Monster Train or Deckbuilder: the ‘good parts’ version

Just had my first victory, third run of the game. What got me was I had a relic that gave me +7 starting energy for cards, and I had a 10-drop 100/50 unit I had upgraded to be like 115/115 and he seemed to always be in my starting hand (I had two copies of him) so I could drop him down. I had another spell that did 5 damage to a friendly, but granted 20 armor, and it was enchanted to go to the top of the deck when played, so I could pile armor onto him every turn. It was an incredible combo. I see a “deep permalink” to my victory run, so let’s see what this does:

monstertrain://runresult/d98425d8-1f99-46a3-a675-525f9919a596

Very nice! I haven’t used consumer of Crowns yet.

That spines win I had yesterday got wacky in the next to last fight. This illustrates one reason I find the tactical decisions so much more compelling than Slay the Spire.

I took a challenge with enemies starting on every floor. No problem. But what I didn’t realize (because I didn’t look) was that the units I was fighting had a death curse (extinguish) that did five points of damage to the front enemy unit when they are killed.

I started with my normal setup during that run with my low health champion behind a vinemother on the middle floor. The vinemother puts a sting card in my hand every turn. Those cards are my primary form of damage. If I lose her, I’m hosed.

After the first turn, enemies from the bottom ascend to the middle. If I don’t attack them, they kill vinemother. If I do attack them, the extinguish kills her. I look at my draw for a unit I can put in from of her to protect her. I don’t have one (I think the one I had, there wasn’t space for). Then I see Channelsong.

Channelsong is a spell that summons a unit from your draw pile and buffs their stats with an extra 20 attack and health. That sounds amazing, but this spell has a nasty habit of showing up at the end of the deck when there are no units to draw. But not this time. I play Channelsong and pull a…Molluscmage?

Now, a Molluscmage is a 7 atk/ 1 health buff unit you put in the back, because it’s fragile. But in a moment of prescience I can’t explain to you, I had enhanced the attack of this little guy by 10 (17/1) and made it endless, which means that unlike normal units in this game, if it dies, it goes to the top of the draw pile (typically, dead units are just gone for the rest of the battle).

So now I have a 37/21 tank mage that gets drawn again the following turn when killed, and another that is 17/1, because I had duplicated the unit. Using those two, I’m able to swap them into different spots as they are killed and save the day.

Have I mentioned I love this game?

I loved Slay the Spire and this one looks pretty nice. Battling my inner self of getting with the 20% discount or waiting since who knows when I’d actually start playing it. There is a reason the Humble Choice is usually underwhelming for me…I tend to have already picked up the ones that I really wanted.

Picked this up. Absolutely awesome so far if maybe a little more combo-wombo than I’m entirely comfortable with. Lots of multiplication.

Won my first run on my second try. The artifact that gives a 50% chance to daze (skip a turn) to every enemy is really very strong.

Went down to 4 pyre health at one point. Figured I was boned. I was not!

I didn’t get to one-shot the endboss with 1300 damage from from Battering Ram, but I did squish some of his homies thus.

Fun game.

monstertrain://runresult/79f68548-46b8-426e-9aec-79eaa0446f05

Heh, I had that artifact and the one that dazes on top row and still lost my most recent run (my first with umbra). I wanted a multistrike upgrade and didn’t get. Could not manage to work around it. In retrospect I really had too much riding on needing that. I just didn’t have the damage output for the last fight

Congrats on finishing tutorial mode, now on to the real game 😁

Just did a combo with the Hoarfrost + Holdover and Stygian Frozen + Sweep.

Frozen + Sweep = Inflict Frozen on the Boss.

Hoarfrost + Holdover allows the doubling of frozen (which damages every turn) and puts the card back into the draw pile.

This allows me to double the frozen inflicted on the Boss every turn. I manage to kill Fel which had 700 HP’s even before the relentless phase set in.

Well done! That sort of thing is exactly what this game is about. The challenge is in finding something equally OP, or nearly so, in every run.

I find that once a combo is found that can carry all the way to the end, stop taking in any more cards is the best choice.

The melting clan is extremely powerful, being able to reform (bring back a unit) is extremely powerful when combined with artifacts that damages as well as gives gold upon unit deaths.

Digging this game, thanks for the heads up. Agree it has that Disgaea like “you can be OP in many ways” level of tuning. I really like that.

This allowed me to plough through Seraph (end boss) before relentless also. Definately an overwhelming combo.

Good lord. I literally just had this happen and came to brag about it! Like, about 20 minutes ago this happened, right when you were posting this!

What’s your nick on Steam? Will be nice to see how everyone is doing!

monstertrain://runresult/ea73ab73-963a-4cd7-bf2f-4e520f1316f8

I think it’s sdlufkin, if that isn’t it let me know.

EDIT: Yep! I also remembered you can click on someone’s avatar and if they filled it in their profile, it’s displayed.

Oh, I think Steam makes us add Friend Code now instead of usernames. Mine is 42477190

Dont seem to be the right one.

No, that’s me. I changed my name some time ago, was attracting a few folks that ended up being spammers/scammers.

Covenants 9-12 combined are a real whammy. 9 gives you 20 pyre damage at the start, 10 has your own units on the top floor start dazed, and 12 increases the full boss (i.e. level 3/6/9) HPs.

So while it had been smooth sailing until that, I got stuck in level 12 for a pretty long while. Half my runs didn’t even make it past Daedalus.

There’s a really nasty interaction here. The dazed top floor makes getting money way harder (it’s super dangerous to take the “units on every level” modifier in the first fight, and you can’t snipe the money bags with a unit). But you also desperately need the upgrades since with the increased HP + starting pyre damage Daedalus goes from a formality to an actual DPS check.

I finally did make it through with a Melted/Umbra deck, but that’s mostly because the Burn Bright variant of Rector Flickeris such a ludicrously good champion as long as you have a source of Burning (which I had in the starting hand), and an early Wickless Tycoon provided basically an endless supply of money. Not very repeatable, so need to git gud :)

One huge quality of life tip: You can increase the game speed during combat past the ultra speed by pressing down the right mouse button. It’s a very substantial increase, maybe 5x faster.

Nice tip!

Like you, I am using the random clan setups. Much more fun!

Added