Music that you listened to in College

I spent 10 years in college - half of them as a radio dj on college radio, so you can take Lurbs list, add Kunikos with a healthy dollop of Smiths/Cure… and a bunch of other stuff and that would be my soundtrack.

“But the Truth is you don’t know anything”

TMBG, specially the Flood album.
Five String Serenade by Mazzy Star
My Sister, by Juliana Hatfield. (thought this could be close to high school as I distinctly remember blasting it on purpose to annoy my sister)

*Note that it is not my favourite - I miss my Lincoln tape. It’s just the closest time period to college.

Me too – I fleshed out my classic-rock and soul knowledge in college. (Except we had the Stones, Beatles, Hendrix and James Brown as our major influences.) But for contemporary songs from college:

Fight The Power, Public Enemy
Been Caught Stealing, Jane’s Addiction
Only Shallow, My Bloody Valentine
Jazz (We’ve Got), Tribe Called Quest
Breaking The Girl, Red Hot Chili Peppers
Here’s Where The Story Ends, The Sundays
Sure Shot, Beastie Boys

Daaaaamn it takes me back.

This is fun, listening to all these has made me start searching on some bands I remember playing heavily in college. I’m going by favorite bands during the time, so some songs may predate my actual college years ('88-'93).

The Cult is still a favorite.
Rain - love the wacked out dancers in the background
Love Removal Machine - kick ass

I was also a Waterboys fan - Whole of the Moon

Before there was Emo there was Eno! (and Brian Ferry) ;-) Roxy Music Avalon

Split Enz - Six Months in a Leaky Boat & History Never Repeats got endless replays on my turntable…yeah, I’m old school like that. I actually had dual turntables for mixing.

The Mission UK was a personal fave, though they never caught on here in the States. Tower of Strength
Mission UK evolved from the ashes of another great goth band, Sisters of Mercy. You probably remember their big hit This Corrosion

I was also a huge Marillion fan before they parted ways with Fish. Seeing them live with Rush still ranks as a Top 5 concert experience for me (along with Pink Floyd, The Who and Red Hot Chili Peppers at a very small club in Indy prior to them exploding onto the MTV scene).
Garden Party - Awesome
Incommunicado - Possibly the worst video for a good song ever produced

More later…

Holy shit, Slainte, your music collection must look almost identical to mine. I bought three copies of the Mission UK’s “Children” 'cause the cassette kept wearing out in my car stereo.

I have a CD now with all their hits, still listen to it every month or so. God’s Own Medicine was my favorite album, and I had a lot of special releases on vinyl (7" and 12" remixes). I saw them live in concert in like 1987, great show.

Same deal with Marillion, I bought all the regular stuff, but have tons of import special edition stuff too. When Fish left, I bought his first couple of solo albums. They weren’t terrible, but they didn’t have the power of the band behind them.

I wasn’t all goth and progressive though, I had a huge 80’s/90’s metal collection too, plus I had a lot of mid-80’s new wave stuff. I’ll dredge up more favorites on YouTube later.