Mouse Pad Recommendations

I used a RatzPad for a while, and it was great. However, I must have basement-dwelling morlock oily fingers, as I was able to wear the texture down fairly rapidly and it ended up being pretty smooth across large areas of it.

I now have an Allsop pad similar to the one Robert listed (mine is the ‘Redmond’ model I guess… think it was just picked up at Target/Walmart). It is much less resistant to my apparent finger grease, and the sticky backing holds the grip to my desk even better than the RatzPad did.

Looks like it is quite similar to the func brand, just a bit cheaper and easy to find at office supply stores.

After wearing out everything from Everglides to Ratpads, I picked up an Icemat that has proven immune to my mousing. It’s made from what appears to be frosted glass, but they’re hard to find these days.

Hmm. I didn’t realize that there was anything special about a mouse pad that would lead to a thread being created about it. I’ve had an Allsop one that I’ve had for years that has a rubber non-slip base (the thing doesn’t move!), but it’s not any of the ones currently listed on the Allsop website. To use ciparis’ line, it’s “proven immune to my mousing”.

Love my 1030.

I have something similar to this
http://www.handstands.com/retail/mouse-mat/leather-mouse-mat.php

only rectangular. I’ve had it for 7+ years and it’s still great.

Arise, thread!

At some point I rediscovered Counter-Strike after taking a decade off (much like this thread) and switched to a very low mouse sensitivity. (2.2 / 400dpi to be exact, initially on the same Logitech MX300 I played CS 1.6 with)

I finally required a huge mousepad. I remembered something like “Steel Pad” or “Ice Mat” getting rave reviews way back in Computer Games Magazine, so I wound up with the SteelSeries QcK Heavy XXL. It was roughly 4ft x 2ft and easily the best mouse pad I’ve ever used. It turns out you wear them out after about a year’s solid use, and neither my trusty old MX300 nor the newer Logitech sensors could navigate the worn out dead spots.

Flash forward to now, where I had formed a habit of replacing my giant, thick mouse pads annually… until they ran out. I’ve been trying other brands, but almost all of them seem to arrive with some dead spots, and the thinner material isn’t nearly as smooth & pleasant as the SteelSeries Heavy pads were. I haven’t found any SteelSeries mouse pads in stock since months before the pandemic, so I don’t think it’s because of that.

Does anyone have a go to brand for excellent large mouse pads? I don’t need it to be ultra wide. A typical large size would be fine, as long as it works well.

Well, I’ve been using one of these for about two years now and am still happy with it. However I’m not that critical and I don’t play competitive shooters, so not sure if they’d measure up to your expectations. It doesn’t appear to be in stock at amazon US, so not sure where else you could even source it from?

I’ve had two of these on two different desks since 2016 and it’s been great.

Actually to follow up on my last post, it seems that I actually hate mouse pads almost as much as I hate mice.

Mechanically they don’t have as many points of failure, but they are just as personal and subjective as they are extremely different.

I realized a while back that my GSRs were worn to hell and now I’m on pad 2 of 5 and still not satisfied.

I have 2 more arriving shortly to test. You can bet that I’ll buy extras once I find The One.

I’ve now tried about 7 different pads and have another on order that I’m waiting to arrive.

Annoying, but enlightening as far as figuring out what my preference is these days.

If anyone is actually interested in such nerdery I now feel slightly qualified to answer questions given the range of pads I’ve tried.

AMA or stuff.

My mouse pad from around 1995 (yes literally) is finally succumbing to time. Can anyone recommend a company that provides customizable mouse pads that are of a good quality?

If you mean custom image/size, then I haven’t gotten any myself. But currently the two I think a lot of people use would be these:

https://shop.x-raypad.com
They seem to have a lot of well regarded pads that people like, which you can customize.

Also comes up a bit for custom pads when I was digging through vendors.

What games you play will determine what kind of surface is optimum

Oops yeah, by customization I meant customizing the visuals/graphics on the mouse pad. Not a fan of giant unnecessary logos.

Can you expand on that? I didn’t realize that there were different surface types.

What do you play?

I don’t really focus on any specific genre. Some games I’ve been playing recently: hitman 3, apex legends, planetary annihilation titans, deep rock galactic, terraria, xcom 2, kerbal space program :D

some FPS players prefer frictionless and smooth as possible pads, sometimes adding feet/mouse skates to their mice for quicker movement. RTS and other precision control genres benefit from different kind of surface.

I use Artisan, they import from Japan so they’re obscenely over priced. Looks like Amazon has them available.

https://www.amazon.com/artisan-mouse-pad/s?k=artisan+mouse+pad

I only buy one about once every decade so I don’t mind too much.

They’re large, very well made, edge stitching is top notch and doesn’t rub your arm (I really hate that) and the surface is about as close to magic as I’ve found. I use the Zero soft XL and it works like a charm.

And if you are genuinely interested here’s a full explanation with info about all the variations they offer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i15mm--bSzw

And yeah you’ve just encountered a mousepad snob, bet you didn’t have that on your bingo card today. ;)

It’s still just polyester and doesn’t seem worth $65USD + s/h. Japan is tops for excessive fetishizing stuff.