Movies You Feel Horrible About Loving

I haven’t watched it for awhile but I just love that world … I don’t know why.

And yes, I have a soft spot for the Postman as well. Maybe I just have a man crush on Costner…

I agree, I don’t think ‘Waterworld’ is nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

No, but the subtext of my post is that part of the reason I like it is because, as my Aunt once put it: ‘skinheads look amazing. Shame about the politics though’.

I’m with you on the great casting and the seat-of-the-pants plotting, but I disagree with the bit above. I think the motivations behind Jigsaw (not the apprentices, though) are absolutely beautiful - he’s the one character in the entire franchise who gives a damn about other people, and he’s just insane enough to kill them to show how much he cares. Probably one of the best “realistic” examples of a god complex. And for the select few individuals that his plan works for, the ones who survive, it’s pretty damn effective.

The reason I feel bad about liking the movies, though, is that they’re such downers. The wrong people win.

there was a movie made from cornell woolrich’s dark novel “i married a dead man.” in it a down on her luck pregnant woman takes the place of a rich man’s fiancee after she survives a train wreck but they do not. in the movie they kept most of the important plot points but the whole thing has a romantic comedy feel and has a hollywooded ending that totally goes against the novel. despite all that woolrich’s writing showed the woman’s paranoia and suspense so effectively i watched and enjoyed the whole thing. i even looked up info on the movie and it was then i found out the source of the movie.

check out the before and after:

What a cast!

I’d be more enamored of Jigsaw if he was consistent. He tries to frame his tests as lessons in humanity or whatever, even going so far as to plot against his own assistants when they go off-track, but he routinely killed people that had nothing to do with the tests. Like the cops on the staircase in the second movie or the cops in the room in the latest one. I suppose you can chalk that up to his God complex (the ends justify the means) but that inconsistency just makes the whole exercise lose its meaning for me.

I know it all goes back to the multiple writers and directors trying to keep the whole creaky machine going, but it’s just too much for me to take it seriously. I’m not even going to get into all the coincidences and his apparent supernatural ability to guage how someone will perform (and for how long) in any given life-threatening situation.

The basic conceit is just crazy amounts of dumb for me.

But yeah, I’ll watch them any time I see them on. I’m compelled.

The “casual racism” in Blazing Saddles is pretty clearly done as a jab at actual racists. The plot of the movie (until it falls apart at the end) is that a racist idiot sends a black guy to be a sheriff because he thinks the townspeople will hate it. Said black guy saves the town and turns all the inbred hicks around.

Honestly the only one that comes to mind that really fits the topic has already been mentioned. Sin City is an incredible accomplishment in terms of bringing that art to the screen, but I’ll never damn well watch it again.

I will cast votes for all the Resident Evil movies as well. My wife and I will stop scanning and watch them every time they are on.

Others in this category:

Van Helsing
Underworld 2+

I detect a theme. I am more then willing to watch crap if it is cheesy apocalyptic horror crap.

Why would one feel horrible about liking Resident Evil for the reasons the OP is discussing? There’s nothing sexist about them. If anything, they are about an empowered woman. There’s nothing racist about them, AFAIK.

If I understand the topic correctly, it isn’t about guilty pleasures or movies you think are good but others hate. It’s about a movie that you like despite feeling that there is something wrong with liking it…like morally wrong.

Right. To borrow an example from another thread a while back, it’s for talking about how you love the cinematography in Triumph of the Will.

I, Robot

It’s much better if you realize it is primarily a black people movie. As in, it has one of the few black protagonists that does a good job of being both a character and black, while not being a black character.

That is correct (i.e. Straw Dogs and Dressed To Kill).

Also, Wheeljack, I might steal that line about Triumph Of The Will.

Sin City is a big one.

Irreversible I have only seen once. I agree it is a very compelling movie that I would recommend to really no one.

It’s not really mine. Original credit goes here.

Hey, fuck you, Pepsi Max is awesome.

Sorry, man. Guess I should have gone with Pepsi Clear.

It is my understanding that tripwires and foreleg hobbling haven’t been used in U.S. films for several decades. This is mentioned in “John Wayne’s America” by Gary Wills, but he doesn’t give a specific date. In context, it suggests this practice was banned by the mid-1970s.

I haven’t seen The Long Riders in nearly 15 years, so I could be wrong. I do recall some dangerous horse stunts like crashing them through shop windows. (The danger is not the sugar glass, but having to pull up a horse abruptly in the interior). Horses can be trained to fall and roll (without tripwires), which is still dangerous.

It was Crystal Pepsi, dude, not Pepsi Clear.

No, it was Crystal Gravy:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/crystal-gravy/1354914