Moonglow Bay - a Fishing RPG w/visually stunning voxels.

The fact that the game wants to tell its own story, rather than let the player run free, is evident from the beginning.

Also, strangely, that review doesn’t mention the fishing but by a passing remark.
So it’s a fishing RPG, without much fishing, but many dialogues? I’ll pass.

Woooo, really? I checked this morning and it wasn’t even listed in the ‘coming soon’ section!

Couple of issues I immediately had.

Firstly there’s really nasty screen tearing for me, which doesn’t go away in any of the screen modes. Using a Gsync screen, but it’s like vsync is being forced off even though it’s enabled in my driver. Even using a third party tool to lock frame-rate to 60 doesn’t fix it.

Second there’s a really bad diagonal ‘banding’ effect on the art, that seems to scroll at various speeds as the view moves. I don’t see this on any screenshots so not sure what’s going on there.

Good point. Once again I’m going in all guns blazing, as I always do. I’m expecting this to be a pretty freeform game with a story you can dip in and out of; if it’s the opposite I have no interest. I’ll do what I hardly ever do and wait to see some reviews on Youtube.

Yikes, the Steam forum is full of people complaining about the controls in general, controllers randomly not working, CTDs, the save system possibly not working, and various other issues. I’m glad I waited this time. I’m still keeping an eye on it but I’m in no hurry to buy it any more.

Also the developer is nowhere to be seen which always pisses me off.

I love seafood, yummmmmm.

Controller seems all over the place. It doesn’t have full support, mainly you need keyboard to enter your name at the start. Some controls seem to work in one place, but don’t in another, for example on some screens you can only navigate menus with the stick, on others only the d-pad.

I thought save wasn’t working on controller at first either, but turns out for some reason you have to press Y rather than A to choose a save slot. It’s a bit of a mess.

Ultimately though the screen tearing makes it unplayable for me.

No screen tearing for me on PC, but by god are the keyboard controls bad.

It took me like 3 minutes to figure out how to save my game.

Yeah, I played a half-hour last night on Xbox, and was definitely noticing some weirdness. Interface elements off the screen. Randomly needing to use Y to confirm save games. Some tiny fonts in some text fields. Visual hitching and shimmering. Think I’ll let this one cook a bit longer before I try it again.

There are also people complaining about various issues in the discord, and again, no sign of any devs on hand to help.

Developer’s office right now:

NiJ9

I just find it odd that a console release could still have obvious control scheme bugs.

Yeah I’ve got the screen tearing issue and the controller inconsistency. Killer for me is there’s no option to speed up dialogs and they’re slow. Also I went down a tiny ledge and can’t get back up and now am stuck on the beach. There’s no autosave and no way to get unstuck so the only way out is to reload from however long ago it was that I saved. Hard to believe this was play tested. Uninstall

Yep, putting this aside and hope it improves in 3 months with a plan to revisit.

Maybe, by then, somebody will have actually experienced how the fishing works in this game and will tell other fishing addicts wether it is worth worrying about this game!

I played that bit like two or three times before uninstalling. So obviously I am an expert. :)

It’s pretty similar to how Ubisoft (and probably many other) fishings work these days, though maybe simplified a bit. Basically you change direction to counter the fish movement.

I think the fishing in the newer Assassin’s Creed is more involved, since you also have to spot and cast near actual simulated fish in the world, and worry about line tension… ;)

Maybe Moonglow has that too and evolves as you play, I guess I’ll never know unless technical improvements are made quickly enough.

Looks like I really dodged a bullet this time! For once in my life…

Fishing in Valhalla is alright, but RDR2 is still my favorite go to fishing game of the last few years.

Ah yeah that is a good one!

Oh thank you. Sounds a bit too simple for my taste. I love the tension of reeling and moving the rod and… oh my, what am I typing.