Moving Oblivion to a new computer

If I want to run Oblivion on my new computer, can I simply install Oblivion on the new system, then move my current Oblivion folders over to the new one to replace the folders in the new install? Or are there pointers, reg entries, etc. that would cause that not to work?

I haven’t tried this for this particular game, but I don’t think that oblivion would require reg edits for your save games. I can’t think of any game that needed reg edits for saves.

Moving your save files from old to new into the same spot should be just fine.

I could be wrong though. You got nothing to lose

FWIW, I did precisely this for Morrowind and it worked fine.

I was thinking of more than just the saved games, since I have so many mods active, ini tweaks, etc. I suppose the worst that can happen is that it doesn’t work.

Yeah it should work. When I wanted to reinstall the game I uninstalled everything after copying the savefiles, installed the game again, then copied back the savefiles and it worked normally.

EDIT: No idea about mods though.

Mods and whatnot are stored in the Data subdir of the Oblivion dir, just copy that over after you install Oblivion off disc and patch. Copy over your “My Documents\My Games\Oblivion” dir for the ini tweaks and save games. Copy over any .ini files from the original pc’s “\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion” folder too, they may control which mods are being loaded. Not sure if you’ll have to re-do your load order in OBMM. If you use the BSA edit style Archive Invalidation trick in OBMM you’ll probably have to re-do that as well.

Well, on first pass it appears to work. I had to run the mod manager and re-check everything, but a short playing session seems to indicate this works. We’ll see - thanks.