Motherf#@€ing company of heroes 2

:( :(

:| :*(

Stop lollygagging!

I’ll be grabbing it, along with my co-op buddy on day one. More options for COH2 games are always a win for me.

To celebrate this remarkable milestone in COH2 history, I purchased DoW: Soulstorm on Steam for $3.74.

The Emperor Abides.

So has this game been fixed up? I loved the original CoH, but IIRC when this came out, the general sense was that it was as many steps back as steps forward.

So they’re adding the British to a game that’s not even as good as the previous game, which already has the British in it?

-Tom

I pre ordered this game and paid for it when it was released but never got around to playing it.

I played it when it was free for a weekend, but I just didn’t see any reason to be playing it over the first one, which I already own. Didn’t pick it up on sale for that reason, haven’t regretted the decision.

Warning: The game contains unskippable in-engine cutscenes. You can skip the movie style ones. But in in-engine ones caused me to rage quit by mission 3 because I simply didn’t care and I just wanted to command little troops towards the arrows, rather then be painstakingly told where those arrows are. They might not have the same affect on you.

(I think COH1 also had these? But I managed to play all of that).

Egads. Unskippable cutscenes induce apocalyptic nerdrage in me, now I’m doubly glad I didn’t buy it!

It might not seem like much to some other people, but from 1:50 to 2:48 in this youtube video I’d basically be sat there mashing every key on the keyboard in a furious attempt to make whatever is happening on screen PLEASE GO AWAY so I can START PLAYING NOW PLEASE. You can skip the “story” before this in-engine cutscene and also skip the mission briefing cutscene afterwards, and I did.

But for 58 seconds there’s nothing you can do other than watch computer army men move about, which is frustrating to me, as MY GOAL AS THE PLAYER IS TO DO THAT, PLEASE LET ME DO IT INSTEAD OF YOU. So I stopped playing. I remember COH1 has 10 seconds or so of saving privater ryan-esque combat shorts. Those were small enough not to annoy me.

edit: ps, some in-engine cutscenes also happen mid way through the missions. Once again, it’s only like 20 seconds, but NMRRRRRRRRRRRRRGhj

I’ve spent a lot of time playing multiplayer with friends. Most of the time, it is comp stomp, every so often we will play vs each other. Naturally, the latter games are more interesting, but potentially more rage inducing for various reasons. The game has an AI which is not enjoyable to play against. I’ll go further to say it is a pain in the arse with its omniscience on hard and above. Normal is actually too easy with co-ordinated friends. The AI will spend much of the game sniping capture points that are left unguarded to cut off supply. It just knows that the moment we move someone away to deal with a threat elsewhere, it will move in a unit to cap. Its tanks don’t play the same rules because they always have full vision, and thus their tanks/AT guns get max gun range. The moment a grenade is thrown, the AI will respond immediately. I think the comp stomps were more a way for myself and my friends to unwind in general as opposed to playing an interesting game against the AI.

Other parts of CoH 2 that bug me include the drop system at the end of a game. Relic/Sega have set it up so that a person can either purchase commanders and skins, or earn them via random drops. Welcome to 2015, whatever, I won’t complain about that particular system, though I think it is pretty shitty to have to unlock content by either of those methods, particularly when they are in the game and just unavailable. But to really aggravate that system, the drop system is randomised and therefore a person can earn duplicate commanders, skins, bulletins. And what is the damn point of duplicates? Deletion. They can not be traded to friends. One friend of mine managed to get the same Rare US commander twice, and knowing how much I enjoy playing US in this game with its excellent infantry, he is unable to send me the Commander.

Blizzards in the game generally suck. It is like someone decided to pause the game for a few minutes and prolong its length. Might be fine for solo play, but offer nothing in multiplayer. There are other bullshit things that happen, like full squad wipes from grenades, the ease at which planes crash and ruin a person’s game, the need to micro AT guns and MG’s to protect against sort of flank maneuver, particularly on the open maps that this game has; the soliders just sit there and take the damage.

If you enjoy CoH 1, and if this game sits in the $5 - $10 bracket, it is ok, and only ok. Doesn’t really feel like they made any good improvements over CoH 1, I consider it a step back from what Relic did with both CoH and Dawn of War. I have nothing to say about CoH online, or whatever it was because I ignored it. The game is always fairly demanding of my computer, about the only one I’ve had that suggests I change the colour scheme away from Aero on Win 7 to get better performance, and the video card does work pretty hard (GTX 780).

Thanks for the writeup Strato.

I do seem to recall the last time I played CoH1 the AI just built Lynx scout cars over and over. It’s disappointing they don’t seem interested in improving their AI.

Well at least the AI wasn’t roo rushing with piats.

I also have major performance problems when playing this game, for some reason. I can play COH on max fine, but not this game at minimum (GTX 760). Infact changing the graphics options doesn’t really change my FPS all that much (even going from 1440p to 1080p to 720p). Whilst it can hit 60, it still averages 30 and sometimes plummets to about 5 for some reason during the game, all whilst on the lowest settings and therefore looking like a blurfest from 1995. I suspect my CPU (Q9550) and therefore FSB/RAM speed is underpowered for whatever it is the game needs it for (LOS calculations with true-sight?).

A quick google for “company of heroes 2 performance” shows the steam and relic forums are still alive with people whining about poor performance, so it doesn’t look like something that was ever “fixed”.

So if you’ve got a shitty CPU like me, be warned!

Any thoughts on the new army / recent patches? I own all the coh2 stuff, but haven’t played since it was in beta. Itching for some RTS, and coh1 has finally fallen from the steam top 100.

Not really any thoughts on Britain. I enjoy playing them, though part of that is working out ways to play them effectively, especially when they are very much a defensive style nation with their emplacements. It would be nice if Relic included a way of removing units that are no longer required, besides suiciding to the front lines. And of course, with Britain and their various fortifications that cost population, being able to dismantle/destroy them easily to free up space for something else when they are no longer needed.

I haven’t played in over 6 months, but I do still watch videos of people playing on youtube. :)

Check out this epic 2v2 , the last 10 minutes of tank warfare is amazing.

Epic thread necro!

Anyone know what the big update for this on Steam was about today? The “News” page doesn’t say anything about it.