NAS (Network Attached Storage), 2022 Edition

Yes, rebuilding the array takes forever. You can monitor progress at the CLI with mdstat.

Yep, though hardware speed improves, hardware capacities also grow, so any large scale storage operation like RAID rebuilds still take about the same amount of time. Before I upgraded my ancient Unraid array to more modern hardware after properly considering storage bus throughputs in the design, replacing a failed drive would result in a 3 day rebuild, where I would be tensely hoping for no power interruptions! Good times!

Don’t know about unraid, but if a mdstat rebuild is interrupted it will seamlessly continue when you turn it back on. Not that I’d recommend testing that out, but I have.

Two days later and only 7 hours to go!

So what do y’all use to back up folders to your NAS? When I was using external SATA drives in a dock to back up my photos/documents/etc, I’d just use a set of Robocopy scripts I’d created.

But if there’s good software that will keep an up-to-date incremental backup of specific folders (not my entire system) on my Synology, that doesn’t cause perf issues with games. Should I just use Synology Drive? Or do y’all have other recommendations?

Duplicati will do the job nicely and there are many other opensource/free tools as well.

I’m using Macrium Reflect to backup the C: drive of my windows 10 machine to Synology NAS.
Monthly full, weekly differential, daily incremental.

Seems to work fine and allows me to mount and browse the back up files as well.

Macrium got some good references on Qt3 but TBH no idea if it is any better than other backup solutions…

It’s better than Acronis shovelware these days. After Acronis took big money and became a unicorn, the founder(s) are too in the clouds to give the product any focus.

I still use Duplicati, to backup to both my NAS and cloud storage (end to end encrypted).

I use syncthing to sync the folders I care about (also with other computers on the network) and then do some overly complicated rsnapshot/rsync nonsense to do the incremental backups.

I also use Synology’s provided cloud sync thing to get a local copy of my google drive, and include that as well, just in case.