Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

Yeah. The issue is more that monsters pretty much ignore the whole AP framework because they start with so damn many. My suggestion would be to make them follow a rough progression by level similar to what players have, since monsters generally follow player rules/constraints otherwise.

I like the change where you are guaranteed a level off a boss kill. Feels good.

Not sure if it’s new or I just noticed it, but I also like how altars give you clues as to the Harbinger’s abilities.

Man it is really hard to get any consistency out of a Wizard. You pretty much have to upgrade your Mana Charges ASAP so as to not fall entirely behind as you get new spells via chest/level/merchant, but you have six freaking basically dead Attack cards to cull too. I feel like the Wizard start could have just a slightly more consistent deck (I dunno, switch two Attacks for a Mana Crystal and a Magic Missile or something).

oh is that what’s happening? I thought that taking the altar’s reward made the Harbinger have that ability, and then I had some games where I looked at the altar but didn’t take it and he still had them so I thought just looking at the altar was doing it and I started avoiding them. But if it always has some number of powerups and the altars are just hints, that’s good to know. Also it makes a lot more sense than what I thought.

That’s been there from the start, FYI. Yeah, it’s intended to give you a clue how to prepare for the harbinger fight.

In the coming update, I’ll be tweaking the monster AP formula: AP = enemy level + (dungeon level-1), minimum of 3 AP. That should scale closer to the player’s normal AP growth, with the Harbinger starting at 17 APs.

Well damn, I finally won on Legendary mode since the update that made it harder. I had a ranger with 3 cards of the ones that attack 4 times, and 3 of the double damage for the turn. I also sent in with 2 invulnerability potions which I saved for the battle after the harbinger. I could lay down some big damage when the cards fall right.

What enemies do you always avoid?

Personally, baring some resist depending on my primary damage (I try to avoid fighting golems as thief, or undead as a barbarian, duh!) I have 2 banes: the mercenary, obviously, since it copies your deck and usually ends up eating a lot of your resources, so I save it for a level up and… the undead knights. The undead fucking knights, to be correct.

Knights usually only piss me off as a wizard or cleric.

Barbarians are dicks. Usually save them for a level up; they can put out way too much damage in a turn for comfort.

Tiger Assassin can be really evil. Careful there.

Mercs, as you said.

Dragons, duh.

Those are all “tough” rather than “bullshit” to me, though, which speaks to the game’s balancing.

Well, they can be bullshit when the RNG frowns upon me. But that’s kinda the deal, so eh.

I don’t usually avoid any enemies on the first 2 levels, but I do try to manage the order that I take them on. On the 3rd level I try to take the easiest path to get to level 15. I will attack the harbinger at level 14 if I’ve used up whatever healing sources - clerics, campfires, leveling that are available.

I’m most cautious about the mercenaries and dragons. If I don’t have a deck that hits hard enough I’m cautious about taking on trolls and werewolves. I also try to avoid the enemy that dodges 50% of the time.

Yeah, the changes to knights make them nasty, nasty critters vs a cleric. I learned that the hard way last week.

Geez, the Priestess who pretty much makes you discard your entire hand every turn. Obviously the worst.

But even with this formula I can only assume AP intensive creatures, like thieves or archers will be a bit higher than the level average and spellcasters a little lower?

A little rule clarification here if anybody knows. Is dodging only relevant to “Attack Cards” or any sort of attack be it even via Spell or Support cards? Furthermore, does a critical hit override a dodge or is the dodge determined first rendering the critical irrelevant?

Not sure about crits, but dodge only applies to “attack” type cards.

Supports don’t get countered by much of anything, which makes them really valuable in certain matchups.

New update!

v 1.1.6

• Added a new Tier 2 card ‘Cripple’: deals damage and lets you choose a card to discard from the enemy’s hand
  • Added ‘Delete Save Slot’ and ‘Clear Companion Names’ options to the World Map
  • Added ‘Abort Quest’ option during a adventure, just above the ‘View Deck’ button
  • Fixed Brute crash when no cards are available for auto-upgrading
  • Changed Brute’s Tier 3 cards: they are no longer banished on use, and do one time damage instead of Bleeding
  • Further diluted enemy decks in Normal mode with weaker cards
  • Highscore leaderboard now truncates your username to the first 18 characters, all thanks to a funny Steam user named “My User Name Is Too Long For This”
  • Fixed mouseover for XP previews so they only show up when mousing over unexplored rooms
  • Fixed ‘Kill’ card to no longer work on the Shadow

A successful Dodge cancels an attack card before any effects on them are resolved, so there is zero chance of anything happening including Critical Hits.

I just want to throw out there that the necromancer is tremendous fun.

I also finally won on Legendary mode, and I also had a ranger with 2 Arrow Storm and 3 Killing Blow (the damage doubler). Also I had really underrated Mighty Hit before - it’s now my first upgrade all the way to 3 before I start doing anything else.

btw the “reset companion names” didn’t appear to work for me.

Oh I will look into that. I think it’s not saving properly at the moment, sorry. Grrrr.

Tiny UI thing: Starting a new character out on the Inventory screen before showing the dungeon-choice map would be awesome. I still regularly forget to equip a new dude.

I actually came around to that conclusion too :-)

This game needs to be on iOS so I can keep playing when I’m not at my desk!