Moon, starring Sam Rockwell

It didn’t strike as odd so much that a company reaping profit from 70% of energy sales was able to get away with things, so much as it was odd that a single company was allowed to have so much power. Such a company arguably wouldn’t be answerable to anyone outside of it; hard to say I guess, as no such company has yet existed.

I liked the ambiguity with the computer’s motives, and whether it even had motives. It was clearly in part an homage to 2001, but also a parallel comment/question on the nature of machine servitude – the (manufactured) clones exist in a (tiny) bit of an ethical grey area, but really it’s pretty clear who the villains and heroes were.

But then what about a computer that shows emotion, noble sacrifice, etc? It’s manufactured by the same corporation, what’s the difference? At what point does the machine warrant the same ethical treatment we expect for Sam X? A bit of a sci-fi cliche at this point, but I thought the movie handled it subtly enough it worked.

If you subscribe to an ethical theory, you could apply it to computers just as well as animals. In this case, Sam feels but the computer doesn’t, or at least the film never indicates as much despite going to great lengths to show us how each Sam experiences emotion.

I don’t think it’s so clear that the computer doesn’t feel in this movie; I thought it clearly did. And yes, you could readily extend what I said to animals.

Moon!

…oops, wrong thread.

-Tom

P.S. Love that image, jeansberg!

I agree about the ambiguity surrounding the computer. But, I really liked how the movie almost forced Sam to see motives in the computer, whether they were there or not. The isolation Sam was under meant there was no other real outlet. Raised some interesting ideas about how we anthropomorphize things.

bump

Man, I’ve probably had this DVD sitting around here for probably 6+ months and never got around to watching it until yesterday. Loved. It.

Original Sam: Didn’t read the thread until now and didn’t know about Jones’s comments on the movie, but even without them it always seemed pretty clear to me that the original Sam was on the moon at some point. The clones got his memories, not some artificially constructed ones, right? It seemed that the clones did remember actually traveling to the moon somehow, because they were never like “How the hell did I get up here, I never even stepped into a rocket!” As for the new clones remembering Gerty upon arrival - it’s plausible that the original Sam was in a training facility on earth to get prepared for his job. And that training facility had its own Gerty. So, even if they had just arrived on the moon, they would recognize the AI.

The clone’s intended degradation makes sense to me in that they determined that 3 years is as far as you can get without becoming crazy and unreliable. It’s likely that Sam spent 3 years on the moon–the clones seem to remember having a contract for a 3-year-job-- and returned to earth being physically healthy. To me the hallucinations* we get to see at the beginning aren’t necessarily related to the clone’s time being up and his decay kicking in - it’s the guy having been 3 years up there on his own and having gone slightly nuts.

*Him seeing his daughter is certainly one of the few elements of Moon that didn’t work for me.

Wouldn’t anyone ask how that company runs their moonbase? Few would - and they’d have to rely on their investigations on earth and whatever the company is telling them as they can’t simply travel to the moon on their own to verify anything. As for the rest: We consume cheap food, wear cheap clothes and buy other cheap products, many of which are being produced under awful conditions. Obviously, some people care about that, but many either ignore it, don’t want to know or are willing to accept that fact. According to the intro, earth went through some heavy energy crisis - I’d guess people don’t really care about how the He3 is being mined. It’s not until some very specific things happen or specific proof appears that something gets debated, e.g. Foxconn suicides.

I appreciated attention to detail. The base has that typical sterile ‘space station feel’ to it, but, at the same time, it had a a certain sense of history. See Gerty picture on the previous page - thought the coffee stains near the cup holder was one of several neat touches. I also loved how they threw little bits towards the audience to get you engaged. Small environmental cues like the “kick me” note. It’s just a little note, but it not only served as the script’s tool to show Sam’s thoughts/transformation (by him removing it) and isolation (because it was there in the first place) - it also makes you wonder about the story behind it. Which of the Sams put it there? Was it him pulling a prank because he was so lonely? Was it him expressing being pissed off at Gerty at some point?

The twist of there not being any of the obvious twists. I had seen the trailers, so I knew that there’d be a clone or doppelganger at some point. But the movie isn’t set up to make it a shocking DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN reveal anyway. The clues are pretty obvious. I watched it along with someone who had no idea what Moon would be about, and he immediately guessed there was something off the second Sam 2 woke up because he had no head injuries. It was already established at this point that mankind doesn’t have magic Star Trek technology to make wounds disappear (see Sam 1 getting his hand burned and treated), and he looked younger and fresher, too. That and: How would they retrieve him from the wreckage? It’s clear that Girty itself moves through a railsystem and can’t simply leave the base.

I also liked that it has been just 15 or so years since all this started. Many other movies probably would have gone for another ‘shock reveal’ here along the line of Sam 1 actually being the 100th iteration of Sam and the moon-Sams being the last human beings alive because Earth is actually being run by robot overlords now or something. Also, there not being any stand-off situation with the Eliza crew arriving and Sam having to fight his way out or something. Would have not been appropriate for the tone and the theme of the movie, and I’m glad they kept it consistent.

Enjoyed the interplay between the two Sams and how Rockwell played them. Usually, when a movie involves clones, twins or doppelgangers it’s always partially about a conflict induced by the point that they are completely identical (same interests/preferences, same knowledge, etc.) or completely different, i.e. one person being good/sane while the other person is pretty much the opposite of that. Sam 1 and Sam 2 were the same person, but set apart from 3 years of isolated work and the resulting effect on Sam 1.

I can see why some people do mind the final voice-over, but I thought it was ok.

Great post, JD.

Having not seen the trailer – I almost never see trailers to a movie – I really loved how the reveal had an almost dream-like quality to it. As you say, it wasn’t like a DUN DUN DUNNNN movie reveal. It was like a spell of confusion or a weird mental fugue that gels into a completely new reality.

It’s hard to describe, but knowing nothing about Moon really does lead to a unique mental state as you watch it. I wouldn’t have gotten that if I’d seen the trailer or been told that it was about clones.

-Tom

I actually couldn’t figure out for a few seconds whether he was hallucinating or having an out-of-body experience for that very reason.

I thought I was going bonkers for a while, myself. Later, when it dawned on me what was happening, I had this great afterglow of love for that bonkers feeling. A brave move on the part of the screenwriter.

I don’t know why anyone watches trailers! But then, I’m like “LA LA LA LA LA” anytime someone even starts to tell me who’s in the cast. Pretty much makes me seem like an asshat to anyone with one foot grounded in real life.

Hey everyone, odd request here: I’m home sick today and taking the opportunity to go through my DVR backlog and finally got around to watching Moon this morning. Only problem is, the recording cut out at just about the end of the movie. I saw Sam get into the ejection pod, then get out at the last moment to change the path of one of the collection units, then hop back in and blast off just as the rescue crew arrived, then out. Wondering if anyone can tell me if I might have missed anything after that, maybe spoiler tag for me any bits that came after?

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but as far as I remember, you didn’t really miss anything. Below is the wikipedia summary of the last shot, and that’s basically the same as I remember.

From wikipedia summary

As the credits roll, the helium transport is depicted entering Earth’s upper atmosphere. News reports describe how Sam’s testimony on Lunar Industries’ activities has stirred up an enormous controversy, and the company’s unethical practices cause a significant dip in stock value.

It’s pretty brief though, and (IIRC) delivered largely via audio-montage.

Arise!

–>If you haven’t seen this film, avoid this thread, full of untagged pre-Discourse spoilers<-- That said, I did put spoiler tags here.

Just watched this for the first time last night. I’d been curious about it for a long time but never bothered to seek it out until now. Best yet, I had managed (for years, literally) to avoid spoilers – even the clone angle!

I’ve been playing No Man’s Sky for the past week, which very much resonates with loneliness in space and in a hostile environment. Then I woke up last night at 3am and couldn’t sleep, and found this gathering dust on my Netflix wishlist. Excellent timing.

After I finished, I spent an hour or so reading through this thread, which has excellent discussion, to which I can add very little. I tend not to focus on plot or logic holes in any story (particularly sf) and try instead to focus on theme. So the very valid issues pointed out in this thread don’t bother me as much as others.

Totally random thoughts, some of which have obviously been mentioned by others:

• I was blown away by Rockwell (not really familiar with his other work).
  • There’s a moment fairly early on where Sam is listening to classic music, and the interior shot is preceded by a space shot that is clearly an homage to Kubrick. Prior to that shot, Gerdy bothered me as too reminiscent of HAL. I took that 2001 nod as Jones’ way of tipping his hat and acknowledging that the similarities are quite intentional.
  • And that leads to the great twist of Gerdy turning out to be helpful -- that saved the film for me in the sense of had Gerdy ended as an antagonist I would have found Moon predictable and cliched.
  • I hated the audio montage at the very end. I felt it was a cop-out of sorts, at odds with the exploration of our inner humanity, making it more about big bad corporation..
  • Who is that actress who plays the wife? Oh my gawd. I have to check out her IMDB.
  • That said, her hotness took me out of the film and felt very Hollywood. I wish they’d cast differently.
  • When the “rescue” party is announced, we see photos of that crew and they look like central casting thugs. It struck me as a heavy handed way of signalling these are bad guys that wasn’t needed.
  • Awesome soundtrack; hope I can find the album is on Spotify.
  • The discussion in this thread is awesome, and is yet another example of why it is great to support Qt3 as a patron!

There’s discussion upthread of a sequel that I take it ended up as a Netflix original. Any good?

I haven’t seen Moon since it was in the theater, but based on rereading this necroed thread, I should see it again. Thanks for bringing it up, Tyler.

I haven’t seen all of Rockwell’s work, but he does a great job combining a wounded vulnerability you can’t help but empathize with and a manic, live-wire quality that you can’t help but keep an eye on because, hey, that guy’s funny but I think he might hurt someone! Here are some of his roles that I thought were really terrific:

• Galaxy Quest – he played Guy, the unnamed cast member that was sure he was going to die
  • Confessions of a Dangerous Mind – he played Chuck Barris, the game show host that was also an international assassin. (But not really.) (But maybe he was?) (No, that would be stupid.)
  • The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy movie – he played Zaphod Beeblebrox, the moronic charmer who would be more suited to the life of a rock star than President of the Galaxy, but there he is: two heads, three arms, fugitive, and President.
    I should see some of his other stuff. It’s always a joy to see him pop up in a movie, even if he isn’t the main character.

Someone mentioned in this thread that Duncan Jones’ newest movie “Mute” was set in the same universe as “Moon”, and in fact Sam Rockwell was supposed to make a cameo. I haven’t seen Mute, or really, heard any positive things about it. Would anyone recommend seeing Mute, especially if it’s somehow connected to Moon?

Nope. Nope. Nooooooooope.

Nah. The Moon connection is basically a background joke in Mute.

Rockwell’s great in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Won an Oscar. First saw him in Moonlight Mile, then again as Wild Bill in The Green Mile.

Yes. Very good in that. He has always been one of those character actors repeatedly putting out performances worthy of mention, but never gotten any real attention for it. The 3 Billboards nod was for his excellent performance, but also a bit of “this guy is due” kind of thing.

Really enjoyed your post and agreed with most of it.

I enjoyed Rockwell’s performance in Moon too. Other posters mentioned additional good movies. I also liked him in Adventureland.

Moon arise daydream again.

I posted a picture in a dumb FB challenge to post movie pictures. This was what I posted:

An old FB friend of mine said, “If you really want to geek out…” and posted this:

It is excellent.

1. There is a picture of a butt. So NSFW.
  2. Spoilers spoilers spoilers.

Anyway, I love this piece. It reminds me of something that @Gordon_Cameron would write on his Picture’s Up blog.

-xtien

“I can only account for what occurs on the base.”