Moonglow Bay - a Fishing RPG w/visually stunning voxels.

Yeah, basically you reel while adjusting the rod angle to counter the fish’s movement, and you can jerk the rod to pull it in closer. The line can break if tension gets too high, and there are a few varieties of rod, lure, and bait.

I played up through the first boss, but it’s a buggy and unpolished mess, and I am going to shelve it at least for now.

I’ve gotten myself or the net stuck on bits of the terrain, had my dog go invisible, had to reload and reset the boss because the prompt was triggering an instant line break every time. The last straw was just now — I bought a lobster trap. This instantly triggered a tutorial, but at the end of it I was stuck on the boat and unable to interact with anything. It had been a while since I saved, so I tried saving in a new slot and reloading it, but now my daughter is hovering over the ocean in the spot where the tutorial was, and I have no idea if this will wind up breaking anything further down the road.

Besides that, the interface is full of needless frictions. Stocking the vending machine takes way longer than it should because you have to select each slot individually, and then page over through all the raw fish to get to the cooked meals every single time. There’s no indication of which NPCs have new dialogue. People ask for specific dishes, but they aren’t tracked in your journal. Other delivery quests are tracked, but when you talk to the recipient they say “oh great you got my request!”, and then it pops up your entire inventory without highlighting whatever they want, so you wind up exiting out of the conversation to check the journal first.

Glad I popped in here - played a whole bunch last night and it’s quaint and endearing but reading here made me remember it was full of weird jankiness.

• keyboard and mouse is so awkward that I actually prefer it on controller.
  • some folks have requests and will notice when you have the item in your inventory (and you still have to remember the item because the select screen shows everything as noted above). Others won’t even detect that you have it -“sorry for not bringing the Steamed Fish” even though I had a whole bunch in my inventory. Turns out you have to use the gift action and give it to them that way.
  • the pronoun selection is kinda cute except that it seems to be randomly broken - my partner has been called he, she and them throughout…
  • the map has helpful icons for quest objectives, except they’re all just labelled “Objective” and not everything is tracked there.

Beat the first boss - awkward because I so rarely use controllers I had no idea which buttons are XYAB for the quick time events that they added for this. And of course when there’s time pressure they don’t do the helpful diamond layout. Then there was this circle prompt that I’d never seen before that I had not idea how to deal with. Turns out the circle prompt has a small arrow so it’s actually the prompt to push the left joystick in that direction and it combos with a button push. On the upside there’s very little penalty for messing it up - you can just retry.

After the boss it looks like they’ve unlocked the 3 fishing rod types but I think I might be done with this - it was cute to play with for a bit. On the upside I can just leave it in xcloud…

Saw notes posted on Steam:

v 1.0.2
Patch notes

• The game will now auto-save when the player sleeps
  • Improved keyboard controls
  • ‘Help! I’m Stuck’ has been added to the pause menu, which sends the player to a safe area if stuck in the environment.
  • V-Sync added to the options menu
  • Save/Load button prompts no longer spillover the borders of the screen
  • Boat repair items sold in the Boat Shop are now locked until the boat is unlocked
  • Player’s extra vending machine, which becomes available later in the game, is now fully visible
  • Quick time events during the Ruin of Ships’ encounter no longer fail instantly
  • All active controllers are now assigned to Player 1 until co-op is activated
  • Co-op can now be played with one keyboard and one controller
  • Co-op now only starts by selecting it through the pause menu and pressing the requested key/button. The controller that presses it becomes Player 2
  • Ramp added to the small beach behind the player’s home
  • Door will now open before River walks through it during her first cutscene
  • Cozy Cavern recovered its ramps
  • Chipmunk now plays its animations
  • Other minor issues addressed

Spoilers:

• Chapter 5: Final transmitter can only be placed once its quest is active
  • Chapter 2: The Storm Fish only visible when its quest is active

Those look like they cover the most common complaints about the game, including mine. I’m probably not gonna reinstall though.

1.3 patch!

I was surprised to see this on some game of the year lists. I saw the initial negative impressions here and wrote it off.

The release state was almost unplayable due to horrible keyboard controls, with the key rebinding in this new patch, I hope to find time to revisit.