My Cat Died

A few years ago, the cat I grew up with died. We got Maggie the same year my brother was born, so we had her since I was just under 3 years old. My brother was 19 when she died, so she used all 9 of her lives.

It’s incredibly sad losing a lifelong pet like that. Don’t go rushing out to get another pet to fill the void, because it doesn’t work. You’ve got my condolences man.

Thanks everyone. We aren’t getting another cat, at least not for a long time, and our financial situation can allow us to take care of a brand new cat.

However, my little brothers, 6 years old, want a goldfish, which I find funny, since Stimpy was Orange. Maybe its their small way of coping with losing the animal that been there since the day they came home.

Who knows. Either way, waking up and not having him being right there was pretty hard this morning.

Thanks again everyone.

My consolenzes. Let me show dem to you.

Sorry to hear it, Demon G Sides. Losing a beloved pet is harder than non-pet-owners realize. Eventually you’ll remember the good times more than his passing. He was a lucky cat; your family gave him a safe, happy life.

Sorry to read about your loss, Demon. My condolences as a fellow orange cat lover.

Losing a pet is SO hard. I’m sorry to hear that, Demon.

I had to give away my three beautiful black and white cats when I got my divorce. My sister is allergic, and my ex was moving back in with his parents too, who have two large labradors. Letting go of those three was harder than letting go of my marriage. Not sure what that says about my marriage. I still get tears in my eyes when thinking about it.

Sorry, Demon. Sounds like he was a good pal to you.

Sorry about your loss. My mom is on the verge of losing the sweetest cat she’s ever owned; it’s painful to watch a loved pet die slowly and then to finally lose it. Don’t be afraid to grieve, but also love again. It’s good to be attached.

Sorry to hear that, my condolences.

That’s sad. Too bad you can’t get another kitten because it sounds like you were wonderful compatriats and a great owner.

Any vets here… why do so many cats get Diabetes?

Same reason people get diabetes – too much food and not enough exercise.

Dude, you have my sympathies. I had a cat that got hit and killed by a car. Very grim… Just remember all the times your cat made you smile. I always remember my cat (milo) sat on my wifes arm meowing at me :D.

My sympathies as well. We lost a couple of cats earlier this year, and it’s always really sad.

Sorry to hear about your cat. It’s always hard to loose a pet.
We had a feline health scare in early september. Our 10 year old cat Grendel (seen in the XMAS lewt thread) developed acute kidney failure from a bad kidney infection and was hospitalized at the emergency vet for 5 days (ouch - for the cat and the pocket book). Depending on the vet we talked to he either was 'doing OK, or not going to make it at any given time. We were on the emotional roller coaster for much of the week.

It was not fun. Anyways long story short, Grendel recovered - but is now the receipent of twice a week subcutaneous fluid infusions.
Ben and I live with two old feline men (get off my lawn you kittens!) and are well versed in senior cat health maintenance. (Ozy gets thyroid drugs twice a day). Fun .

Edit - I wonder if cats are prone to kidney problems because they have evolved to eat only protein, and excess protein can be hard on the kidneys.

I’m sorry to hear that Demon. I just lost my second one this year last week. She was my baby and the first one I was truly attached too.

My condolences, Demon G.

'Tis the season it seems. My family furball, Gizzy (named such because at birth she reminded my mother of a chicken gizzard) has also passed away, yesterday. I visit every year at christmas, and it seems she stuck around just long enough to say goodbye. Poor thing was all skin and bone, and moved exceedingly languid, so much so that hopping up on a chair seemed like slow motion. Her favorite rocking chair now looks so very empty.

My mother always assumed karma would get her early for killing her canary within a few months of joining the household, but Gizzy made it to the very distinguished age of 19… I wonder if that’s a record somewhere.

Rip, Gizzy.

!

What can a person do to help an indoor cat get more exercise?

Put its food up high, but not too high, Pinard. Also, play with them. May not seem smart, but, they’ll come around eventually.

My two cats are something like 13 years old. One of them has been pretty fat for his whole life, and now he’s losing weight. Not at an alarming rate, but it’s definitely noticeable. He’s actually probably still overweight, but not as much as he used to be. What’s the deal there?

Not to scare you, but that is exactly the same thing that happened to my cat.

I’d get it checked out, just to be sure.