Motherf#@€ing company of heroes 2

GAF was today offline all day, it just went back up right now… and the first post I see was CoH2!!

edit: I was about to make some pun with “motherfucking” and “mother Russia” in the title, as it seems appropriate given the cover.
Any ideas?

• 2013 release
  • Main campaign is Eastern front, playing as Russians
  • Lots of snow. Snow slows down troops and tanks, but can also form cover.
  • Units can vault over cover such as low walls.

-True line of sight (you only see what your soldiers see).

-They comment being more continuist than changing up the original formula of what it is CoH a lot. They especifically mention DoW2 as what they are not doing (in respect of the change from DoW1 to 2).

It seems to me the biggest change then will be the mentioned new FoW system.

Oh sweet, is like Space Marine? One Nazi superman versus a thousand Russians?

Dear Relic:

1. Please don’t fuck this up.
  2. Please don’t fuck this up with the world’s stupidest, most moronic, retarded, dipship-driven patching/DRM scheme EVAR.

Yours,

The Interwebs Are For Cats

What you are doing.
I see it.
Stop.
¬¬

Funny, I just got into playing the first one and I am completely addicted to it. Company of Heroes is an awesome game.

(;_;)

CoH is so awesome that its sheer aura made me play through and enjoy a campaign from Relic’s earlier RTS, Dawn of War. This despite being no big fan of either RTSs or Warhammer in particular.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

• Jon

Edited in the OP:

-True line of sight (you only see what your soldiers see).

-They comment being more continuist than changing up the original formula of what it is CoH a lot. They especifically mention DoW2 as what they are not doing (in respect of the change from DoW1 to 2).

It seems to me the biggest change then will be the mentioned new FoW system.

Very glad to hear this. DoW2 is good for what it is, but that’s not the style of gameplay I want from CoH2.

• Jon

Oohh, I still have yet to play the first one, but this sounds exciting!

Rumor has it the only change to the incremental patching system will be that, for security reasons, you will be required to take a picture of the UPC code on the bottom of the box or the license page on your digital distribution site and submit that to the Relic website for verification prior to the download being initiated.

DRM will consist of a phone-home to an open server in Russia with only a small shepard boy wielding a stick for intrusion protection.

And yet I will still play.

No game announcement could please me more.

edit: Oh, and this time buy the game on Steam. There was one time that they had to roll back a Steam patch just after deployment and it caused Steam owners to be unable to play online for a day. Otherwise, all you have to do is click “install” and it gives you the latest, up-to-date version. Hell, rebuy the first one on Steam. The time and frustration saved with a single install would be worth the cost.

Dude, CoH is the RTS for grogs. It’s awesome and well worth your time.

You can’t tell, but I’m doing the Snoopy dance right now. I know Relic have been hinting at this for a few months, but until they went official it could always get canned (especially given the THQ situation). And it’s a real relief to hear that they’re not planning on changing things too much - I’d hate them to turn it into DoW 2 for WW2.

…and I hope in the credits of this game we will see a Hiigarian corvette flying on the background. Bring back Homeworld 3 after this!

Clearly good news overall, but untimely passing of developer Brian Wood (RIP) aside, much of the original COH team left Relic to start one new company or another, did they not…?

The lead designer is at least still the same.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/quinn-duffy/22/116/953

This just made my month.

I use to play CoH with friends, It was a very good game, the game was balanced so players where forced to rush for victory, but not too much. Turtling was a really bad idea, and the AI was good at creating killzones. Plus the effects where fantastic, and the use of destroyed ground/buildings as temporary defences is the best ever done by a videogame.

So… the game was perfect, with no room for improvements. I can’t see how a new game can add to the formula. Plus we have this russian games, the Men of War serie, that push realism and simulation even further. I don’t know what theres left to do, other than deeper craters, maybe the ability to dig defenses?