Moving to Portland

Fair. I’ve been here in West Michigan for 20 years and put down enough roots that it’s a much narrower distinction for me, but everyone has different tastes!

Oh, just to follow up. Food was good at Tasty n Sons. I was not quite prepared for the price/ quantity, it was the single most expensive meal I had in Portland, but the chicken biscuit was definitely quality. Also had one of the chocolate potatoe donut holes and a small order of their potatoes.

Honestly the potatoes may have been the best part.

Potatoes Bravas, if any of you find yourself there. If I go again, I might just order a large that and be done. Worth the hour twenty it took to get there from Beaverton by train and bus.

Thought of another terrific, not fancy, restaurant recommendation. Boke Bowl is an Asian noodles and buns place I love.

Oh, from the name, I was expecting a homey/country cooking kind of place, but that menu screams expensive.

edit: Whoops, didn’t realize I was reading an old thread.

Ha, no worries. Yeah I didn’t look at the menu before hand. Just went on recommendation.

And not that old. I only formally relocated… last Monday. So I’m here in Portland to stay for now. My family will be joining at some point in the coming months.

I, contrary to the advice, am staying in Vancouver. Renting a room. Had a place in Beaverton but it was dragging on too long, and I couldn’t afford to wait indefinitely. So far the drive isn’t terrible, not any worse than what I dealt with in Chicago. Plus my alternate route takes me through Forest Park, which is a cool mountain road. It’s not fast, but it is fun.

well, I swear during summer that the roads are 20% less congested because so many people are out of town vacationing / camping and once Sept 1st hits (or whenever school kicks back into gear), you’re going to be in for a rude awakening. Are you going over the St John’s bridge?

That’s Portland for ya.

Yup, that’s the one.

It wasn’t my first choice, but it’s the way things fell. I had a place that fit the (admittedly tight due to still having the mortgage in Chicago) budget, or I could wait a few days to finalize things with the other place. Which wasn’t a sure thing yet.

I opted to take the place available, rather than risk losing out and having to take a hotel well beyond any reimbursement rate, or sleep in my car.

Moving across country is fun!