Mount and Blade: Fiery Swordchucks!

Find a mercenary camp. There’s an option to do it there (I tried it, but it said my army didn’t qualify, so I don’t know what requirements you need to meet).

Also, I used a money cheat to buy a grenade, just because they’re so expensive and I was really curious to see what they did. Got the biggest one, threw it into a crowd, and there was a boom. Then me and my horse and my cav and everyone else in a thirty-foot radius took massive damage. I will stick to bows and rifles for now.

Demo
http://www.gamershell.com/news_116224.html

If anyone is interested in joining a clan to play F&S Warband in Captain mode, contact me at gcbisset at hotmail.com. Im in the Freikorps Regt of Horse in the Napoleonic Mod, and we are preparing to move into F&S as well. And of course we looking for Napy lancers, Dragoons, and Jaegers as well!

Thanks for that nakedly mercenary first post fella! Why not tell us what you like about F&S instead?

Also, dunno about anyone else but I’ve been planning for the traditional Qt3 clan, assuming enough other folks are up for MP.

And based on what I’ve heard, only certain soldier types (I think the ones you recruit from camps?) can be equipped. I’m also vaguely certain that there’s no longer village recruitment, but I read that in a forum post about the version released in Eastern Europe way back when, so who knows.

That would make sense, because when I got there I just had troops I’d hired from various cities. On the one hand it’s nice to have camps where you can just buy as many troops as you want of whatever type you want, but I’m going to miss popping into villages to grab some eager and free recruits.

Has anyone done any sieges in F&S yet? The ones in Warband became a real slog once the computer started having tons of top tier units. Just wondering if they made any changes.

Grenades sound like they would be awesome for Warband sieges :)

Grenades sound like the kind of things you’d want to toss from the walls onto the invaders down below :D

So did this one improve making your own kingdom any? I remember not caring about warband at all because kingdom management was infantile compared to some of the really impressive stuff people were doing with the original in mods such as sword of damocles (and others).

Just started playing. I’m not sure if I like the new setting.

Hopefully, it will grow on me as I get into it.

I am not sure I like the new setting either. The game feels like a mediocre M&B mod at this point. Also, I forgot how rough the M&B series is and how unforgiving at first.

Big hint: After creating your character and running him through the tutorial don’t forget to save right away. Nothing like getting jumped by 7 bandits 30 seconds after getting to the main map and getting one shotted(literally) at the start of the battle. I lost my horse and what little I had. Quitting without saving lost my character.

/nerdrage

Kind of my feelings thus far as well. I’m enjoying it, but it doesn’t seem worth $15 thus far compared to Warband mods.

The firearms are really deadly. Get hit once and you can kiss that battle goodbye.

I’m enjoying it but it seems to be causing my system some trouble (long load times mainly but it also seems to slow things down for a short while after exiting out of the game) and odd visual glitches (mostly with the mayors and such).

I like the new setting and equipment. Guns are great but with high damage firearms and very little armor I’m finding fighting difficult at best. It really looks like you’re going to have to get serious about trading to get a pile of cash before you can start fighting in earnest.

I’m not unhappy at getting it for $13 (especially since I never purchased Warband) but its a little bit disconcerting to find that I’m looking forwards to what the modding community can do with this.

Ok folks, so I’ve had a bit of time to play. Since it looks like you guys aren’t as experienced, here are some quick start tips:

1. Pick a faction you have no intention of joining (for me, the Cossacks)
  2. Go to their villages and hit the Take Hostile Action button
  3. Hit the Force Peasants to Give You Supplies button

This is a zero repercussion action (ok, it’ll hurt your relationship with the local lord and village, but won’t hurt your faction relation which means they won’t seek out and attack you, so fuck it) that will gain you between 2 and 6 trade good items. It is now day 8 and I have 72 troopers (the most I can have) and 5k thalers. I’m also well kitted with a Half Cuirass, a good carbine, a better horse, two heroes and a sweet sword and lance. This is basically the fastest way to progress in the M&B series, so I heartily recommend it unless you want to screw around doing lame ass quests for a couple bucks.

Game has been epic thus far. Trying to get good fights, but everything runs away because I’m too goddamn dangerous for em =*(

edit: Day 15, have looted multiple Cossack villages, done a little questing for the Ruskies, almost got murdered by entire Cossack army and had to divert them with 50 dudes while I ran like hell. Ended up sheltering in a castle while they sieged it, then fled again while they gangbanged a caravan!

Yay M&B!

Just hired a HILARIOUS excommunicated priest. I feel that we will be best friends.

edit2: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Sweden. Lifeguards are great accuracy muskets, and they have pikes. Also, they just fucking stand there and wait for you to charge. My cav got massacred as did my infantry when attempting to charge a Colonel’s unit. Ultra fail.

First impression is not good. Your character doesn’t have much durability, which will probably mean you won’t be able to get in to battle as much as you like. Especially when you can be one shot with a musket and from what I have seen the armour available won’t help much.

From reading the official forums it seems most of the features of warband have been removed, no player kingdoms, units don’t level up. All stuff I really like.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but are the army size mechanics different in Fire & Sword or am I just terrible at Warband?

In Warband it feels like a giant grind trying to get an army of a decent size. I’m level 13 (a few hundred days in, playing with @ normal difficulty) and my army size is just under 70.

Not liking it. Getting the same feeling as I had with firearms and Empire: Total War.

How do caravans work in this game?

I talk to the mayor, discuss trade, then tell him where I want to send a caravan. He says “ok, we’ll send one there”, then my guy just says “ok some other time then” and it puts me back into the town menu.

WTF?

They are different. I started with a 105 limit in F&S.

I think the trading stuff is bugged. When I assess local prices it tells me to buy stuff that isn’t in the city. Plus the caravan problems from above.