Must reading on Israel

Here is the cover story in this week’s U.S. News – an essential and brave argument in the face of obstinate hypocrisy.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/031103/usnews/3anti.htm

Highlights (or lowlights, depending…)

Just as historic anti-Semitism has denied individual Jews the right to live as equal members of society, anti-Zionism would deny the collective expression of the Jewish people, the State of Israel, the right to live as an equal member of the family of nations. Israel’s policies are thus subjected to criticism that causes it to be singled out when others in similar circumstances escape any criticism at all. Surely if any other country were bleeding from terrorism as Israel is today, there would be no question of its right to defend itself.

This phenomenon has its origins in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war…With the territories seized at the end of the war, the “plucky little Jewish state” was no more. In the years since, as it responded again and again to Arab attacks, sympathy for Israel eroded further still as the world’s TVs broadcast images not of terrorists but of armed Israelis responding to terrorism. Only somehow the word “responding” too often got lost in the chaos.

Is Israel’s approach, which seeks to minimize civilian casualties, the same as that of the terrorists, who seek to maximize it? … Such questions are prompted by an unprecedented reversal of history: Arab terrorists, incredibly, have managed to inspire more sympathy than their victims…As a consequence, the era of reconciliation that obtained between Israel and the world after the Holocaust is, tragically, no more. In much of the world’s news media and in its elite communities, as a result, there is a pattern of delegitimization of Israel.

In England, the guardian wrote that “Israel has no right to exist.” The observer described Israeli settlements in the West Bank as “an affront to civilization.” The New Statesman ran a story titled “A Kosher Conspiracy,” illustrated by a cover showing the gold Star of David piercing the Union Jack. The story implies that a Zionist-Jewish cabal is attempting to sway the British press to the cause of Israel. In France, the weekly Le Nouvel Observateur published an extraordinary libel alleging that Israeli soldiers raped Palestinian women so that their relatives would kill them to preserve family honor. In Italy, the Vatican’s L’Osservatore Romano spoke of Israel’s “aggression that’s turning into extermination,” while the daily La Stampa ran a Page 1 cartoon of a tank emblazoned with the Jewish star pointing its big gun at the infant Jesus, who cries out, “Surely they don’t want to kill me again.”

…tolerance, sadly, is not to be found in the world body created to foster universal values and human ideals–the United Nations. Tragically, the growth of international hostility to Israel has found its most prominent expression in the operations of the U.N. … the U.N. has adopted an almost reflexively anti-Israeli stance canted to the anti-Israeli majority of its membership. The U.N. today is a regular forum for vicious anti-Israel attacks, conferring on the spurious and the hateful the false cloak of reason and legitimacy, and thus has become an organization for the conservation, not the reduction, of the Middle East conflict. Some U.N. actions simply defy belief. At the World Conference Against Racism held in Durban, South Africa, Israel–the only democracy in the Middle East committed to civil rights, the rule of law, and Arab participation in democratic government–was attacked by Arab and Third World nations and accused of genocide, ethnic cleansing, and apartheid. Then there is the Fourth Geneva Convention, drafted originally in response to the atrocities of the Nazi regime, to protect people like diplomats and visitors subjected to a military occupation. Last year, U.N. conferees met and, for the first time in the 52 years since its adoption, excoriated one country–Israel–for alleged violations. Not Cambodia and Rwanda, with their well-documented records of genocide. Not Zimbabwe, with its racist economic policies. Not the Balkan states, with their ethnic cleansing. Not even China, with its dismal record on Tibet. Only Israel was singled out.

The [U.N. Commission on Human Rights] went so far as to affirm, last April 15, the legitimacy of suicide bombing against Israelis, or in judgment-free U.N.-speak, “all available means, including armed struggle.”

The Arabs, having rendered the Palestinians homeless by refusing to accept partition in 1948 and having kept many of the Palestinians who fled the battle homeless in Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan by refusing to resettle them in their lands, now blame this homelessness on the Jews.

Even the foreign press, in regular contact with all sides during the conflict of 1948, wrote nothing to suggest that the flight of the Palestinians was not voluntary. Nor did Arab spokesmen, such as the Palestinian representative to the U.N., Jamal Husseini, or the secretary general of the Arab League, blame the Jews contemporaneously with the 1948 war for the flight of Arabs and Palestinians. In fact, those who fled were urged to do so by other Arabs. As then Prime Minister of Iraq Nuri Said put it, “the Arabs should conduct their wives and children to safe areas until the fighting has died down.” One Arab who fled encapsulated this thinking in the Jordanian newspaper Al-Difaa: “The Arab governments told us, `Get out so that we can get in.’ So we got out, but they did not get in.”

The U.N., through its administration of the camps, has made a complicated problem infinitely more so. How? U.N. officials define refugees in the Middle East to include the descendants of persons who became refugees in 1948. In other parts of the world, descendants of refugees are not defined as refugees. The result of this unique treatment has been to increase the numbers of Arab refugees from roughly 700,000 to over 4 million, by including children, grandchildren, even great-grandchildren. As a former prime minister of Syria, Khaled al Azm, wrote in his memoirs, “It is we who demanded the return of the refugees while it is we who made them leave. We brought disaster upon them. [We] exploited them in executing crimes of murder and throwing bombs. All this in the service of political purposes.” And so it goes, to this very day.

The notion of land for peace bears exploring. If it is taken to mean that Israel must turn over more land until peace is achieved and Arab belligerence ended, the incurious may be left with the conclusion that the lack of peace must be the result of Israel’s failure to yield sufficient land…But the story is not one of occupation of the West Bank by Israel. If the term “occupation” had any relevance at all, it was lost three years ago with Arafat’s rejection of Barak’s proposal for a Palestinian state. The issue is Palestinian refusal to grant Israel the right to exist as a Jewish state.

The insight of Amos Oz, the liberal Israeli writer, is pertinent. He is haunted, he said, by the observation that before the Holocaust, European graffiti read, “Jews to Palestine,” while today it has been changed, to “Jews out of Palestine.” The message to Jews, Oz says, is simple: “Don’t be here, and don’t be there. That is, don’t be.”

Do those in the west hold Israel to a higher standard? Uhh, yeah. Israel’s a representative democracy established on a European model. Damn right they’re going to get criticized when they start doing things that other western countries don’t.

Every country, every part in the Middle East has contributed to the current lousy situation. Finger pointing won’t help the problem, and the general expectation of myself, and probably a couple other people, is that Israel, as the only western democracy in the region, has the best chance of actually doing something to fix it. I’ve got high hopes for them, and can’t help but be disappointed when Sharon or the Knesset goes off and does something to pander to the Orthodox Jews or the settlers.

I wish I didn’t agree with Xpav on this . But it’s the closest I think he’s ever come to giving Israel any props. Why stoke the fire by building more new settlements as reported today in the paper? And If anyone heard Bush’s press conference today, the lame duck answer on middle east peace progress will turn your stomach.

Bush needs to take a stand on this one. Although you Bush-bashers out there will criticize him for just breathing, he has a chance to make history for generations by forcing a land/state settlement before his second term is over. He has the power, but no will. I can’t figure out why the administration has been taking this wishy-washy non-commital stance on this issue. It is a major source of our problems with terrorism and will not go away unless we do something about it, by force if necessary.

He isn’t going to have a second term, so it’s a little academic.

A) Bush’s “crowd” really, really does not like the Palestinians.
B) Bush’s strongest supporters - evangelicals - really really do not like Palestinians.

All that article does is rehash the same old claims used to defend Israel whenever anyone criticizes its actions. There are only six million Jews in a sea of 120 million Arabs, so how can the Jews be wrong? Arabs are terrorists so Israel is free to do whatever it likes to bring these murderers to justice. Skinheads have desecrated some synangogues in Paris, so whatever happens in the West Bank is fully justified. Arab governments aren’t helping the Palestinians, so Israel is right to hem them in with open-air prisons. Arafat turned down the 2000 deal, so Israel is allowed to impose a military solution. The Arab press is virulently anti-semitic, so Israel gets to hate them in return.

Come on. All this crap is the same old justification, the same old revenge nonsense that keeps the wheel of blood turning. Not a single time in that article does the author say “You know, we’ve been bastards too, every now and then.” It’s all blame, blame, blame. It’s the UN’s fault, it’s Europe’s fault, it’s the Guardian’s fault, it’s Arafat’s fault, it’s the skinheads who spraypainted the swastika on the synagogue’s fault. There always has to be a scapegoat. Take some responsibility for your own sins, Israel. I think it’s the hypocrisy in articles like this one that galls the world the most. If Israel owned up to at least some of its own bloody history, I think a lot of criticism would be deflected. But all it does is push the blame game and keep building settlements.

I think you’re half right. When Israel does the wrong thing (building settlements, for example), they get attacked and the world community condemns Israel. But when they do the right thing (pulling out of Lebanon, for example), they get attacked and the world community just ignores it.

The point I take from Daniel’s post (maybe not his point in making it), is not so much that Israel is always playing the victim card, but that the world community can’t spend its time denying Israel’s legitimacy and then get upset when Israel essentially tunes them out. It’s not that Israel is saying “The Guardian says we have no right to exist; wah, wah, wah, we’re being victimized”, so much as saying “Guardian, if you say we have no right to exist, why should we give a damn what you think we should do about the Palestinians?”

And so when the world community makes some good points (even a stopped clock is right twice a day), they just fade into the background noise of all the crap.

Gav

But Gav, even your post indicates that the whole world is wrong, and Israel is right. You presuppose the existence of anti-semitism. And personally, I don’t see it. I see a lot of people fed up with Israeli oppression of the Palestinians, people empathizing with the underdog, which is pretty easy to do when you see kids throwing rocks at tanks. Anyhow, I can only speak for myself. I’ve nothing against Israel’s existence as a state. I’d love to someday go to the region and freely travel from Jordan to Israel to Lebanon and back again, enjoying all of the good things that all of the people there have to offer. But a lot of people on both sides are doing their damndest to make sure I can never do that.

You presuppose the existence of anti-semitism. And personally, I don’t see it.

Likewise, you seem not to “see” that Israel is the only country singled out for censure by the U.N., when the governments of Cambodia, Zimbabwe, the various Balkan states, and China are not. In any of those countries one may find varying degrees of unprovoked apartheid, subjugation, state terror directed at ethnic groups, and even open genocide; yet Israel is the only nation ever singled out for humanitarian censure.

Why would you not describe this singling-out as “anti-semitism?” What is a more acceptable term to you? “Singling-out-of-the-Jewish-state-ism?”

Wait, are you saying that Israel is the only nation ever censured on humanitarian grounds by the UN? Is that really a claim you want to publically make, Dan?

Please re-read (or read for the first time) the information already presented on this thread…

At the World Conference Against Racism held in Durban, South Africa, Israel–the only democracy in the Middle East committed to civil rights, the rule of law, and Arab participation in democratic government–was attacked by Arab and Third World nations and accused of genocide, ethnic cleansing, and apartheid. Then there is the Fourth Geneva Convention, drafted originally in response to the atrocities of the Nazi regime, to protect people like diplomats and visitors subjected to a military occupation. Last year, U.N. conferees met and, for the first time in the 52 years since its adoption, excoriated one country–Israel–for alleged violations. Not Cambodia and Rwanda, with their well-documented records of genocide. Not Zimbabwe, with its racist economic policies. Not the Balkan states, with their ethnic cleansing. Not even China, with its dismal record on Tibet. Only Israel was singled out.

…and once you have, please explain to me how one may suitably explain such instances of singling-out of Israel for censure?

Prediction: Not one of you will make an attempt to explain it, much less succeed in adequately explaining it.

I think I already did. Israel is a western democracy. The world expects more from them.

yeah, and the Palistinian terrorist organizations expect all the jews to die. Do you want to publically disagree with that?

No.

What’s your point? That terrorists and dictators will spew garbage about Israel, the US, and whatever they can? Yeah, well, duh. It’s kinda expected. Does anyone really care what the UN General Assembly says? No. Does anyone really care what various UN conferences say? No.

(Note: the UN Security Councils, aid agencies, and peacekeeping forces are another matter).

What’s your point? That terrorists and dictators will spew garbage about Israel, the US, and whatever they can? Yeah, well, duh. It’s kinda expected. Does anyone really care what the UN General Assembly says? No. Does anyone really care what various UN conferences say? No.

(Note: the UN Security Councils, aid agencies, and peacekeeping forces are another matter).

why should security council decisions be any different, or hold any more authority? They don’t even intend to enforce any resolutions they to make anyway, after months of arduous politicking and compromising, indecision and inaction. So I guess I agree with you: No one really cares what the UN has to say, until somebody wants to do something and the UN’s disapproval is used by their enemies for a political disadvantage.

The point is why should the ‘world’ expect more from isreal and expect less from others? It’s like world affirmative action. Those fucking jews are keeping you down, brother!

I think you proved morris’s point here. The world expects more from israel, thereby uncovering the double standard and prejudiced viewpoint of the jewish state. It may not be outright ‘anti-’ semitism, but it sure is similar.

Like Xpav said, all you have to do is count the number of Western democracies that are committing these type atrocities. It’s a sad state when their big defense to the criticism of the world is that they’re not any worse than terrorists or random despots.

The point is that the world expects more from Western democracies. The fact that a totalitarian regime is very authoritarian shouldn’t surprise you.

Israel is a western democracy. The world expects more from them.

Oh, I see your logic. So if Israeli society would only revert to the medieval/barbaric state of its enemies, you’d be more forgiving of Israel’s efforts to prevent and retaliate against terrorist strikes.

That makes a fuckload of sense.

It’s a sad state when their big defense to the criticism of the world is that they’re not any worse than terrorists or random despots.

Actually, their “big defense” is that they seek to minimize civilian casualties while their enemies seek to maximize civilian casualties. Not that you seem to care about or even acknowledge the difference.

Furthermore, since “the criticism of the world” is not aimed at Cambodia, Zimbabwe, Serbia, China, nor any other of the globe’s routine perpetrators of ethnic cleansing/apartheid/genocide, but is instead aimed solely at Israel (a liberal democracy anguished at the prospect of continued occupation and war), I do not blame even dovish Israelis for wanting to give “the world” a great big finger.

That isn’t my logic at all. Israel isn’t a despotic regime. Friedman said it – Israel’s got a choice.

• Democratic
  • Jewish
  • All the land promised to them in the bible

They can pick 2. They’ve avoided choosing what they want to be for the last damn 30 years and its made the problem worse. Why do I give them them a hard time? Gee, because they’re a western democracy that can make these choices. Do I expect the Arab countries to do anything? Not really. Israel is the one country in this whole mess that, if they had the will, could do some good in fixing this. It’d be a huge sacrifice, but they could.

“But why do they have to do it – the Arabs won’t!” — well, simple, because you know, the Israelis are the good guys in all this.

Actually, their “big defense” is that they seek to minimize civilian casualties while their enemies seek to maximize civilian casualties. Not that you seem to care about or even acknowledge the difference.

Oh bullshit Dan. Here we fucking go. Because I think that Israel refuses to bite bullet and do things like remove the settlers from the west bank, I’m saying that its all Israel’s fault. There ain’t no slope here, shit, man, its a cliff.

Furthermore, since “the criticism of the world” is not aimed at Cambodia, Zimbabwe, Serbia, China, nor any other of the globe’s routine perpetrators of ethnic cleansing/apartheid/genocide, but is instead aimed solely at Israel (a liberal democracy anguished at the prospect of continued occupation and war), I do not blame even dovish Israelis for wanting to give “the world” a great big finger.

A liberal democracy anguised at the prospect of continued occupation that yet – still continues to move in settlers. If Israel doesn’t make up its mind, in a few decades, with the population curves going the way they are right now, the problem will be worse.