Motherf#@€ing company of heroes 2

I wonder why they never added the Japanese.

Not in that tournament, no.

That’s too bad. It seems like the different nations are pretty well balanced. Not sure why you need to limit it.

Would you want hold to that rule as well?

I am watching the tournament. Doesn’t look like any high end UKF play. There are some Reddit posts about it, but one argument is that UKF only got recently balanced to be any good, so people just don’t have much experience with it on the high end.

The other argument is that static emplacements suck.

Still, I like them.

I think all I’ve seen is USF, Sovs, OKW, and Wehrmact.

Time to break the meta!

This is particularly true in 1v1, but less so in larger team games. Static emplacements are colossally vulnerable to artillery of all types (even with the Bolster ability available), and at high levels of play they are of limited use for temporary area denial.

Most players would rather dump those resources into something with any measure of mobility in a 1v1. The most I recall seeing in a moderately high level game was a single UKF mortar emplacement, but nowadays most players who want indirect fire are just going to take Lend Lease or Royal Artillery (or just use the 25 pounders at the HQ).

The tournament showed very little mortar play or mobile artillery units, so, I guess not using the mortar pit wouldn’t be the biggest issue.

I guess the bigger issue might be the forward base or the other emplacements.

But, it got a pretty nice discount on the price and you get 1/4 of its cost back if you dismantle it.

Mortars fall under part of the core early game rock-paper-scissors mechanic where basic rifle squads > mortar teams > machine gun teams > basic rifle squads (in the soft counter sense, not as hard counters). When rifle squads are so heavily used in most of the first minutes of the match, occasionally supported by an MG team, a mortar pick is usually asking to be punished. That said, MG spam is extremely difficult to deal with when a mortar isn’t available, and mortars also have utility against other teams with set-up times such as AT guns as well as against emplacements and garrisoned buildings of all kinds, so having the option of at least putting a mortar in the field is important to dissuade certain strategies.

The current meta just doesn’t revolve around the stuff that mortars are good at killing, for the most part.

Some nice games in the tournament. 1st game of the finals was amazing.

Thanks for posting those vids! I haven’t watched CoH in a long time, I didn’t know the competitive scene was still active. Way way back in the day, I used to be very active on gamereplays.org as both a VOD producer and shoutcaster with a few other people, but I haven’t really kept up with CoH2 in many years. I’m kinda shocked to see my VOD creation thread is still stickied in the CoH1 forums…

Has the game to some degree become more like CoH1? Maybe it’s just porting the maps from CoH1 over, but it looks more familiar now than it did when it came out.

I think it’s the balance changes that make the game play more like Company of Heroes.

Gah, this bump has inspired me to reinstall CoH2 and give Ardennes Assault another go. Do the balance changes affect that too or is it just MP?

https://www.coh2.org/topic/103497/coh2-winter-balance-mod-discussion

New patch coming up to buff the British. So, go British.

New medics at base, slightly better call ins, and the heaviest tanks take a little longer to come out

All those SMG buffs are absolutely delicious, as are the heavy tank availability nerfs, but the Soviet Airborne Guards commander is going to be OP as all hell if they don’t give it a couple love taps with the nerfhammer.

They might be, but I guess the argument is currently no one bothers using them.

So, anyone played with the game since the new update? Are UKF OP yet?

I started it for the first time last week. Think I’ve had it in my Steam catalogue for a while.

First think I notice is that there’s hardly any destruction and made me wish I was playing Men of War instead, then I got stuck looking at game values, so no idea if UKF are OP.

DId come across a video showing how to make super-powerful soviet recruits, but didn’t get that far.

Free this weekend on Steam along with Ardennes.

That is worth it to try it out. The community is constantly coming out with balance patches for MP games, but I haven’t really been following it.