Moonlighter - Shopkeeper by day, Adventurer by night.

http://moonlighterthegame.com/

Saw this over at RPS, mentioned in our very own indie games worth knowing about thread , and apparently its pretty darn good a few hours in according to the RPS reviewer.

Anyone pick it up?

No mouse support at all and reportedly terrible keyboard controls are keeping me away so far.

Well that explains why all the screenshots I’ve seen show controller prompts.

Man this bad boy looks awesome. It’s interesting how item curses affect how you store items, not just stats and stuff. Looks very much inspired by Recettear, 60% Dungeon Crawler, 40% shop sim.

Maybe I should’ve picked this over Cultist. Hm.

I did, but I haven’t played much… yet. First impressions are definitely positive, but I doubt it will take the place of Recettear in my heart. We’ll see.

What timing! Today’s update starts to address this concern!

It’s ok so far on the PS4. Hasn’t really grabbed me yet full-on but I’ll give it a chance.

I don’t understand how you can release a PC game with no mouse support, and I played Recettear almost exclusively with a controller, almost.

I had a brief, but intense, time of playing that one, years ago. Never finished, but thoroughly was charmed by my time.

I’m interested in this, but in waiting for the release on the switch.

A similar game, which i enjoyed, was some game called “songbringer”, which was essentially a Zelda like game, with randomly generated maps.

1.7 update, and roadmap!

Did they get this out on the Switch yet? Seems like an ideal game for that platform.

Nope, no date yet either.

Headliner for the next humble monthly.

@rhamorim , @rowe33 - Did you guys enjoy playing more of this?

I don’t think I’d consider it as a headliner by any means, but it was fun and I mean to go back and play more at some point. Other games keep getting in the way though…

It was… ok, I guess? Not much in the way of variety, but it was alright.

Now, there’s been a major update I haven’t tried yet, mostly focused on making things more varied, so it’s entirely possible it’s a better game now than when I played. I plan on going back to it eventually, but I’m distracted by shinier things right now. ;)

It’s definitely a labour of love, especially in the pixel art department, but the game itself is kind of average.

The combat and dungeoneering are a bit clunky and the game really doesn’t do that much with the shopkeeping aspect, which should really be the highlight. It’s still a nice time, though.

It’s really very similar to Recettear.

I think Recettear is better by far in every aspect but pixel art and (arguably) the combat itself. I loved that game.

Yeah, I think so too? I dunno, I’m not sure, it’s really been a while since I played Recettear.

Anyway, I found this:

OMG, thank you for posting this!

I tried Moonlighter last night and was instantly turned off by the lack of mouse controls and the obtuse key layout and mapping tools. It’s like the game was designed by people who had never played a PC game before in their lives. Even after attempting to remap some keys, I was killed instantly by the first creature I met (who cannot be avoided as he sits on a narrow stone bridge) because no matter what keys I pressed, I COULD NOT ATTACK! So frustrating.

The Steam Community post you linked has a sample mapping layout that looks workable and includes left and right mouse buttons, which I didn’t even realize were able to be mapped now in the game. I’ll have to give it another go tonight.