Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

I won with all of the original classes, but that was months ago. Not sure if it was made harder.

I started up a game I hadn’t played before called Reverse Crawl and I heard some very familiar music. The screen was black due to some Windows 10 incompatibility (which is solved by setting the .exe compatibility mode) so I couldn’t see any logo or anything else. It took me a second to realize it was the music that plays when starting Monster Slayers. I fixed the compatibility issue and sure enough there was Nerdook’s logo. I was so happy to stumble on another game by him since I liked Monster Slayers so much.

It’s a light hearted fantasy game with tactical battles. You gain XP and select upgrades to your troops. Some missions also can give upgrades. The battles play quickly and the entire campaign lasted around 4 hours. It wasn’t overly challenging, but it was just challenging enough to keep me playing and considering my moves instead of clicking willy nilly. There is an endless mode and new game + if you need some more playtime from the game.

I’ve now won with two classes so far. It’s not easy beating the harbinger. That guy has a lot of hit points and hits hard. I have no problem getting to him with the other classes, but I usually lose. It’s all about the deck, I suppose.

… and getting the upgrades too. That definitely helps.

Yeah, I try to upgrade and delete cards as much as possible. I either need cards that hit really hard or cards that mitigate a lot of damage to have a chance against the Harbinger. Fun game. I’ve gotten my $6 out of it and then some.

I wish I could get to the Harbinger sooner. I feel like most of the battles along the way are routine now. I wish I could skip a lot of them but I need every battle to get XP and gold.

I love this game! But I cannot cannot cannot beat the Harbinger (or even get to him) using the Cleric. I have beat him with all other basic classes and want to complete the set.

I usually prioritize Repent and try to balance getting AP and deleting useless cards. Any pointers?

And I just had a great run, getting to the Harbinger with full health at level 15 and a nice deck with the cleric. And I whittled him down to 6 hp before he killed me. So close!

Playing this again, and I have still only beaten it once, with a Mage. Anyone got any general principles or tips with the other classes they can share? I really wanna unlock more stuff…

Slim your deck and get rid of cards that do low damage, though thief is an exception since it has cards that can chain attacks. Then save gold and buy the best versions of cards in the final round that fit the class you are playing.

You are going to win by either out-thumping the big baddie or by using some form of damage mitigation to outlast him. It depends on the class you are playing.

I typically like a card or two that adds gold. Gold lets you pay to dump some cards and lets you buy the big cards you need in the final round.

What Mark said. They key mistakes I made when new was buying too much stuff in the first two dungeons and not slimming enough. Slimming is really key. Every healer should be deleting cards and the merchant delete option should be used 3-4 times until the cost becomes infeasible. If card deletion is offered at level up its almost always the best option. Slim down, and spend only a little gold buying cards in the first two dungeons. The good stuff isn’t available until the third dungeon.

Beyond that advice is class specific. I’m happy to comment in any class because I lost several months of my life to this game and have beaten it with every class more than once.

This is basically correct with the caveat that you need to make sure your AP and/or mana are keeping up with the composition of your deck. The goal is to get to the point where all your cards are good and you can play all the cards in your hand each turn. If you’ve gotten rid of all your cheap cards but you don’t have the AP to play the expensive stuff you’re not really in a better place.

I’m embarrassed to say that these are exactly what I have been doing, but I still keep losing, usually right around the Harbinger (often a bit before.)

I find the dragons to be difficult. I try to avoid them when possible.

Thanks for to Tom for letting me know about this game. It’s the first and only game I ever did all the achievements for.

Now I can finally sleep and do something productive.

Whoa, that’s impressive. Any particularly tricky achievements in there?

I keep meaning to single out a game to 100% myself, but haven’t quite settled on the game.

-Tom

I recommend “Ironclad Tactics”. (The joke is that there’s only one achievement, and you get it for looking at the rules page. It’s a good game, too, though).

The one where you have to finish legendary difficulty with 12 different characters is tough if you don’t have the extra 2 classes.

Im my opinion, Cleric isn’t that good against the secret legendary boss. Otherwise the achievements are very organic.

Coming to Switch on April 5th

Thanks for the heads up. I really liked this one, but just didn’t care to park at the PC to play it. I see this being a good match for Switch. I also like the art or traditional fantasy more than Slay the Spire

StS is good fun but I do really like it when your opponent has a deck as well, not just automatic actions.