NBA 2017 - 2018

Four straight Finals. My 15-year-old self would never believe it.

As a Cavaliers fan, I just have to say…

sigh

So one good thing came out of this at least.

The Warriors dominated GS in the first half, but they collapsed in the second. It’s mind boggling that Dantoni didn’t make adjustments while they were in the midst of missing 27 consecutive three-pointers (27!!!). A lot of that goes toward tired legs in an exhausting series, but even then, assuming a 35% 3-point completion rate, the odds of missing 27 threes in a row is still 1 in 112,548.

Insane.

The Rockets PA guy is excited.

stevekerr

Rockets would not have won games 4 & 5 if Igoudala wasn’t injured.

Stat lines for the ages

That’s fair. Though Looney held his own out there, it was definitely a noticeable hole in the defense versus the Rockets.

Ouch.

Scoring and passing too. Those two losses were ultimately characterized by the Warriors making the same mistake the Rockets made most of the series in playing too much isolation ball. Remember that Igoudala is generally the primary ball handler (with Draymond and Steph the others) when he’s on the floor. Also a better 3-point shooting threat than Draymond/Looney/Bell. Without him on the floor, the ball just didn’t move like it usually does for the Warriors.

Real scoop? Hilarious if true (similar to the Durant sockpocket clusterfuck)
Another possible example to throw on the why social media is retarded pile.

Just read that story. Holy shit. That is amazing.

This is pretty curious:

The Ringer reported that it was anonymously tipped off by the source to the Twitter activity in February and began researching from there. In the article, The Ringer explains it monitored five different accounts and on May 22 reached out to the 76ers to verify if two of the accounts were in fact Colangelo’s. On that same afternoon, the three accounts that were not mentioned were switched from public to private. The Ringer said it reached back out to the organization Tuesday, asking about all five accounts. Colangelo confirmed Tuesday that only one was an account belonging to him.

Also:

He’s toast.

I can’t even enjoy this burner account gossip because I find it utterly awkward and embarrassing. It makes my skin crawl.

The best reddit comment was snark about what a good thing it was to fire Hinkie so he wouldn’t embarrass the 76ers or the NBA. I’m still slightly annoyed at what they did to him.

[EDIT] I know he resigned so I should have said they forced his hand.

Not only was it forced, it was forced by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver on the Sixers owners. Silver was afraid the Sixers would become a laughingstock under Hinkie, and he said Bryan Colangelo would restore the team to respectability. Har har.

Ah, the irony. Curiously, Silver has been pretty quiet today.

There’s a lot of talk here (in Philly) that it could have been Colangelo’s wife, or even son, since some of the tweets occurred during the GM’s press infrequent press conferences. If so, it is hard to imagine he didn’t know.

It is an utterly fascinating situation. The draft is in, what, three weeks? Will he still be running the show? Will big name free agents cough Lebron cough stay away because of the controversy? Would they fire him if they don’t have definitive proof? Would he ever get another job in the NBA?

Pull up a chair and grab the popcorn.

I realy hope he’s gone before the draft. He has a different vision than Brown, as evidenced by the philly.com article this morning, and this draft is just as important as the FA signing they’ll do this summer:

Jerryd Bayless and Trevor Booker are two examples. Colangelo signed Bayless to a three-year, $27 million contract in July 2016. He was signed to be the starting point guard but missed all but three games of the 2016-17 season with a torn ligament in his left wrist. When he did play, he did not fit into Brown’s playing style and wound up being the last player off the bench.

Now, the Sixers have to pay him around $8.5 million next season, and he’s still not in Brown’s plans.

Colangelo also sent Okafor, Nik Stauskas and a 2018 second-round pick to the Brooklyn Nets on Dec. 7 to acquire Booker, who was in the final year of his contract. The Sixers touted the power forward as a key to the team’s making a playoff push. But, unhappy with his role, Booker asked to be released two months later once he learned the Sixers would sign Ersan Ilyasova.

So, the Sixers gave up two assets and a second-round draft pick for a two-month rental. And, Ilyasova and Marco Belinelli, who signed separately in February, were Brown’s targets — not Colangelo’s.