Motorsport Manager

After a rough start I got my team into first place with 1 race left in the first season. I still can’t say I know what I’m doing, other than I look to see what car attributes are important in upcoming races and then adjust my car for it.

Edit: Maybe the season is easier because I had the tutorial enabled?

Is there some type of league progression, like should I be trying to work my way up to managing another league?

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t accept the promotion to the Asia Pacific Super Cup?

It’s generally a good idea to dominate your division for several seasons before promoting, to give time for your HQ and vehicle to upgrade a bit. If you go up as soon as you win, you’re going to really struggle for the first few seasons, which is no fun. One key point that you may not have grokked is that each year, the base chassis of your new car is based on the stats of the two highest performance parts in your old car, so generally you want to focus your upgrades on a handful of parts rather than spreading them out, unless you’re capped by your HQ.

OK. I didn’t start my first HQ upgrade until just after my first season ended, so maybe staying back would be a good idea. Is there any way to compare your car and staff to another league to see how far below the league average your team would be?

Don’t think so, though you can always save your game, get promoted, find out, and go back to your save. Generally, it’s safe to assume that unless you’re way ahead of the pack in your current league, you’ll be way behind in the league above. Even with three to four years of championships under my belt, I’m usually behind on everything but drivers when I get promoted.

I came in first place the last 3 or 4 races of the season, with my drivers taking position 1 and 2 for a couple of those. I wasn’t dominating the entire season.

Like I say, you want at least three years of winning basically every race.

Crikey. That’s hours of game time that won’t be much fun. What an odd design decision.

Yeah, it’s my least favourite thing about the design. I wouldn’t mind battling through the ranks in a new league if it wasn’t so hard to keep your head above the water financially (while not getting sacked). But it’s just not worth the trouble.

Does anyone get tooltips over driver stats? I get the improvement rate and what traits are effecting them, but no explanation of what the driver stats do. There are posts on Steam that say the driver stat tooltips have explanations, but I can’t get them. I do have tooltips turned on in the options.

This is my one complaint with the game, the progression isn’t very well thought or laid out, it becomes extremely grindy after your first season or so. The game mechanics themselves are really very good I think, I actually got into a few races at one point, when things were still close, where I had to really manage my fuel and engine settings to get past someone, and just barely eak out a win on the last lap, I wish there was more of that in the game. It seems like the lows are too low, and take too long to get by, and then that window where you are actually racing competitively is very short. It not long from place third, to winning every race by 20 seconds.

For me, it’s worth buying as it is, but it seems like a great mechanic setup without a real well balanced game behind it.

I just pulled the trigger on this. Have the developers (or mods) smoothed the difficulty curve a bit since release? Too hard in the early game and too easy later on doesn’t sound very positive. But hell I couldn’t resist the little cars zipping around the tracks.

I liked it a lot its great for a season or two. Unfortunately its replay value was just cut off at the knee caps by the lack of randomised drivers for me. Playing with exactly the same few drivers available to hire ruined it for me. Maybe they patched this in? I hope so.

I know there is a mod that randomizes drivers up this thread. Good thing someone made it.

I used to use a mod that had all sorts of historical drivers. Was really cool.

I haven’t played for 6 months or so, so it may have been changed. It used to be sort of…point A and point B. Point A: You will never win a race, Point B: You will never lose a race. There is a very small window between those two states, where the outcome of a race is actually up for grabs.

The game is fantastic when you hit that sweet spot, where all of the choices you make during and before a race, actually contribute to your winning or losing. What tires, when to pit, when to push your engine, how far to push your engine. It was really really fun when you eaked out a win because you did everything right. Sadly, I think that probably accounts for maybe 5% of the game, the rest of it is just grinding.

Just restarted MM on the PC with the Fire Fantasy '19 mod. Running a GT team. The sweat spot, at last in this mod, seems to be a bit bigger so far. Plus you get to work with real life teams, cars, sponsors, etc.