Motorsport Manager

Just be really careful on those HQ upgrades, the cost/race adds up quickly, and you will be struggling to make ends meet. Especially after a season or two and you are bringing in better people. I was waiting until the end of the season, seeing how much money I had left after the best car and a few million for parts upgrades, and then deciding what to upgrade, but along with contracts I started losing money on races.

Best car, do you mean you go with like best chassis and stuff? I’d never done that before.

Yes, next year’s chassis. In my experience you want to select the highest amount you can so that next season you are starting with a strong base. I believe the game defaults to the medium amount.

This is on sale at the humble store for half off right now.

Link: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/motorsport-manager

Motorsport Manager is down to $8.74 on WinGameStore.

Above GingerYellow said you don’t need to be interested in autoracing and this still works as a strategy game. Also, do you need to know anything about cars?.

Nope. I don’t even own a car.

I should say, it works for a while as a strategy game (in the way that sports management games are strategy games), but even on PC it doesn’t have the depth or dynamism of an OOTP or FM. It gets pretty repetitive after a few seasons (not least because the step-up with each championship is brutal, so you have to spend quite a while in a championship you dominate to build up a cushion.

Thanks. I guess I’ll think about whether to get it on sale now or wait until I have less to play . grab it in a bundle. Sounds worth playing for a little while at least.

It’s a good game and i enjoyed my time with the open wheel stuff, (disclaimer: I’m a lifelong F1 fan). However, I’d stick to the open wheelers because one of the upgrades in the GT expansion is so fundamentally broken that I had to stop playing, as I could put my worst-in-class car on the podium every race.

Big update earlier this week. Makes me want to get back into it.

Realistic AI Game Preference: If enabled, AI teams make smarter decisions on when to pit during races and adapt to wet weather conditions more effectively.

Run Wides & Corner Cutting: Cars can now run wide and cut corners in all tracks, the liklihood of a driver running wide or cutting a corner is increased by the pressure they’re under from nearby cars.

Weight Stripping: Teams can now remove reliability from parts to increase their performance before practice, qualifying and race.

Lap Chart Screen: Availaible in the data centre, the new lap chart screen provides detailed information for every lap of the race.

Expanded Camera Preference: If enabled, increases the zoom of the raceday camera, allowing you to see the cars up close.

Ability to save and load setups for each track.

When leaving for a race weekend, the player now has the ability to force a driver to sit out the weekend if they are injured.

The driver who sits out the race weekend will recover faster and the reserve driver will take their position.

Injuries now show an icon on the driver’s portrait. The icon can be moused over to reveal more information.

Player now recieves a mail when a driver recovers from an injury trait.

The race report screen has been tweaked to better inform the player about gained traits and traits that have ended.

Various UI tweaks to the title screen and race day screens.

Session HUD now shows when teams are fixing parts.

Tyre wear and heating are no longer banded into thirds, but are instead a direct reading.

Car crashes have been rebalanced to provide a more even spread of crashes throughout the race.

Driver’s adaptability stat impacts the threshold at which they can change onto wets/slicks/inter.

The two different tyre suppliers have different wet/inter threshold points.
Fixed a bug where the tyre supplier wasn’t correctly affecting speed and wear.

Fixed a bug where the track rubber wasn’t correctly affecting the lap times.
Street circuits (Cape Town, Sydney) take longer to achieve a full ‘Rubber on Track’ to imply that they have less grip then a standard track.

Underfuelling the car is now possible when no-refuelling is active.

Tyres left overheating for too long cause blistering, dropping the wear at a faster rate.

Tyres left underheating for too long will cause graining, dropping the performance of the car.

Cars who have retired will now keep their standings position if they cross the finish line.

The standings tab has been expanded to show live Team/Driver Championship standings and tyre history.

New personality traits.

New dilemmas with unique personality trait event chains.

Fixed issues with AI teams being able to perform pitstops faster than they should.

AI teams now make smarter desicions on when to use ‘safe’ pitstops.

AI team setup percentages now reflect their mechanics’ stats.

Downforce setup setting affects car performance during wet sessions.

During pre-season, AI teams can gain an additional star in up to two different chassis stats. This is to mimic the player’s dilemmas.

Vehicles that are experiencing critical issues ( broken part, out of fuel, etc ) will now pit regardless of whether it causes stacking.

New radio messages.

Grammatical fixes to existing dilemmas.

Signifcant performance improvements to minimise game crashes.

Chassis Suppliers availaible to edit with Steam Workshop.

Single Seater and GT design data available to edit with Steam Workshop.

If I didn’t have such a backlog I’d probably jump back in for that, although I’m going to have to restart my current season as I’m in a bit of a death spiral.

I feel like I’m making decisions that I don’t really understand. The tutorial does a good job of pointing out how to do things in the UI, but not really good at explaining how the driver attributes are used. I still like ace day and watching my little guys drive around, but I don’t really feel like I’m making any informed decisions.

Other than the one used during practice (communication?), you don’t really have to make much in the way of meaningful decisions about driver attributes. Bigger is better, generally. There are handful of obvious exceptions — if a driver doesn’t like being out in front, maybe they should be the number 2. But generally your decisions are about race strategy, car improvements and HQ development timing.

There is actually quite a bit to some of those attributes in terms of performance and strategies. A driver with a high smoothness rating, will be easier on tires etc. I think they did a really good job with the granularity in this game, as everything you do actually does do something. What buildings you build first based on what your drivers need, all kinds of little details that are pretty engaging.

I just picked this up recently, and have been really enjoying it. I’m not usually one for management sims, or minutiae in games in general, but I have been having a blast with this.

I agree - there are some deeper things available if you go find them. I won my open wheel championship in a pretty bad car by combining a very smooth driver with an engineer that gave a bonus to tyre wear on a particular compound.

That combination allowed me to consistently run a softer compound than my competition, but still get the tyres to the same pit window and the extra speed from the grippier rubber covered for the car’s shortcomings.

It also allowed me to do things like pit super early and bring my driver out into a very long stretch of completely clear air. He could then turn consistent quick laps without being held up by anyone and by the time he was catching the pack and would have to rely on the car’s limited power to overtake, they were all ready to come in for their stops, allowing him to cruise by.

Outside of that you can stack your votes in the “GMA” rules commission by abstaining and then use them to ram through an issue that will explicitly help you. You can see the upcoming votes ahead of time, right from week one of the season and with certain team characteristics you can even put a specific issue up for vote yourself.

Its a good game but it is ruined for me because its the same drivers each time you start a game. Kind of means you dont get to enjoy the staffing sub game.

Thanks! Links dead sadly. Also not sure how to get mods to work with my mac version.

Well that’s annoying, sorry.

I have the file somewhere, as I’d used it myself, but it’d be the PC version.

No biggy. I might hit ya up at some point for it! Cheers! It really is a very fun game.

I currently have 2 19 year old drivers that finish 1 and 2 every race, I think I won? I love the game, but it gets pretty grindy pretty quickly.