Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

I tried my hand at the hard mode 2x. I got the harbinger down to 33% HP, but he killed me. The bastard hit my like 4 out of 5 times on the final turn while I had a 90% dodge rate.

I’m on a weird run with my barbarian. There were no merchants or captains at all in the first 2 dungeons. I’ve mostly cleared the 3rd dungeon and have found 5 merchants there so far. Still no captains though. Because there haven’t been any, I haven’t been able to increase my AP much. I only start with 4 AP at level 12 which is a big handicap for this class. I’m really amazed he’s made it this far but he’s about to die for sure.

So, @nerdook maybe you can smooth out the RNG so there’s at least a captain and merchant or two somewhere in the first 2 dungeons? Right now it looks like it generates a total for all 3 and they can all get dumped into just one.

So far I’ve won with 4 classes. Ranked around 200 currently on the board but I have no idea if that’s good or bad.

Sweet, Splattercat started a YouTube series on this today and it has over 8k views. Hopefully that sells some more copies.

Edit: and Tom has a review!

I stumbled on this as my “friends are playing it”. This long ass thread, even without reading it, and reading the description on Steam is enough to sell me on it. :)

Whoa Splattercat’s Let’s Play really gave a nice bump to sales when I woke up this morning! So hyped up to keep working on the game and show you guys what I have in mind for the future! :)

@tomchick Thanks so much for the kind review, it was a lovely thing to read!

He changed his format recently and isn’t doing as many long series, but hopefully he will give it another go.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

I’m having issues trying Legendary simply because I can’t stockpile enough decent weapons from normal. :) Loving the game though. Cleric is my best class so far, mostly due to the fact Repent damage seems to not care about resists.

Is there a way to not rank up fame? I’m at the point I’ve unlocked everything except the repeatable and I’m not really looking forward to things getting harder just to be harder when I still haven’t been able to beat Legendary.

Excellent. This is exactly the game I want to play right now. A challenging roguelike I can jump right into and with interesting choices, but not overly complex. I love the more complex roguelikes (and games in general) as well, but my brain is not allowing for that these days.

I am terrible with these games of selecting a character and putting on blinders to only play that character repeatedly until I achieve greater success. I don’t see people mention Barbarian successes. Maybe I should free myself from her.

I know its a simple thing and probably occurs more often than not, but I appreciate that the changes in equipment are reflected on our little characters. Nothing I hate worse than in some game putting on some armor and the character still looks like he or she is wearing a linen blouse.

And the Mulligan. I really appreciate the Mulligan. :)

Great work @nerdook!

Am I missing where you view the Fame ranking discussed up-thread?

Also, when you accept “Permanent” cards that clog up your deck at an Altar, can you still rid yourself of those when you visit an NPC that allows you to delete a card?

You can only see it when you first load the game and select Slot 1. Then it will first show you a stats page of your kills, wins, defeats, etc. for a few seconds and then pop up the ranking page. Note that this page only shows for a second or two and then goes away. I included a pic below (Steam screenshot F12 does NOT work on this page, BTW). I hope @nerdook will consider making these both screens that you can access at any time from the menu.

http://imgur.com/u8nG3xQ

Yes! You can delete the Penitence cards you get from the alters just like all the others. I just tried that yesterday and was happy to see that it worked.

[quote=“Tyjenks, post:189, topic:129051”]I don’t see people mention Barbarian successes.
[/quote]

I’m playing one right now and they are a very strong and fun class. Even with my APs gimped badly I’ve still made it halfway through the 3rd Dungeon with just my second run. Note the 5 merchants I talked about up thread. None in the first 2 dungeons.

Summary

http://imgur.com/qFpG5J3

[quote=“Coldsteel, post:190, topic:129051, full:true”]

[quote=“Tyjenks, post:189, topic:129051”]
Am I missing where you view the Fame ranking discussed up-thread?

You can only see it when you first load the game and select Slot 1. Then it will first show you a stats page of your kills, wins, defeats, etc. for a few seconds and then pop up the ranking page. Note that this page only shows for a second or two and then goes away. I included a pic below (Steam screenshot F12 does NOT work on this page, BTW). I hope @nerdook will consider making these both screens that you can access at any time from the menu.

http://imgur.com/u8nG3xQ [/quote]

That is weird. That seems like something I would have noticed and I have selected slot one about a dozen times and I do not remember that at all. Does it maybe only activate after beating the Harbinger for the first time?

Thanks for the other responses!

If you’re not seeing it then maybe that’s the case. I don’t remember if I saw it or not before I won with my first class.

I have generally been seeing it between dungeon 1 and 2. I haven’t beaten the harbinger so that isn’t it.

Nah, you don’t have to beat the harbinger to get that.

Day 9 Night just popped up after completing a Dungeon and that screen came up. I swear I did not notice it before. Maybe I clicked through it? That seems really unlikely after several runs and always finishing at least the first Dungeon. Anyway, maybe I’m losing my mind.

@nerdook, In this screenshot it shows my barbarian with 6 AP, which is what he should have. However, whenever I go into any battle, he always starts with only 4AP. Is this a bug or am I missing something? The weird thing is that during battles, when it says I have 2 AP left and use a card costing 2 AP, sometimes I still will have 2 AP left and can use another card. Maybe it’s a display issue?

Are you using a piece of dwarven gear with +AP? I know they didn’t work properly at one point. This could be a display issue of some kind.

It’s most certainly some kind of display bug. I just tested it. Went into a battle, shows 4AP. Cast a 1AP card. Still shows 4AP. Cast a 2AP card. Now is shows 3AP left. So whatever it is affects 2 AP.

I might have a piece of equipment on that adds AP but I’m not sure and you can’t see what you have equipped (I really wish you could).

Pretty sure you can on the map screen at least, lower left corner.

Nope. All you can do is view your deck on the map screen. You can visually see what the character is wearing in the lower left corner but you don’t see any stats. I wonder if a mouse-over tooltip for stats would be possible there for each piece you have equipped?