Most annoying commercials (or ads) of yester-year

I thought about making this thread as I poured ketchup on my hamburger today. It brought back some major PTSD I had as a kid… the Heinz ketchup commercials.

The commercial you see below was played so much it almost made a legion of children hate ketchup. For a kid just wanting to get back to his Scooby Doo cartoons and Gilligan’s Island, it was the ultimate pain. I wanted to kick the marketing guy… who I’m sure was so proud of himself for linking this song to watching a spleen ooze out of its bottle. Each time it started I’d plug my ears and shut my eyes to try to get this ad from taking over my brain like a zombie cricket fungus. Making matters worse, I looked identical to the kid in this commercial.

Tab was the toilet water of the soda world. That stuff was horrid.

Was?

As a Chinese person whose dad owned a laundry and dry cleaner (and to make thing complete, my wife’s family ran a Chinese restaurant), the Calgon commercial was really annoying. What self-respecting laundry business would operate with a low capacity top load household washer?

Old Navy commercials in the 1990s were so soul-scarring I have never set foot in an Old Navy and never will. And no, I am not going to subject myself to them to come up with a Youtube example.

BTW I like TAB. Fight me. I like Fresca too.

Yep, and yep.
The only two diet sodas I drink and enjoy, albeit not very often as I remain hopelessly devoted to Classic Coke (although they dropped the ‘Classic’ name a while back. Now it just says “Original Taste”.)

And yes (to whoever doubts it), Tab is still available. I buy a 12-pack of cans every few months. Sometimes I get a craving for it. Goes great with pizza.

Fresca is the bomb! Though I don’t drink it much anymore since I switched to sparkling water to get my fizzy-drink fix without the sugar or sugar substitute.

Back in college I had a Fresca sitting on my desk and the professor thought it was a beer and wandered over to check it to make sure I wasn’t boozing it up during Brit Hist.

The Head-On ads are textbook “be intentionally annoying and people will remember”.

https://www.matchadesign.com/news/blog/how-effective-annoying-advertising/

the parent company who permanently etched the expression “HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead” into our brains saw its sales shoot up 234% following the debut of its repetitive ad campaign