My cat is sick!

So here’s the current theory on what’s wrong with my kitty:

http://www.google.com/search?q=feline+vestibular+disorder

I came home from work today to find her on the bed, barely able to move, and making these horrible sounds instead of meowing. Wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t drink, and judging by the stains on the carpet, she’d thrown up 5 or 6 times today. Kind of tilted her head at this odd angle, too.

But according to the vet (blood work came up clear), this happens to cats all the time! Clears up by itself. Freaky. Hope she gets better, she’s a sad sight at the moment.

Huh. I remember that there were like 2-3 days when my cat behaved in a strange way. Being more passive than usual, acting and meowing as if something hurts her when I tried to pick her up. However, no vomitting and whatsoever, and a few hours later (or on the next day) everything was back to normal again.

Mind you, it’s been only 2-3 times. My cat is 16 years old meanwile and I don’t think she’s done anyting like that in the past years. I hope your vet was right and that your cat is going to be fine again soon.

At least she still has a head.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Must drive you crazy that the vet is so blase about it. One of my cats had something similar a few years ago (minus the vomiting). After five days I finally took her into the vet. She moved my cat around, watched her fall over a few times, then commented “no big deal - she should shake it soon. I am concerned about that noise she’s making, though…” “Um - she’s purring.” No kidding.

Anyway, I took the kitty home and after an hour of coaxing, finally got her to drink some water. The next day she was eating again, and a few days later she was back to normal.

Hope your kitty gets better soon.

Oh god. I thought she’d be fine today; it only takes a couple days to clear up.

I came home today and she was laying under my bed. She’s gone.

Sorry to hear she didn’t make it.

Man, that is awful. Sorry Jason.

Jason, I’m so sorry, man. That sucks.

That’s terrible, Jason. I’m really sorry to hear it.

Damn. Allow me to add my condolances. I’d be pretty upset, too.

Very sorry to hear about your cat, Jason.

Sorry to hear about that, Jason. I love cats far more than people, so the death of any feline is a sad event to me.

Sorry to hear that. It sucks.

I feel horribly guilty; I could have left her overnight for bloodwork and taken her to the vet and neurologist today; maybe they’d have found something. I got an eyedropper and some smoked salmon on the way home from work to try to get her to eat and drink if she hadn’t.

I could have worked from home today and kept an eye on her, but figured she’d be fine. And I just realized that she’d lost 4 pounds in the last 2 months, judging by the pet scale; maybe that had something to do with it? But she was perfectly fine saturday.

Lesson, I guess: be paranoid about your pet’s health.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Flame people flame people flame people flame people flame people OH FUCK, A CAT DIED, POUR OUT FEELING AND EMOTION AND ACT LIKE AN ACTUAL PERSON, flame people flame people flame people flame people flame people

Sorry to hear that, Jason.

And I just realized that she’d lost 4 pounds in the last 2 months, judging by the pet scale; maybe that had something to do with it?

Hmm, cancer can do that. (But so can many other things.)

I’m sad to hear it. Before the ex got the cats (aka kids) in the divorce, they were pretty important. I would still be really hurt if I heard one of them died.

I feel your pain man, I’ve had cats die on me, but not for a long time thankfully.

Hey, Jobe? Fuck you and anyone that looks like you, you insensitive semiliterate serial-masturbating fuckhead.

And I’d like to thank Jobe for providing a top-notch example of why.

Fuck you, you little shit.

My condolences on the loss, Jason. It’s easy enough to not notice symptoms or just dismiss them as nothing serious (you never want to believe it is), so you shouldn’t feel guilty about it.

A few years ago one of my cats (the older of the two) started to drool a bit. I just assumed it was because she was getting old. It turned out to be cancer. It came up and took her away in the space of a couple of months. I remember sitting at the vet’s office with her curled up on my lap while they waited for me to make the decision on what to do. Even though she had lost weight and was beginning to have problems eating, she still purred like nobody’s business as I scratched her ears, finally blubbering my good-bye to her as I made my decision.

Pets are great, one of the few pure joys in life. Both of my cats were given to me by others who were moving away and couldn’t keep them and I’m so glad I got the chance to care for them.