many options on offer, all I’m wanting is way to invert map scrolling lol…

Physical or download? I see my local Amazon no longer has the physical standard edition listed for some reason, so I guess I pay the extra premium for the download. :P

Sounds like we need Monster Hunter Invert!

Review embargo lifts in about nine and a half hours, three days ahead of release.

Did anyone else give Magnamalo a try? Took me over 60 attempts to defeat him.

Can’t remember the last time I was this excited for a new game! The rampage/tower defense-like mode looks pretty fresh, looking forward to giving that a try.

I didn’t, because — don’t laugh — I didn’t want to be spoiled! I’m one of those people who don’t read MH reviews because they feature screenshots of monsters they haven’t seen yet…

Fair enough, I had the same initial reaction! The high difficulty is what prompted me to give it a shot; now that I’ve got that feather in my cap I’m not touching the switch until Friday.

Big words!

The reviews are in and I read one from a Frecnh site (without shots, ha!) which is quite interesting. It tells the game feels unfinished in a way, that some aspect seems deliberately locked away and that more content seems advertised for late april-early may.
So uh, public paid beta on Friday I guess!

Ha! I do see that as well in some reviews that mention the rest of the “story” is locked away until a later update. Maybe it’s the difference between high/low rank? The plot has always been tangential to the MH experience, I’m less concerned about that and more that the complete game is locked behind a timed update for some reason. MHW was great about providing tons of content post launch, hoping it’s more in the spirit of continual content delivery than a gateway to the full experience.

It’s mostly doing the same thing World did, releasing new monsters in free updates. I didn’t see any of the major reviews that I scanned complain about lack of content.

The reports of the story being unfinished, I read this was a mistranslation from the Japanese video at the start of the month which apparently said something more like they’re adding extra story, alternate endings or something.

Not sure why the locked HR though, but at least this is not too far after release!

Has there been anything that details the weapon customization? Reviews make it sound like you can swap out moves, but I haven’t seen anything that really details what that means. I really liked the Arts and Styles from Generations, and World always felt kind of lacking as a result. It doesn’t sound like Rise approaches that much flexibility, but I’m curious about what’s there.

The review I read made it clear the story ended abruptly on a cliffhanger without any post endgame content, which was very disappointing to the writer.

He also complained about the lack of content, which made me chuckle since he confessed he clocked 80 hours.

Ah ok thanks, I stand corrected! :)

I think Rise does have more content than World at launch, but people complained about the content in World too.

Apparently you got two (signature, i think that’s what they are called?) moves that you can swap. Seems they are arts light? The reviewer i read explained you could also customize the type of the weapon somewhat(maybe it’s ailment?), Without detailing it sadly.

He also mentioned that the review copy had 3 HR monsters, but all could only be hunted in a new tower defence sort of mode, which wasn’t exactly the most exciting thing(i am guessing reminiscent of that end game special mission in MHGU?).

Also of interest to me was that the review copy allowed each Hunter to bring his own palico, which resulted in an absolute mayhem. I’m curious to see if this will be in the released game, as he made it sound both terrible and hilarious.

I saw a video review by Rurikhan where he said the same thing.