Name a truly great board game from before 2008

OGRE/GEV: Originally separately released as snap-case games by Steve Jackson Games, speaking of…

Car Wars

Illuminati

But hey, I’m still on pocket-sized games. Heritage had an entire little division devoted to these “pocket games”. Five bucks. And for that you got:

Demon Lords, which was designed by Arnold Hendrick. Absolutely 4x on a board style game. Five bucks.

Dragon Rage: a fantastic, asymmetrical boardgame in which one player is the dragon attacking a castle and wreaking havoc and collecting hoard…and the other is the castle, fighting back, trying to survive and hold onto as much gold as possible.

But now for a couple of “WarGames” that are kind of…just strategy games that happen to be about war?

Caesar at Alesia is an old AH game from the 1970s. It is super asymmetrical; the Romans are trying to siege down Alesia against the Gauls who are inside the siege…but also OUTSIDE the siege, trying to break it. It does my favorite gaming thing ever: it never really feels like it’s snowballing to a conclusion. A game of Caesar can go crazily back and forth with neither side necessarily doomed until fairly close to the end of the game. Another thing: fairly simple design. This isn’t too tough a game to grasp, and lends itself to frequent replays.

South Mountain an almost forgotten title from a long-lost publisher (West End Games). If I told you that South Mountain was a game about a fairly small and very obscure Civil War battle, you’d probably think you’ve got this one pegged, right? Wrong. The game mechanics aren’t really difficult at all. Almost chess-like. And again, asymetrical sides. The really interesting thing this game does is with the game board. It should be EASY for the Union side to push the tiny rebel forces off the mountain but…the terrain and movement rules make this game constantly interesting. It ends up being a game where the Confederate side tries to continually harass and prevent the Union side from concentrating enough force to get the high ground. The Union is trying to do just that, and then they can start to sweep the rebels out from around them. Another game where there’s no snowball effect. Up until fairly close to the end – and often even after one of the game’s big win points – Union getting the high ground – it still feels like things aren’t settled for either side.

Circus Maximus: It’s a racing game. But you can try to destroy the other cars, kill the drivers, etc. A tighter, more streamlined design that Car Wars, Circus Maximus’s simple but outstanding rules set was so good that the guy who designed the video game Qvadriga that came out a few years ago just copied it lock, stock and barrel. Which is fine!

Wooden Ships & Iron Men: another destroy the ships kind of game, it’s been cool to see videogames from Pirates! to a bunch of Assassin’s Creed iterations essentially copy its rock/paper/scissors mechanic of shot, grape shot, chain shot, and double shot. Takes a while to teach the wind rules to new players, but once you’ve done that it’s a blast.

French Foreign Legion: a terrific little game from what is hands-down my favorite game company of the 1980s, Yaquinto Games. This was one of their “album games”, which meant the game was literally packaged like a record album. Another asymmetric that feels like a really good tower defense game before people knew what tower defense games were. If you played the French Foreign Legion side, your guys could level up in a way during game play if they survived during the fort siege.

A couple of games with SUPER interesting mechanics that may not be everyone’s cup of tea:

Ace of Aces series: If you’re looking for epic-length narrative, campaigns, what-have-you…keep looking. If you’re looking for “Let’s have a shitload of fun playing a game that will end in 15-30 minutes”, Ace of Aces is just bloody brilliant. You get a book, I get a book, depending on the planes we’ve chosen. We call out our maneuvers, go to a new page in the book, and then look to see how our planes are positioned. We do that maneuvering to try to get in position to shoot. There are variants where you can roll dice on the shooting, I think, but the purest way to play has no such die-rolling at all. It’s pure out-maneuver and shoot down your opponent gameplay. The same company has a Wild West shootout game, and another company used a similar design for a dungeon-crawly style fight game.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: My copy of this came in a rubber-coated brown binder, with lots of pullouts and useful other stuff. Just a great detective game that’s playable solo or with a group of friends. I think the current game being sold (and expanded upon) is essentially this exact game and design, just with some upgraded components.

You know what traditional mass-market boardgame from my childhood still holds up as a fantastic game, way ahead of its time (and still SUPER fun to play, said the guy who has played it in the last 10 years while babysitting nieces/nephews)? Careers. Seriously! It’s a game where the players choose their own victory condition track (Money, Fame, Happiness) in which the victory track you don’t choose can still impact you and can’t be totally ignored. Multiple paths to wins, multiple movement tracks, a whole “college” mechanic that makes things MORE asymmetrical…seriously, Careers is just an absolute wonder of a game design. That the mechanics are simple enough to make it accessible to kids doesn’t make it a terrible game, either.

Some incredible wargames, as noted above, are before 2008.

As for very mainstream games I’d posit both Blood Bowl 3rd edition (1994) and Space Hulk hold up amazingly, despite being Games Workshop games (with Blood Bowl being very well played even now thanks to the digital versions).

This would be my pick too. Maybe for 2p best game ever.

It was mostly just a convenient 10-year threshold when I started floating the proposal as a discussion prod/troll a couple of years ago. But as I considered it more seriously, I would point to Pandemic for making boardgaming more friendly. Or at least attempting to (I think Pandemic is terrible, especially as an entry point for people unfamiliar with boardgaming). Its success created a huge shift in the industry. It’s basically the Jaws/Star Wars of boardgaming. But that’s also around the time deck-builders and worker placement were invented, both of which address problems in traditional boardgames, and both of which have been significant influences on design and design philosophy since then.

And this thread is an interesting exercise, but it’s markedly different from the Real Boardgaming Threads. I read those and get excited to try all the games you guys bring up. I even get excited to re-play the games I’ve already played! But my overwhelming response to the stuff in this thread is, “There but for the grace of God go I…” :)

-Tom

Chess seems to hold up well, too.

Ooh, yeah. I can’t believe I left that off my list. Consulting Detetive really was a major improvement over all its successors.

Thanks Tom!

I actually fell out of boardgaming in my last move, but in my new place here I have my consolidated box of sleeved Race for the Galaxy and expansion Cards and Power Grid. This has made me go to BGG to see if there’s anything new on those lines should I make the effort to get back into boardgaming… It does sound like RftG is a the “final evolution” of its line though (it was the Best Game Ever when I left and remains so for me…)

I think it’s time for you to put up, and show us the games you think dethroned the classics.

Looking at some of the older games that still have a decent showing at my local con, I will also submit:

• Advanced Squad Leader
  • Panzer Leader/Blitz.

That would pretty much be me listing my favorite boardgames. :) You can go to the reviews and sort by platform and then rating to see some of them.

But the example that started this is Dune. Dune was great back in the day, from before good boardgame design had been invented. But if I wanted to play a game with asymmetrical factions and lots of player interaction, and especially something that didn’t take four hours and require exactly six players, I would pick Root, Vast, Rebellion, Sidereal Confluence, maybe Rising Sun. And if I were really attached to the Dune theming, I’d pick Dune: Imperium.

So, there you go. I have put up and I can do this all day! But I’d much rather read people’s picks for old games that they think hold up.

-Tom

It’s hard not to be persnickety about a statement like that, maybe “popularized” would have been a better word? Here’s BGG games with Worker Placement as a mechanic sorted by year released that came out before Caylus in 2005 (note halfway through the page it switches to games with no release date, they don’t count).

This doesn’t discount what you said, I just couldn’t help myself. Pandemic popularized cooperative board games in 2008, Dominion popularized deck-building (and arguably invented it) in 2008 and Agricola popularized worker placement in 2007. Seems like a good benchmark based on that to me.

Demon Lord’s sounds cool but it doesn’t even have a BGG entry.

Are you talking about the Star Wars game? Do you like it better than Twilight Imperium?

Man, you just made me miss Rebellion. Due to Covid it’s been over a year since I played it. I feel it is almost a perfect game.

Downforce is a reimplementation of Top Race from 1996, and Downforce is great! (So I’m assuming Top Race is too.)

I also adore Mexica from 2002 and would love to know if a game replaces it. It’s the only area-control game I’ve played where players build the areas they’re fighting over while fighting over them.

tenor2

Notes future Patreon review requests…