Mount & Blade: Bannerlord

Closed multiplayer beta underway. Plans to transition to open beta after it’s done. Still no firm date.

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/116

Finally a date. Too bad its early access.

Are there any singleplayer RPGs with comparable combat? The closest I’ve played are Gothic, Morrowind and The Witcher 2, but they are not at quite the same level as M&B.

As singleplayer RPGs go, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the most similar in combat, I’d say.

If I want to play a Mount and Blade game right now, which one should I play?

Warband

If you’ve played it before, you can install a total conversion. If it’s your first time, just play it as is.

Yes, definitely Warband.

Excellent thank you! I even have it already :)

Warband is my most played Steam game in terms of hours but I never came close to beating it. Something about all the balls you have to keep in the air (diplomacy among all the lords, inefficiencies that arise the bigger your army gets etc.) did me in. That and the fact that I never got very good at combat.

I played mount and blade back in early access for the first game, version 0.7.?? I think. Getting good at combat might be key to winning the whole thing, because you’re right about the rest of it; but if you can take out 60 dudes with arrows then charge in with almost full health and kill 40 or 50 more with sword and shield (you pick up the shield from a dead dude because you brought so many arrows) then you can win sieges against very tough odds. This makes holding and taking castles way easier and lets you actually end the game.

M&B does combat well, but it does mounted archery very well. You have to give it a try at some point. There’s a serious learning curve, but it is so very satisfying. No other game is close.

I hope the improve the campaign AI in this new version. My only gripe about warband was the fact that a faction really couldn’t win because of all the stupidity. Also those times the king would have you follow his knights to conquer some castle and then just stand there for 3 days and then disband and do nothing.

You just become the Marshall and do it all yourself. :D

Or become your own King and do it all yourself. You know, options exist.

But I would also like better campaign map AI, since right now it’s basically set dressing to randomly change things on you rather than a real fully living map most of the time.

I tried that a few times. Getting lords to join you (ones that didn’t completely suck) was nearly impossible.

Have you actually conquered a world in warbard? I gave up in frustration several times.

Thanks for this thread. Finally fired up Warband with the 1257 mod, enjoying it!

I agree. You have to boost your charisma to crazy high levels and even then you can’t get some people (there’s a type of lord who will never defect, “loyal” or something). CHA checks fail all the time and you have to wait like 3 in game days or something like that to try again. Meanwhile CHA comes at the expense of all of the fun stat upgrades that make the game more fun too.

I usually get about 80% of the way there (one or two almost dead factions remaining) and then I call it because it’s not fun after that (no way for the AI to pull out of that tailspin).

I’m about to play Mount & Blade for the first time. Should be playing native, Vikings, or Napooleonic Wars?

Warband!