NCAA Football (Not the Video Game)

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1292818410208985090?s=20

Per Dan Patrick to start the show today:

1. PAC 12 and B1G are going to cancel tomorrow
  2. Big 12 and ACC are on the fence
  3. SEC is looking to delay the decision and gather more teams to join them and evidently are working on an exclusive TV contract
  4. OU and Texas are fighting the rest of the Big 12 to keep it going
  5. PAC 12 was ready to cancel but didn’t want to be first
  6. B1G voted 12-2 to cancel (Nebraska & Iowa)

The only surprising part of all that is who voted to play in the B1G. I would’ve expected OSU and maybe someone like a Wisconsin.

Nebraska and Iowa. It’s a cornspiracy.

Free Press in Detroit saying the B1G 2020 Fall football season has indeed been canceled.

SEC might be trying to get Oklahoma and Texas into the fold for this rumbled-about TV contract. It would be a one-time thing, presumably.

As of late, I have had the tendency to see things through a rather dark and cynical lens. It just seems that this pandemic has brought the worst out of people.

The most rural red-state schools in the B1G also. Nebraska fans should probably be thankful for this, it gives them a year off from facing the fact that they are a middling program with questionable prospects. Heck, they can blame all the losses on the COVID off year for the next few years after as well.

One of the top comments on the reddit threads is that Iowa and Nebraska should play each other 10 times this year.

Nebraska will win the first 3 games, and then lose all the other games, each in a more bizarre and infuriating way than the previous game.

That’s a vile accuracy!

“Watching with interest”…more like watching in the same way a hungry labrador retriever watches a raw steak left out on a kitchen counter.

https://twitter.com/echartertrack/status/1292818218348949505?s=20

Maybe this will finally put the stake in the heart of the Big 12.

I was picturing Brad Pitt’s dog in Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, but that works too. :)

Radio show this weekend posted an interesting question. If the NCAA decided there could only be 4 power conferences, which conference do you think should go away.

3 of the 5 hosts picked the Pac12, the other 2 picked the ACC. To me if you look at the ACC you have Clemson and then absolutely nothing. The Big 12 also seems pretty bad with just Oklahoma being the only team thats really any good. Obviously you have Texas there but they haven’t really been good in quite a while either.

Who would everyone else choose?

Depends. Hoops remains a revenue sport, so…I’d still say the Big XII is the weakest link. Tell Kansas to make a deal with the Big East or something, and then let Texas and Oklahoma figure out whether they’re going SEC or PAC 12.

For their hypothetical radio conversation this move was strictly about Football, not taking into account other collegiate sports.

I was a little surprised so many picked the Pac-12. On one hand, we haven’t had a dominate team in a while. On the other hand, I think Oregon, Utah, Washington, and USC are all better than any team in the ACC not named Clemson so if you look at the conference as a whole it is stronger than the ACC.

The TV DMA’s are also better in the PAC 12 strictly from a revenue/TV viability standpoint.

If we’re taking TV into account and only football definitely ACC. Texas managed to spin up the Longhorn Network before going into a perpetual state of “maybe back”. Though if you include Notre Dame in the ACC… it’s a lot closer with the Big 12 imo.

The problem with the Big 12 is Texas drove off A&M, literally their 100 year rival, to get more money and dominate their conference. In many ways the epitome of Texas (the state) thinking, that it’s better to be the smartest kid on the short bus than the dumbest kid in gifted class.

Personally natural geography makes splitting up the Big 12 problematic - OK and TX just have a natural orbit together. Splitting Texas (the state) and OK into two or three or more geographic conferences creates a big burden on those conferences as far as scheduling and travel goes.

But It’s also (imo) just less fun as a viewer because they’d lose all their natural rivals. I like to go to Texas Tech games even though i didn’t go there, but over the years TT has made the in person experience both much fancier and horrible-horrible-ear bleeding horrible, with a PA/music system so intrusive and annoying it ruins watching the game entirely (to the point of drowning out all the bands 90% of the game). It’s even worse if TT were playing Atlantic Coast Central or Pacific Coast United, teams that you can’t really care about as regional rivals at all. I can put up with the horrible experience to watch them lose in the second half of the 3rd quarter against Oklahoma State or Texas, but i’d probably just listen to the Learfield Sports radio broadcast instead if they’re playing rando teams from thousands of miles away.