Movies you loved as a kid, until you watched them again as an adult

I’m a big The Black Hole fan. I just can’t help myself.

Years ago, when seeing Deep Impact in a theater, there was a dramatic moment where I just couldn’t resist going MST3K with a “Maximillian…help me!” Quietly.

As far as I could tell, the second film was a complete reversion to the Adam West Batman. Not Batman himself, but the plot… which involves the Penguin sending penguins with bombs through a sewer at one point. It was a scene that would have fit right in with the 60’s TV show.

Burton loved the campy TV Batman, so this makes perfect sense.

Baby.

I adored it when it first came out. I tried rewatching it a few years ago with 20 years additional life experience… and couldn’t make it past the first half hour. It is terrible.

In my adult years, I’ve found that The Black Hole pairs well with half a bottle of Bacardi. Like TRON, it’s a bizarre mix of grade-A talent and grade-Z writing.

Flight of the Intruder.

No, not the Navigator, the Intruder.

What movie doesn’t go well with a bottle of rum? Maybe Requiem For a Dream but the rest…

Mallrats. I don’t know what we’re defining as a kid, but if highschool counts, that’s my vote. At one point I’d convinced myself it was my favorite movie.

Good ones.

OK good point z

The Empire Strikes Back

Not that it’s a bad movie, it’s just impossible to appreciate the subtleties of giant stompy robots like an eight year old can.

Actually the Black Hole originally was meant to be Disney’s answer to 2001, then when Star Wars took off they retooled it to be more like Star Wars (cute talking robots, more action). So you end up with his bizarre schizophrenic movie.

The end is fricking awesome though, in a completely fucked-up way. Still the ballsiest Disney ending ever.

Also I heard they’re remaking it, to be more like the original vision. And this time much more accurate to science.

I suppose I could say the same thing about Return of the Jedi, but I’ll always love Empire. It’s one of my perfect films.

The hell you say. Keaton is still the best live action Batman. Yeah, I said it

As for this thread, I nominate E.T. What a pile of shit.

Keaton only gets the title by default thanks to Bale’s inexplicable Batman voice.

Keaton is the best if you aren’t counting West, Kilmer, Clooney, or Bale.

Aliens
It’s a much shorter timeframe than childhood to adulthood. More like from the first viewing in the theater to every subsequent viewing. The first time I saw it was unlike any movie experience I’ve had since. I sat with my hands over my face, but with my fingers parted because even though I was freaking out I couldn’t stop watching.

Aliens ruined about 60% of movies for me, mainly because I’ve been chasing that visceral, “I’m on a roller coaster inside the theater” feeling that I got when I watched it for the first time. I remember how excited I was when it first appeared on HBO and how disappointed I was when I didn’t get the same rush off of it that I’d gotten that first time.

And it doesn’t help that so many bad-and a few decent-movies have appropriated ideas, scenes and characters from Aliens.

Inspired by Vsys114’s post over in the James Bond, for me the best example of this type of movie is pretty much any James Bond movie starring Roger Moore. I loved those films to pieces as a kid but now they’re just too goofy to enjoy, especially after developing an appreciation for the Connery films.

Growing up Roger Moore was “my” James Bond and I loved the movies to death too. Fortunately, For Your Eyes Only which happens to have Moore is also one of the best overall Bond films too.

I think I actually enjoy the Roger Moore Bond films more now. When I was younger I thought they were too campy, especially compared to the older ones, but now I appreciate that that was the intent and I just go with it.